Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

TKz

Agreed, this thing will make a packet on DVD sales.

As a game geek I've been looking forward to it for a while and just saw it today for the second time. As an idea the last film I felt like seeing a second time was Snatch and before that Trainspotting so it doesn't happen often.

It's been extremely poorly marketed here in the UK really, the trailer definitely hit home with the geeks among us but does nothing for the non-gamer/non-comic book fan, if anything it was too honest for it's own good. It's also had to follow a summer filled with Toy Story, Shrek, Inception, Eclipse, The Expendables even secondaries like the A-Team, Last Airbender, Karate Kid, Knight and Day, Salt, Piranha, Prince of Persia, Get him to the Greek and so on. Frankly it's been a crazy movie summer nd a lot of people are kind of burnt out by now.

WHY IS THIS MOVIE FAILING FINANCIALLY?

Probably because it is only uber-awesome to people with a very specific culture within one particular generation. Everyone else generally goes "What...? This is stupid".

Nailed it. Just got back from this, pretty much the entire group I was with (about 9 people) didn't like the film and thought it was a bit stupid. I imagine Scott Pilgrim fans will uterly, utterly love it as it apparently stayed so true to the original graphic novel, which is cool, but nah I just didn't get into it and if MEW wasn't on my screen for the majority of the 2 hours I'd have fallen asleep.

And there's definitely something in the Michael Cera thing. I've hated every single one of his films except Superbad, which is utterly amazing and not really for his contributions. I love his character in Arrested Development too but everything else is just...awful. Two of my friends wanted to go and see Grown Ups instead just because Cera was in this.

Two of my friends wanted to go and see Grown Ups instead just because Cera was in this.

Your friends have fucking awful taste in movies and probably everything.

:lol:

You're probably right about that...then again one of them wanted to go and see Marmaduke which got shot down immediately.

Clearly I need new friends.

I jsut finished reading the comics after seeing the movie a couple of weeks ago and I can echo the fact that this movie is really faithful. There are some scenes in the movie that are straight from the books, word for word almost. Of course there are some things that have ben switched around (eg. Certain things happening to different characters) and it slowly drifts away from the book as it continues (though I believe that's because the series hadn't been finished when they were writing the script?). I must say both are awesome though.

The movie is incredibly faithful to the comics right up until the end of the Todd Ingram fight (the first two volumes pretty much have scenes that were adapted to the movie word for word) with only minor changes to the plot/scenes removed here and there (words cannot describe how much I would have loved to have seen the Scott vs. Todd race at Honest Ed's in the movie). Both Roxy/Roxie (depending on whether it's the film or the comic) and the Katayanagi Twins have their roles in the story decidedly reduced due to reasons of time/when the Power of Love sword is introduced, and the plot pretty much heads off in its own direction from there on out, albeit with certain things in common (Scott needing something more than just love to beat Gideon, Gideon killing Scott so the extra life comes into play).

Volume Six was, indeed, not finished by the time the movie was being made, though. Apparently Gideon's characterization in the comic is in part based off of how Jason Schwartzman was playing him in the movie.

• 1 month later...

Yeah I only just caught this a few days ago and really liked it. It was pretty crazy to say the least, but that's what made it stand out so much. Never really been a fan of Cera, but he was pretty good here I thought. Think it also made me fall in love with Mary Elizabeth Winstead :wub:

• 2 weeks later...