The Barclays Premiership 2004/2005

TheArsenal

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I say Liverpool will do a shock win this season and take the title I must say Arsenal still look pretty much favourites.

I have no clue why people are tipping Chelsea when they struggled to beat United today with there full team against a United team that had some key players missing. Arsenal looked just superb and people saying Chelsea will overtake Arsenal are stupid.

Glad to see football back and after this weekends games I'm still tipping Liverpool, Arsenal and United to be in the top three with Chelsea maybe just taking forth over Newcastle. Sorry but its true if you ask me.

Well after this weekends football. Everton will go down along with Charlton and Crystal Palace. Arsenal will win the premiership with Chelsea and Manchester United well behind them. Liverpool and Newcastle will fight it out for fourth again whilst Bolton, Boro, Spurs and Villa will challenge for a UEFA cup spot.

Jeez, what's the sudden condemnation of teams after just one match...?

I have no clue why people are tipping Chelsea when they struggled to beat United today with there full team against a United team that had some key players missing. Arsenal looked just superb and people saying Chelsea will overtake Arsenal are stupid.

I don't see how you can compare an Arsenal performance against a team who were missing their only real star player and are tipped by several to be relegated this season, to a very close match between 2 of the top 3 teams in the country.

It's true that Man Utd owned Chelsea in midfield in the 2nd half, especially in the last 30 minutes, but they still hardly ever looked like scoring. Meanwhile for Chelsea Geremi was playing excellently down the right, and the central defenders were naturally solid. United certainly missed van Nistelrooy and others, but this is day 1 of the season. Wait for a couple more Big Three clashes, and how well they fare against the other good teams like Newcastle and Middlesbrough before we start making proclamations.

Well after this weekends football. Everton will go down along with Charlton and Crystal Palace.

Charlton are better than that. They had an off day and were outclassed by Jay Jay, Pederson, and others. I'm still expecting them to finish mid-table this season - though perhaps not in the top 8 because Boro, Bolton and others look better.

What I got out of this weekend was:

- Arsenal haven't missed a beat since last season, and that means trouble for everyone

- Chelsea could have finally found the essential ability to scrape out results in tough games when they've played less than their best

- Man Utd are still a threat even without some of their best players

- Middlesbrough are improving, and if Viduka debuts in form then they could definitely be pushing for European places

- Bolton have some excellent players, especially Jay Jay, and look to be the types that give anyone trouble on the day

- Tottenham are still trying to settle in before they drive to improve

- Liverpool have made a good signing in Cisse, but they'll need Baros to capture some of his international form for his club if they want to get anywhere this season

- Norwich look more impressive than their ex-Championship rivals and could stay up if they try hard enough

- Crystal Palace will have to make improvements and adapt FAST, as they are yet to show that they have the grit needed to stick with the superior teams they will face

...I didn't watch highlights of the other matches. :shifty:

In all, despite the numerous draws, it's been a good start to the season for me, and I await next weekend with anticipation. ;)

Edited by stokeriño

Jay Jay's freekick was awesome. Jay Jay, so good they named him twice. Norwich have a pretty decent side Helveg, Bentley, Huckerby. I think they could stay up as well as West Brom.

Chelsea's goal today was a fluke. We should have won.

LOL at Gary Lineaker's opening sentence for MOTD.

"Now where were we before we were so rudely interrupted"

I forgot to mention Middlesboro. They look like they can damn well challenge for a place in europe. I'll go with the Uefa cup though as I cant see them taking any of the top four spots, but damn they have a great team if you ask me. There strike force is great(Hasslebank, Job, Viduka, Maccaronie, Christy unless he's gone). I really think they will give the big teams a good challenge this year.

Also I missed highlights of the Newcastle game, did Kluivert play? If so did he play any good?

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say I'm too shocked, I think it's more or less the same case as Gerrard Houllier; he's taken the club as far as he can, they need somebody new who can help them crack the top three. I don't think Bobby could give Newcastle what they needed to make that leap, they only seem to be going backwards as Liverpool were. Though Newcastle are doomed whatever happens if they can't see how much they need defenders (not a fifth forward).

Looks like that'll probably be the end of Mr. Robson, I doubt he'll get another job now at his age.

Edited by supergrass

To be honest I don't know whether to be happy or sad. Bobby Robson is Bobby Robson, he's Bobby Robson for gods sake! But on the other hand he really has been losing it recently (Past 6 months). Maybe it'll do us good to bring somebody new in, my personal hope is Gordan Strachan, he's the kind of manager we need, somebody who's animated and lively (Not someone like Houlier, Newcastle need to be pushed it's not something they can just turn on, like say Arsenal). I think the final straw was Bobby going after Rooney (Offering excessive amounts of money, we don't really have) instead of hunting for a defender, for that kind of money we could pick up 4 good/solid defenders, which is what Newcastle need (Stephen Carr has been our best signing since Alan Shearer or possibly Shae Given IMO. You can say Kluivert/Dyer/Bellamy/Robert were good signings, Kluivert hasn't had a chance to really show his full worth but his goal on Saturday was god, Robert is so inconcistant it's not funny anymore he has started well though but still can't cross from left sided corners, and Dyer and Bellamy didn't really make an immediate impact, whereas Stephen Carr has).

To be honest, I dunno. I WANT GORDON STRACHAN!!!!

Souness to take up Toon post

Newcastle have confirmed that Graeme Souness has agreed to take over as their new manager.

Sky Sports News revealed that Souness had told his own Blackburn players on Monday morning that he had quit his post at Ewood Park to move to St James' Park.

Terry Venables had reportedly met with The Magpies about taking over from Sir Bobby Robson, while Steve Bruce and David O'Leary were also on the short-list.

However, rumours began to grow on Monday that Blackburn boss Souness was in the frame and his odds to become the Newcastle boss were slashed by bookies as a result.

Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd has now confirmed to Sky Sports News that Souness has agreed to take over at St James' Park.

Souness will take charge from Monday September 13, after Newcastle have ironically faced Blackburn in The Premiership.

"Graeme Souness leaves Blackburn Rovers today to take up the position as team manager of Newcastle United," said Shepherd's statement.

"Souness has been in talks with Newcastle over the weekend and he will take up his position next Monday, September 13.

"There will be a press conference on Monday when Souness will be officially unveiled as the new manager."

Blackburn chief executive John Williams confirmed that the two clubs had agreed on a compensation package over the weekend, after Rovers reluctantly agreed to Souness leaving.

"My reading of the situation is quite clear," said a statement from Williams. "Graeme is very reluctant to leave a job he considers one of the best in the business, but he views Newcastle as a massive opportunity and one he cannot resist.

"We wish him well for the future and thank him for four successful years. But now is the time to look forward and we need to focus all our energies on finding Graeme's successor.

"We have an excellent squad of players and have a lot to offer the new manager, not least a financially stable club, and we expect considerable interest in the position.

"It is time to move on, we know what we are looking for and anticipate a very strong list of applicants."

Source

Souness could be very good for Newcastle, and I expect the Toon Army to do good now.

I was a bit shocked when I found out it was Souness. I was expecting it to be Venables because he had already had discussions and thought he would suit Newcastle. To be honest I dont think he will do any better than what Robson would have done so I think its a mistake by Shepherd. I would have kept Robson till the end of the season and done something about it then.