2010/2011 NBA Thread

jrtdot

So, where do you think that the big FA's will end up?

I think it will go something like this:

Bulls: LeBron and Bosh

Heat: Wade and Amare

Knicks: Johnson, Boozer

Nets: Rudy Gay

And David Lee to the Thunder

I agree with Chicago/Miami. Bosh will sign AFTER LeBron and Wade will have to settle for STAT.

Knicks: no one, the only way they will substantially improve the team is through a sign and trade. If all they have to show for a decade of futility is two secondary pieces like Joe Johnson and Carlos Boozer, they may as well pack it in and quit.

Nets: I think they'll end up with Johnson or Gay.

Dallas will retain Dirk

Denver may make a move to lock up 'Melo too.

Someone with a lot of cap space will waste $10+ million on David Lee and regret it for the length of his deal.

So, where do you think that the big FA's will end up?

LeBron: I don't know. He is the ultimate wild card. Chicago makes a lot of sense, but I just don't see LeBron going to a city where he will have to win SEVEN championships before they even consider him to be the greatest player in team history. Especially the way he enjoyed the diva, "god" like attention in Cleveland. I could actually see LeBron ending up in Miami first, before he ends up in Chicago. However I still believe when all the dust settles, LeBron will end up in one of the two places he was going to end up before, New York or Cleveland. Between the two, I would have to say I'm 50/50 on each, picking Cleveland only in a coin flip.

Wade: From all accounts, Wade should end up in Miami. I would give this a 90% chance of happening, holding out a ten percent chance that he has lost faith in the Heat over the past few years. If he has, I think he'll end up in Chicago.

Chris Bosh: I've always thought that he was bound for Chicago too. The only time i ever questioned his final destination at all was when his name came up in connection to the Lakers.....who might have turned to him as the answer if they didn't win the championship. But since the Lakers are out, I'm guessing Bosh will land in Chicago.

Joe Johnson: I've thought all along that Joe Johnson was bound for New York due to his connection with their Coach. I guess I sorta thought Johnson would be the consolation prize for not getting LeBron.

STAT: A'Stat falls only behind LeBron on my wild card meter. I could make an arguement for him going to any of the major teams. If I had to pick, I would say that he would end up in Miami, only because they will need a second big superstar greater then any of the other teams listed.

I'm still putting out hope for the Nets to get LeBron until the day he signs with someone else. Although I doubt he signs with us. <_<

Rod Thorn leaving is a huge loss too since he is an excellent basketball mind. Hopefully he's not replaced by a random russian guy...

Hopefully he's not replaced by a random russian guy...

Might be the best thing for them. After all, Prokhorov's survived for an awfully long time in the notoriously dangerous Russian business world, so he may have some...how you say...connections? People that can convince other people that something's in their best interests? :shifty:

Guest mickeyblueeyes37

Sorry but im not to familar how your free agency works but when we here of the Lebron James and Chris Bosh Signings by is there a deadline?

Sorry but im not to familar how your free agency works but when we here of the Lebron James and Chris Bosh Signings by is there a deadline?

There isn't supposed to be any contact between teams and free agents until July 1st, but there's been so much tampering this offseason that almost all of the big names will have some idea of where they're going by the 2nd or 3rd at the latest. They can agree to a contract at any time after midnight Eastern time on the 1st, but the teams won't officially be able to sign them until the 8th. I don't know why exactly they need to wait a week to ink the contracts, but there's no deadline as far as you must sign before X date in order to be part of the team.

In short, don't be surprised if you hear that certain players have agreed to a deal in principle as early as this Thursday.

Edited by naiwf

Chris Broussard on ESPN is saying that the Knicks plan is to ink Joe Johnson and then use him to convince LeBron or Stoudemire to come with him. If the Knicks end up with Johnson and Stoudemire under D'Antoni I'm left with an obvious question. . . why? They couldn't win it all with Nash, Marion and much better pieces around them years ago. How are they going to compete in the East against teams like Orlando and whatever 2 squads Wade/James/Bosh/Boozer end up on? How does ending up with some of the spare parts from Phoenix make the Knicks a legitimate playoff threat when they wouldn't have the engine that made that team run?

I was so excited about July too :(

The great thing is, even with LeBron and Bosh, New York does not have a team that could win the conference, let alone the title. If they sign Bron and Bosh, they are renouncing David Lee's bird rights so, he's out of the picture, leaving them with Gallinari (who I think would be great as a 3rd banana in a contender) and who else, Sergio Rodriguez? Wilson Chandler?

Edited by Colossus

The great thing is, even with LeBron and Bosh, New York does not have a team that could win the conference, let alone the title. If they sign Bron and Bosh, they are renouncing David Lee's bird rights so, he's out of the picture, leaving them with Gallinari (who I think would be great as a 3rd banana in a contender) and who else, Sergio Rodriguez? Wilson Chandler?

I'm not entirely sure, but if they signed LeBron and Bosh I think they could go over the cap to sign and trade Lee. They also need to negotiate a buyout of Eddy Curry's deal too. It doesn't really matter though because it seems like they're going to repeat the mistakes of the past and give huge deals to players who clearly aren't worth it.

I'm not entirely sure, but if they signed LeBron and Bosh I think they could go over the cap to sign and trade Lee. They also need to negotiate a buyout of Eddy Curry's deal too. It doesn't really matter though because it seems like they're going to repeat the mistakes of the past and give huge deals to players who clearly aren't worth it.

they could presumably trade off Lee to Toronto for Bosh with some extra pieces to make up the deal and they would have enough room. Also as you said, getting rid of Curry is a must as the Knicks are synonymous with busts.

I read somewhere (can't remeber where though) that by signing 2 Max players, the Kinciks would be refuse to use Lee's bird rights. Don't know if that's true though, but that would make sense, to prevent teams to sepnd all their Cap in 3 players...

I read somewhere (can't remeber where though) that by signing 2 Max players, the Kinciks would be refuse to use Lee's bird rights. Don't know if that's true though, but that would make sense, to prevent teams to sepnd all their Cap in 3 players...

There's no rule that says they would HAVE to renounce David Lee if they get two max guys...after all, it's the same rationale that says the Heat are looking at grabbing Bosh and LeBron, then screaming past the cap to keep Wade.

There's no rule that says they would HAVE to renounce David Lee if they get two max guys...after all, it's the same rationale that says the Heat are looking at grabbing Bosh and LeBron, then screaming past the cap to keep Wade.

Heat would be trading away Beasley to get cap room to sign all 3. I haven't heard of one scenario that gives the Knicks Lee, Bosh and LeBron.

I have to say that LeBron/Bosh ending up with either Rose or Wade will definitely get me into the NBA again. With each passing season I seem to care more and more about the NBA.

As for the July 8th date, the reason you have to wait until that time is that is when NBA cap #s come out. I don't know why they don't just come out on the first but this is how the NBA does it. Lee is going to get a ridiculous contract he doesn't deserver. I will laugh at the Knicks too if all they end up with Johnson/Amare.

Heat would be trading away Beasley to get cap room to sign all 3. I haven't heard of one scenario that gives the Knicks Lee, Bosh and LeBron.

I have to say that LeBron/Bosh ending up with either Rose or Wade will definitely get me into the NBA again. With each passing season I seem to care more and more about the NBA.

As for the July 8th date, the reason you have to wait until that time is that is when NBA cap #s come out. I don't know why they don't just come out on the first but this is how the NBA does it. Lee is going to get a ridiculous contract he doesn't deserver. I will laugh at the Knicks too if all they end up with Johnson/Amare.

I don't think there is a scenario that nets the Knicks Lee/Bosh/James, but I do think there is a scenario where they can use Lee's cap space to trade for the pieces they'd need to surround Bosh/James with more than just Gallo, Chandler, Douglas and their new rookies.

Well i hope the pair go to New York La Vs Ny Rivalry would be awesome to watch.

The NBA would love to have New York be title contenders again, especially since their corporate HQ's there. But the Knicks' glory days were back during the Ewing era. If Walsh and D'Antoni can't get Wade or James to NYC, they're going to be crucified.

If Bosh, James and Wade all end up in Miami and they don't win at least the next 3 NBA championships they'd be viewed as failures.

No argument from me on this.

Edited by maninblack