2010/2011 NBA Thread

jrtdot

Shame to see Yao retire, people looking back on his injury-shortened career will always ask if it was the right decision to play for China in the Olympics. That is unfortunate because of how much he meant to the Chinese fans and how much playing meant to him.

It's the best thing for the Rockets though, to know he's gone and hopefully finally start the first true rebuilding project since the early 80s.

I feel bad to see Yao hang it up. The guy sacrificed so much to make it, let alone stay competitive, in the NBA. The government didn't give him time off to preserve his body, and even made him give up part of his salary as part of the deal for him to play abroad.

Heck, I think they even pushed him to become owner of his old Shanghai ballclub, to keep it from folding.

It also kinda peeves me that Menk Batere has a ring for padding out the Spurs' championship roster, while Yao doesn't.

Here's a thought I've been mulling around in my head. With the success Yao had in the CBA, the popularity he gained the sport coming over, and his talents on the international level, does Yao deserve a spot in the basketball hall of fame?

Here's a thought I've been mulling around in my head. With the success Yao had in the CBA, the popularity he gained the sport coming over, and his talents on the international level, does Yao deserve a spot in the basketball hall of fame?

He deserves a spot for his contributions to the global game of basketball. If this was only based on his production in the NBA, then he wouldn't be that close to locking up a spot, but it's hard to argue that he impacted the game when he essentially opened up a billion or so people to the NBA game.

Yep.

The last 20 years, the Hall of Fame has started throwing in people who had great impact in foreign countries, but no NBA fan had any clue about. A guy who helped make the game huge in the world's biggest market AND was a damn good NBA player to boot should get every consideration.

Wait, so new season is starting in November? Sorry, I must have missed it, but what happened to the lockout?

The season probably won't start on time, if it happens at all, but the NBA has to announce everything the way they normally would which is why the Christmas games are being leaked and the schedule is supposed to come out today.

• 2 weeks later...