It's the ever popular "Guess the Opening Lyrics" game!

probablyoliver

It's simple, I post a set of opening lines from popular contemporary song, you guess what they are, whoever gets the most right after a nondescript amount of posts gets to post a set of their own. Yaaay! No cheating, of course, because that's just not very fun.

1. "Punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate, will nature make a man of me yet?"

2. "I'm out that Brooklyn, now I'm down in TriBeCa right next to Deniro, but I'll be hood forever"

3. "Weep for yourself, my man, you'll never be what is in your heart"

4. "There was a time when my world was filled with darkness, darkness, darkness. And I stopped dreaming now I'm supposed to fill it up with something, something , something"

5. "I'm so happy, 'cos today I found my friends - they're in my head."

6. "You'll never be a better kind, if you don't leave the world behind. Waste my days. Drown aways."

7. "Can't you hear those cavalry drums, hijacking your equilibrium. Midnight snacks in the mausoleum, where the pixilated doctors moan"

8. "You jump in front of my car when you, you know all the time that ninety miles an hour, girl, is the speed I drive"

9. "In-slum-national, underground, thunder pounds when I stomp the ground"

10. "Tell me what you thought about when you were gone and so alone, the worst is over, you can have the best of me."

11. "Sometimes I feel like throwing my hands up in the air, I know I can count on you."

12. "Remember when I caught your eye, you gave me rainbows and butterflies"

13. "If you walk away I'll walk away, first tell me which road you will take, I don't want to risk our paths crossing someday, so you walk that way, I'll walk this way."

14. "I'm so sorry I'm not down tonight, but all my friends have lost their minds."

15. "Mama pajama rolled out of bed, and she ran to the police station. When the papa found out he began to shout and he started the investigation"

16. "Late night, brakes lock, hear the tires squeal, red light, can't stop so I spin the wheel"

17. "What does it matter, a dream of love or a dream of life, we're all gonna be in the same place when we die."

18. "This is why events unnerve me, they find it all, a different story"

19. "Taskmaster burst, the bionic zit splitter, breakneck speed, we down ten pints of bitter."

20. "First time I saw her I wanted more than just to hold her, I wanted to bend her and fold her, so I went over and I told her."

Also, there's a bonus point if you can tell me the name of the instrumental song I'm thinking of.

2. "I'm out that Brooklyn, now I'm down in TriBeCa right next to Deniro, but I'll be hood forever"

Empire State of Mind - Jay-Z

5. "I'm so happy, 'cos today I found my friends - they're in my head."

Lithium - Nirvana

11. "Sometimes I feel like throwing my hands up in the air, I know I can count on you."

You've Got the Love - Florence + the Machine

or the original one with Candi Staton or whoever.

Instrumental: Suicide & Redemption - Metallica. Yeah, it's the only instrumental I can think of right now. :shifty:

Edited by TheModernWay

#7 is

"Sexx Laws" by Beck,

and #13 is

"One Foot in Front of the Other" by Bright Eyes (didn't that only appear on a Saddle Creek compilation? is anybody going to be able to get that?

:shifty: )

but everyone else got all the other ones I knew.

Also, "Cliffs of Dover" by Eric Johnson.

Edited by Sousa

2. "I'm out that Brooklyn, now I'm down in TriBeCa right next to Deniro, but I'll be hood forever" ~ "Empire State of Mind" by Jay-Z

5. "I'm so happy, 'cos today I found my friends - they're in my head." ~ "Lithium" by Nirvana

6. "You'll never be a better kind, if you don't leave the world behind. Waste my days. Drown aways." ~ "Keep Fishin'" by Weezer

7. "Can't you hear those cavalry drums, hijacking your equilibrium. Midnight snacks in the mausoleum, where the pixilated doctors moan" ~ "Sexx Laws" by Beck

8. "You jump in front of my car when you, you know all the time that ninety miles an hour, girl, is the speed I drive" ~ "Crosstown Traffic" by The Jimi Hendrix Experience

15. "Mama pajama rolled out of bed, and she ran to the police station. When the papa found out he began to shout and he started the investigation" ~ "Me and Julio Down By The Schoolyard" by Paul Simon

20. "First time I saw her I wanted more than just to hold her, I wanted to bend her and fold her, so I went over and I told her." ~ "Good Weekend" by Art Brut

Sousa, #13 is the right band, wrong track. It's actually one of the more popular album tracks.

It first appeared on the Saddle Creek 50 compilation with the title I gave--I know because I have that album. Google the lyrics--I'm 100% sure I'm right.

:P

But I guess the newer title is "Land Locked Blues," which is a different arrangement but is the exact same song lyrically. I'm not a big Bright Eyes fan, but I know this song.

God. First an argument about Virgil, now an argument about Bright Eyes. I need to get some sleep.

Edited by Sousa

1. This Charming Man" by THe Smiths

3. "Little Lion Man" by Mumford & Sons

4. "Animal" by Miike Snow

10. "Best Of Me" by Starting Line

11. "You've Got The Love" by Florence (and whoever did it first whose name I can't remember)

14. "26 Is Dancier Than 4" by This Town Needs Guns

15. "Me & Julio Down By The Schoolyard" by Paul Simon (I only remember this because of the Streetlight cover :shifty:)

16. "Artist In The Ambulance" by Thrice

18. "Ceremony" by New Order

I know 12...but I just don't know what the fuck it is. It's someone like Miike Snow, but it's not Miike Snow...grrrr. I can hear it.