Choose your 23

Seeing as Wales are shit and havn't qualified, I'll be supporting England.

Goalkeepers

Davis James

Robert Green

Joe Hart

Defenders

Glen Johnson

Jamie Carragher

Ashley Cole

Steven Warnock

Rio Ferdinand

John Terry

Michael Dawson

Matthew Upson

Midfielders

Steven Gerrard

Frank Lampard

Tom Huddlestone

James Milner

Adam Johnson

Aaron Lennon

Theo Walcott

Michael Carrick

Strikers

Wayne Rooney

Peter Crouch

Jermaine Defoe

Carlton Cole

I'd possible drop Upson and add Zamora as a 5th striker, its all dependant on where needs most cover. Definatley wound't take Heskey, he's crap and is obviously allergic to scoring goals.

Starting Eleven

James

G.Johnson

Ferdinand ©

Terry

A.Cole

Lennon

Lampard

Carrick

Gerrard

Rooney

Crouch

Goalkeepers

Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green

Defenders

Glen Johnson, Wes Brown, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Ledley King, Michael Dawson, Ashley Cole, Leighton Baines

Midfielders

Aaron Lennon, Theo Walcott, Steven Gerrard, James Milner, Frank Lampard, Gareth Barry, Joe Cole

Forwards

Wayne Rooney, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Darren Bent

I've excluded Heskey, Upson and Carrick as I feel they've had below-par seasons. I think the WC has arrived too soon to take Hargreaves, Roger Johnson or Adam Johnson.

I'd start with:

James,

Johnson, Ferdinand, Terry, Cole

Lampard, Barry

Lennon, Gerrard, Cole

Rooney

My reasoning behind this is that the goalkeeper and back four are experienced, and would be a safe option for the group stages. I'd be inclined to give Hart a go in the final group stage match, if qualification is assured by then. Lampard and Barry always work well together I feel. Lennon is the best right-wing option we have, so should start. Gerrard and Cole's positions are less secure, as Gerrard has been below-par, but should start in the group stages due to experience. Joe Cole has had a strong end of season, but if he doesn't impress in group stages then could be replaced. I'd be inclined to give Milner the last half hour of group stage matches to impress, coming on as sub for either Gerrard or Cole.

Rooney has the maturity and discipline to play up front on his own, and he and Gerrard have shown good chemistry and link-up play before. If it doesn't work out with Rooney as a loan striker, then Crouch fills that role, and Rooney can play off him in place of Gerrard or Cole, with Gerrard going over to the left if Cole is the one replaced. Bent and Defoe are there as options from the bench if we need a 4-4-2 to chase a goal. I believe those two can play alongside either Crouch or Rooney to good effect. Walcott is there as a last resort subersub, to bring on in the last 15-20 mins if chasing a goal. He's not had a good season, but I've included him on the strength of Croatia away alone.

Overall, I'm confident about our chances with whatever squad Capello picks. I think this year we will finally get past the quarter finals, and in Rooney, we have the best striker in the world at the moment. I used to loathe Rooney and think he was overrated, didn't score enough goals, tried to do the job of midfielders for them, had a poor temper etc. but this season he's been a revelation and our World Cup hopes rest on him, largely.

Whichever 23 it takes to beat England on June 12th.

You're going to need all 23 on the pitch at the same time. (Y)

Whichever 23 it takes to beat England on June 12th.

You're going to need all 23 on the pitch at the same time. (Y)

:P

In all honesty, I think our keeper is good enough to give us a fighting chance in any game.

I'll be happy with a draw, but a win would be super-sweet, considering I'm probably going to go to an 'English' bar with a bunch of friends to watch the game. Depending on the crowd, it should be fun, just like I had an amazing time in '02 when we played Mexico in the Cup, and I was around a bunch of Mexicans.

I wish I could watch more soccer, because I really enjoy it when I see a good game, but I don't have cable.

I know I'm Welsh but I guess I'll be sort of backing England.

GK: Joe Hart

GK: Rob Green

GK: David James

Stand-by: Paul Robinson

Hart should be #1, he's been the second best keeper in the country this year (sadly for him Shay Given was the best) and is the only keeper untainted by poor England performances.

RB: Glen Johnson

RB: Gary Neville

LB: Ashley Cole

LB: Leighton Baines

Stand-by: Stephen Warnock, Jamie Carragher

The first choices pick themselves, Baines just edges Warnock as a better defender, Neville offers a steady head if Johnson has a mare, Wes Brown would probably be in ahead of him if fit.

CB: Rio Ferdinand

CB: John Terry

CB: Ledley King

CB: Matthew Upson

Stand-by: Michael Dawson

Top two pick themselves again, King offers experience and strength, probably as a substitute if needed. Upson gets in by virtue of experience playing alongside Rio and Terry, Dawson very unlucky to miss out.

CM: Frank Lampard

CM: Gareth Barry

CM: Steven Gerrard

CM: James Milner

Stand-by: Scott Parker

Should be no decision if all of them are fit, though if Capello intends to use Gerrard on the left he might take Parker or Huddlestone as well.

RW: Aaron Lennon

RW: Theo Walcott

LW: Joe Cole

LW: Ashley Young

Stand-by: Shaun Wright-Phillips, Stuart Downing

Can't understand Young not being in the 30, he's been excellent playing on the left for Villa for two seasons now.

ST: Wayne Rooney

ST: Jermain Defoe

ST: Peter Crouch

ST: Emile Heskey

Stand-by: Bobby Zamora, Darren Bent

Rooney and Crouch should start, Defoe is worth his place. Heskey is not, however they need a secodn stronger guy in there and he has all the experience.

James, Green, Hart

Terry, Ferdinand, King, Dawson, Cole, Johnson, Warnock, Carragher

Barry, Gerrard, Lampard, Lennon, Milner, Walcott, Cole, Parker

Rooney, Heskey, Crouch, Defoe

So basically what Capello will pick, but with Warnock instead of Baines and Parker instead of Carrick (and there's a long list of people I'd prefer to Carrick...)

GOALKEEPER:

Ben Foster

Paul Robinson

Joe Hart

DEFENDER:

Wes Brown

John Terry

Rio Ferdinand

Ashley Cole

Gary Neville

Leighton Baines

Phil Jageika

MIDFIELDER:

Frank Lampard

Steven Gerrard

Aaron Lennon

Joe Cole

Michael Carrick

James Milner

Owen Hargreaves

Ashley Young

ATTACKER:

Wayne Rooney

Jermain Defoe

Theo Walcott

Darren Bent

Frazier Campbell

United States

GK - Tim Howard

GK - Brad Guzan

GK - Marcus Hahnemann

DF - Jonathan Bornstein

DF - Carlos Bocanegra

DF - Steven Cherundolo

DF - Jay DeMerit

DF - Clarence Goodson

DF - Oguchi Onyewu

DF - Jonathan Spector

MF - Maurice Edu

MF - Landon Donovan

MF - Clint Dempsey

MF - Ricardo Clark

MF - Sacha Klejstan

MF - Stuart Holden

MF - Michael Bradley

MF - Jermaine Jones

FW - Jozy Altidore

FW - Charlie Davies

FW - Eddie Johnson

FW - Brian Ching

FW - Robbie Findley

I'd do a 4-3-1-2 with an attacking mentality, because I feel if we're going to do anything in our group, we need to look for some quick goals then sit on it.

Altidore --- Davies

Donovan

Dempsey --- Jones --- Bradley

Bornstein --- Onyewu --- Bocanegra --- Cherundolo

Howard

Probably would have Donovan act as an inside forward, Dempsey the main playmaker in midfield with Jones acting as a more defensive CM. England would probably tear that up, but I'm sure we could get wins against Slovenia & Algeria, thus getting us through to the last 16 on 6 points.

1. David James - Portsmouth

2. Glen Johnson - Liverpool

3. Ashley Cole - Chelsea

4. Steven Gerrard - Liverpool

5. Rio Ferdinand - Man Utd

6. John Terry - Chelsea

7. Aaron Lennon - Tottenham

8. Frank Lampard - Chelsea

9. Peter Crouch - Tottenham

10. Wayne Rooney - Man Utd

11. Joe Cole - Chelsea

12. Shaun Wright-Phillips - Man City

13. Robert Green - West Ham

14. Theo Walcott - Arsenal

15. Gareth Barry - Man City

16. James Milner - Aston Villa

17. Ashley Young - Aston Villa

18. Jermaine Defoe - Tottenham

19. Emile Heskey - Aston Villa

20. Ledley King - Tottenham

21. Adam Johnson - Man City

22. Jamie Carragher - Liverpool

23. Joe Hart - Man City

Starting XI:

1. David James

2. Glen Johnson

3. Ashley Cole

5. Rio Ferdinand

6. John Terry

4. Steven Gerrard

11. Joe Cole

8. Frank Lampard

15. Gareth Barry

10. Wayne Rooney

9. Peter Crouch

James has had just what he personally needed this year, I think he has shown a hell of a lot of resiliance at Portsmouth and it can only have made him a better player - just the sort of character we need in between the sticks. Joe Cole will be fresh after the season he has had and seems to always perform on the international stage. If Barry doesn't make it then I feel the choices are all win-win, i'd pick any of Lennon, Wright-Phillips or Milner to play down the right and push Gerrard in the middle. Upfront Crouch gives us that different option, and keeps people like Defoe fresh to come off the bench if we do need to change it.

Goalkeepers

1. David James

12. Rob Green

13. Joe Hart

Defenders

2. Glen Johnson

3. Ashley Cole

5. Rio Ferdinand

6. John Terry

15. Ledley King

16. Matthew Upson

19. Stephen Warnock/Leighton Baines

Midfielders

4. Gareth Barry

7. Aaron Lennon

8. Frank Lampard

10. Steven Gerrard

11. Joe Cole

14. James Milner

21. Shaun Wright-Phillips/Theo Walcott

22. Michael Carrick

23. Adam Johnson

Strikers

9. Wayne Rooney

17. Jermain Defoe

18. Peter Crouch

20. Emile Heskey (Chosen out of morbid acceptance that we will be going)

It'll probably be Walcott over SWP since he can function as a 5th striker too. Maybe one too many midfielders at the expense of a defender?

It should be noted that were it not for injury or getting back to fitness too late, the following players WOULD be in my 23: Phil Jagielka, Owen Hargreaves, David Beckham, Michael Owen and Bobby Zamora.

Probably at the expense of Warnock/Baines, Carrick, SWP/Walcott, Heskey and Adam Johnson.

Edited by T May Cregg