The 2010 Summer transfer thread

David Beckham won La Liga with Real Madrid and then left for LA. Not exactly the downfall of someone's career.

Beckham always hits troughs and peaks, regardless of what league they play in. I'm not saying MLS is a bad league, because it is not. It's growing and will become top quality, I am sure. Although just like the North American Soccer League before it, they seem hell bent on signing anyone after their prime :shifty:

The whole Beckham debate is fruitless to me - he went there on a marketing strategy and keeps going back to Italy to play a higher level of football. Not exactly a strong commitment. However, if he can still play at that level then fair play to him and may he continue.

Liverpool have today agreed a fee for the sale of Emiliano Insua to Serie A side Fiorentina.

The left-back is now en route to Italy to discuss personal terms.

A club spokesman said: "We have agreed a fee for the sale of Emiliano Insua to Fiorentina and given them permission to speak with the player.

"Emiliano has now left our Swiss training camp and we'll make further comment when appropriate."

Insua arrived in January 2007 from Boca Juniors and has since played 62 games, with one goal to his name against Arsenal in last season's Carling Cup.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/breaking-insua-fee-agreed

For fucks sake. One senior left back in the whole squad and we're letting him go, so now every team we try and negotiate with to sign a replacement is going to suck every penny possible out of us, because we can't go into the season without a left back. That's not even mentioning the absolute lunacy of getting rid of a promising full back just before he hits the age where most defenders begin significantly improving the mental side of their game for a fee of around £5m.

Fiorentina will be pissing themselves.

A while back I thought Newcastle had been severely ripped off for getting an inexperienced Spanish left back called Jose Enrique for something like £6m, he spent the first season being an accident waiting to happen before finding his confidence and turning into a pretty good counter attacking player.

Inusa is a much better player than Enrique and could very easily become a fantastic left back in Italy... so it makes almost no sense for him to be let go.

Reports I've been hearing say that the negotiations started before Hodgeson came into power so therefore had no say in the matter :/

Hodgson said as much in an interview a few days ago. Said he liked Insua but wasn't sure how far negotiations had progressed. He's also just said on SSN that if anyone wants to talk about transfer targets or how things are progressing they'll need to talk to Purslow, because Roy is just "coaching the team." Sound familiar?

Also floating around that Insua was in the starting 11 for tonight's friendly (which was eventually called off) until Roy was told that a fee had been agreed with Fiorentina.

Yeah, I think I would prefer our crop of centre back's to Liverpool's. I realise how depressing that must be.

I like Agger and Skrtel, Agger especially could be world class if it wasn't for his back problems, and even Kyrgiakos has his uses. With Carragher though I just think his accent basically means he's going to be a nailed on starter until he decides to retire, because no manager is going to risk dropping him because he'd get it in the neck from the fans who are blinded by Carra's birthplace.

Good news.

"When asked “who is on your shopping list?” Redknapp confirmed there is “every chance” Tottenham will sign the Spartak Moscow keeper Stipe Pletikosa"

Bad news.

"The owners of baseball giants New York Yankees are looking into buying Spurs for a massive £450million.

Powerhouse Yankees are said to be weighing up an offer for a major stake in the White Hart Lane outfit.

The interest comes after Yankees owner George Steinbrenner died aged 80 last week – and control of the fabled club, who have won 27 World Series, passed down to his sons Hal and Hank."