Tattoo Concept

A symbolic collage piece of sorts...

tat_small.jpg?t=1268186760

A quick marker sketch of a tattoo idea I have to represent my grandparents. The unicorn with the broken horn represents my grandmother who loves unicorns and used to collect them. The horn is broken, because when I was little I went around the house and broke off their horns and proudly proclaimed "Look Gramma, they're horsies now!" My Grandpa is a Vietnam vet and is represented by the dog tags (not sure if I'll keep Vietnam on there, I might put his last name.) The Unicorns rough and tough exterior represents all of the triumphs and tribulations they've had over the years - and the strength of their marriage.

that looks amazing mate. I only wish I could draw like that.

I have wanted to get some ink done for quite sometime but can't decide what to get done and when I have an idea I can't put it on paper.

Well done, if you get it done, make sure you post pics of it

One thing to consider with tattoos is that the simpler and bolder the design, usually the better. That means defintion and bold lines. This drawing is a good drawing, but I don't think it would translate well to tattoo ink.

So have I, but trust me, simple is better. The more complex the lines/shading/colors, the more it will look garrish against the rest of your skin. I'd really advise redrawing it in monochrome and simplifying the shading. I like the design in principle, but

1. It's very complex. I don't think that will translate well.

2. It's very colorful and generally the less colors/more subtle the colors, the better.

3. As a memorial/dedication piece, it really makes no sense to have their names covered.

I think it has the potential to look better than it does and if you're going to have it on your body for the rest of your life, might as well try and see if you can make it the best you can, no?

Ultimately it's your idea so you can do with it what you will, that is just my advice.

So have I, but trust me, simple is better. The more complex the lines/shading/colors, the more it will look garrish against the rest of your skin. I'd really advise redrawing it in monochrome and simplifying the shading. I like the design in principle, but

1. It's very complex. I don't think that will translate well.

2. It's very colorful and generally the less colors/more subtle the colors, the better.

3. As a memorial/dedication piece, it really makes no sense to have their names covered.

I think it has the potential to look better than it does and if you're going to have it on your body for the rest of your life, might as well try and see if you can make it the best you can, no?

Ultimately it's your idea so you can do with it what you will, that is just my advice.

I hope you didn't take my comment as being defensive or anything, that's not what I meant. This is just a rather rough marker drawing though, and I'm sure the tattoo artist will realize it should be more subtle in its colors and shading. I do get your point with the names being covered, it would make more sense for them to be showing.

Sean, number 2 isn't correct, and to be honest, I'm not sure I agree with number 1 either.

Subtle colours are not desirable at all, in general the brighter and bolder it is, the longer it will hold. The design Idol has presented has strong black borders as well, which will remain even when the colour starts to fade.

Idol. best tattoo shop I know in Philly is No Ka Oi on 4th Street.

From my experience with tattoos, that design as is won't translate well. If you can live with changing some things I think you could end up with a very nice piece.

The names shouldn't be covered up, that's probably the first think a good tattoo artist would tell you. It pretty much voids the point of it being a tribute. Same goes for the steam from the nostrils covering the names. My guess is have the steam go behind the banner or turn it into smoke and have it travel upward.

I think you can easily get away with a red unicorn with orange/yellow highlights and a blueish mane to it. White is only used for highlights because it easily turns into another colour depending on how dark your skin is. I've stayed away from getting a certain tattoo because of the amount of white in it. I don't need it slowing changing into a red or yellow. As far as the dog tags go, I think you could just have them hang under the banner and people would still see the chain around the unicorn's neck.

Really thought just find a good tattoo artist and he can give you much better advice than I or anyone else can.

Idol you live in Philadelphia, New York right? If so, I would highly suggest taking the trip down into Syracuse and talking to Jesse Gabriel. He just did a piece on my shin last month and it came out amazing. Very vibrant and colorful, the dude is amazing.