NHL 2010/2011

SeanDMan

That game should have ended up 0-0 going into overtime tonight. Price and Gustvasson were both fucking insane. I think with any other two goalies in net this one could have ended up 8-8. Unfortunately Komisarek made Grabovski's fuckup a couple of games ago look like a brilliant pass.

Also, I'm okay with refs letting them play but there were so many damn trips, hooks and interference calls that should have been made that ruined offensive chances. It's bullshit, let them play the body but call the stuff that should actually be a penalty.

The biggest difference between the two teams tonight was that Montreal seemed to play as a team and for Toronto it was Kessel and Grabovski alternating going in 1 on 5 not even considering the idea of passing. Gustavsson certainly lived up to his nickname because even though he gave up 2, he was a total monster. He was the only reason it wasn't a complete blowout of a game.

Overall excellent game to watch. I just can't help but feel that Toronto was playing as individuals almost the entire game. It seemed their D was looking for the highlight reel hit and their forwards were looking to play hero and make the TSN honour roll. When they supported each other they had great chances, but that was only for a few minutes in the 1st and 2nd period.

Moving on from the game, The second I heard that Pat Burns had died, I called my mother. He was a complete inspiration of a man and a testament to hard work leading to success. It's a shame he didn't make the Hall before he passed because he deserved it.

You know what really grinds my gears?

No look, behind the back passes.

Sure, when they work out, they look amazing... but more often than not, they don't work, and they end up resulting in a rush going back the other way. It just isn't smart hockey, and I can't quite figure out why it goes unpunished. Coaches seem to just not give a shit when their players do this. They get a good forecheck going, and then one of the players just decides to throw the puck behind his back into the middle of nowhere, hoping that there's somebody there to receive it. It doesn't make any sense.

Worse than the players who do it on a consistent basis are the coaches who continue to give them the ice time with the linemates that allows them to do so.

Brent Sutter... Olli Jokinen... I'm looking at you.

Jay Bouwmeester's seemed to adjust his game accordingly and has been very strong in our last two games. Olli Jokinen, however, has the worst Size to Pussy ratio in the NHL. He's a big guy, who instead of using his size, will just throw the puck away to avoid having to battle for it. That's not Calgary Flames hockey. Shame on you, Brent Sutter, for continuing to give him these kind of minutes. Shame on you, Darryl Sutter, for bringing him back in the first place.

I might start PVRing the games and stop watching the games live. Even when the team was terrible last season, at least they were entertaining. The Leafs have scored 8 goals over their last 8 away games. Gustavsson is doing a great job, and his efforts are being wasted.

Edited by Toe