Songs you wish you didn't like...

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

I can't stop listening to a lot of stuff by P!nk. I listen to rock and punk music, mostly, with some other stuff thrown in, but there is a lot of stuff in there by her.

"Funhouse," "Sober," "Don't Let Me Get Me," "Just Like A Pill," just to name a few...she's the only pop female I can really listen to.

I like a lot of songs that I would be embarrassed to play in front of most people, mainly because of how much I get into them, honestly most of my mates would not appreciate me playing Paramore's Crushcrushcrush, Kid Keep Dancing's Prom Dance or Prodigy's Charly several times over at full blast liek I do when I'm on my own. But that's embarrassment, I LOVE liking those songs even if I don't admit it, there are very few I like and hat myself for it, even tracks by renowned dicks like Gary Glitter.

There are however several classes of tracks that I truly detest, most of them I can get away with because they produce nothing I like (Rappers going on about bitches and money being one kind, Female chauvenists like Beyonce being another). This song did immediately come to mind though:

NICKELBACK - IF TODAY WAS YOUR LAST DAY

I dunno, it really is a catchy song, but is extremely lazy and cliched songwriting designed entirely to make money from the mass market and of little to no artistic value whatsoever. But mostly I just absolutely hate the bullshit cliched sentiment that it invoked. "Live every day as if it's your last" is the life ethos of the truly selfish and worthless of the world, it's believing in that crap that has lead to so many people living beyond their means to fuel a dream and refuse to take any responsibility for their actions because they are "living for the moment". If everyone took their advice we would still be living in caves because no-one would every strive to be a part of something bigger. Why should inventors spend years in their garage to come up with innovative new gizmos? Why would anyone care for the environment? Why would people with money risk it by investing in small enterprises?

I dunno it just really pisses me off that I like the song, I can happily sing away if I don't think about the lyrics meaning but then when it's done I feel all dirty inside. It's like the "quiet wank in the spare room of your mates house while thinking about his big sister" of the music world.

Not that I have done that.

Honest.

I'm not sure whether I should mark out at seeing a fellow Swansea City fan on these boards or kneecap you for liking Westlife.

Well it's great to see another Jack on here most definitely, we're a rare beast. I don't want to like Westlife but Louis Walsh is the devil and gives them songs that get stuck in my head on a daily basis - in my defence I don't actually own one of their songs though so I haven't furthered the juggernaut that is Westlife.

I'm not really ashamed of anything I like... But I guess you could count liking basically everything Justin Timberlake has ever done.

Shamefacedly seconded. "

"Rock Your Body" and "
are probably three of my favourite R'n'B-influenced songs [kanye]of all time[/kanye](!). Man's got a magic touch when it comes to "creating" catchy tracks to sing along to when you've had a few.

Think I might add

to the list - I don't particularly hate the sound of the song, it's the fact that 80/90% of the people I know that like 30 Seconds To Mars/FOB/My Chemical Romance and so on are, in my opinion, twats. Ergo, the fact that I do find myself mouthing the words to the chorus whenever I chance upon it always makes me feel like a hypocritical shit, which is never a good feeling.

JoJo :shifty: I used to listen to my friends Ipod on the way to school and she had some awful music but yeah, after a week, 'Anything' kind of grew on me. From that time, there were a whole bunch of Sugababes songs she used to listen to that I'm ashamed to like. 'About you Now' is the only one i know by name but I'm sure theres a couple more I'd recognize if I heard.

"Fascination" by Alphabeat. When it comes on in a club, it's too happy to dislike.

Also Florence + the Machine's cover of "You Got The Love". I don't mind the original as far as dance tunes go, but I hate indie with a passion, and if I'm honest, I've only got about 10 songs by female singers in my libary, but my god everything works.

I'm not really ashamed of anything I like... But I guess you could count liking basically everything Justin Timberlake has ever done.

Shamefacedly seconded. "

"Rock Your Body" and "
are probably three of my favourite R'n'B-influenced songs [kanye]of all time[/kanye](!). Man's got a magic touch when it comes to "creating" catchy tracks to sing along to when you've had a few.

I wish that Future Sex Love Sounds by Justin Timberlake wasn't my favourite album

That is one fucking sweet album, isn't it?

That SOB Timberlake has a lot to answer for. >_<

NB.

should definitely now be classed under "Song I Really Wish I Didn't Both Like And Know All The Bastard Words To."

I wish I liked every song ever written. It'd be awesome if no matter who I was with, I would enjoy the same music as they did. As for songs I tend not to admit I like, I'll go with anything by Lady Gaga. I also like Justin Timberlake, but I feel no shame or embarrassment over it unlike most of this thread.

Edited by pizzamonkey