Videos on PS3

nufan

Ok i have just figured out how to play movies on my ps3 via flash drive... but i was wondering would it work if i were to just plug my whole portable hard drive into the ps3 usb or do you think it could run the risk of A) damaging the PS3 or B) the portable hard drive... i mean i have an 8gb flash drive so its not that much effort.. but i am australian and lazy so yeah.

anyone tried this?

I had that Java media server ages ago and it worked a charm... at first. Then it just stopped bothering to be found/show files. Same as the WMP media server does to be honest. Whether it's because I keep all of my music and videos on an external hard drive plugged into the PC I'm not sure, but that's where my suspicion lies, as files put on my C: drive in the public folders seem to work fine.

I've plugged my 1TB External Harddrive into the USB port of the PS3 in the past to stream movies off of it. I've got a lot on there, TV shows and what-have you, it just depends on the format of the video file but I believe most are supported anyway. The PS3 DOES have a media player built into it, which is pretty cool actually-- has scene selection for all video files by separating groups by the minutes in it and all.

But yeah, I do it regularly. Nothing bad's happened to my PS3 yet, nor have I heard anything bad happening to anyone else's who've done the same.

Yea, I plug my 320GB WD portable hard drive into my PS3 all the time and never have problems with it

You do have to be careful about what hard-drive you have though. My WD 500GB drive works fine, use it all the time, but obviously if the format of the video file isn't right you will have problems. BUT as a word of caution, my old 250GB maxtor external was never recognised by my PS£, which I believe was something to do with the USB connection... if in doubt I beleiev that as long as the portable drive can be hooked up to the PS3 by the same cable as your game pad is charged with you should be fine.

You do have to be careful about what hard-drive you have though. My WD 500GB drive works fine, use it all the time, but obviously if the format of the video file isn't right you will have problems. BUT as a word of caution, my old 250GB maxtor external was never recognised by my PS£, which I believe was something to do with the USB connection... if in doubt I beleiev that as long as the portable drive can be hooked up to the PS3 by the same cable as your game pad is charged with you should be fine.

It's more likely that your old Maxtor was formatted incorrectly. The PS3 only recognises external drives formatted to FAT32. Chances are the Maxtor was NTFS.

I had a hell of a time backing up my old drive because I had to format my 320GB Western Digital. To summarise, fuck Windows.