Magic The Gathering

THRASHER

magic_the_gathering-card_back-216x300.jpg

Hey all, I doubt this needs it's own topic considering there may be very few of you who play this game. But I was lurking around on the Xbox Live Dashboard, went to Games Marketplace and low and behold I found Magic The Gathering. I was playing it for about an hour and I absolutely enjoy it. I am not a huge player of the card game, but I will certainly be playing this game online. I learnt more about Magic The Gathering in the hour in which I played it, then attempting to play the real trading card game itself. So I was just wondering if there was any of you on here who played either the Xbox Live Arcade version or the real life trading card game?

- Jack.

The game is actually not too bad. However I am probably not the best person to comment and give a comparison for Magic The Gathering since I know little about the game, however the actual Xbox Live Arcade game is good in the sense that it is a good learning experience for beginners of the game such as myself.

I only played the trial version of Magic: The Gathering on the Xbox 360, but I didn't get into it enough to consider a full purchase. I really miss the 1997 Microprose version of Magic on the PC, which had an RPG-style quest to go alongside the card game. It was packed to bursting point with bugs and crashed more often than any other game I've ever played before or since, but it still holds a special place in my heart.

I was once a Semi-Professional player of the trading card game. It had consumed my life at one point. I've heard quite good things about the Xbox game from the likes of TEOL here. And I play Magic: Online quite regularly.

Also: bobfoc - Shandalar was awesome :D I still give that a whirl from time to time.

I started playing during the tail end of the Dark expansion (only got my hands on 2 or 3 boosters from that) and quit during Weatherlight. My cards are in a storage box where they have been gathering dust ever since. I can't even remember the last time I opened the box, and the next time I do it will probably be after I find a decent price guide so I can put them on eBay. (Don't have a Black Lotus or any Moxes, unfortunately)

• 2 weeks later...

I started playing during the tail end of the Dark expansion (only got my hands on 2 or 3 boosters from that) and quit during Weatherlight. My cards are in a storage box where they have been gathering dust ever since. I can't even remember the last time I opened the box, and the next time I do it will probably be after I find a decent price guide so I can put them on eBay. (Don't have a Black Lotus or any Moxes, unfortunately)

i just might be interested in your cards. magictraders.com has a pretty decent price guide. look up some of your stuff or throw me a brief list.

i just might be interested in your cards. magictraders.com has a pretty decent price guide. look up some of your stuff or throw me a brief list.

I've got waaaaay too many cards to go through and cherry pick them, but I'll try when I get a chance.

Question about the price list on magictraders: do they called Revised something else? I don't see it listed, and I've got quite a bit of Revised cards.

I started with 4th edition & Ice Age and ended around Invasion with nearly every card of the same name totaling 4 of each except Legend cards that I only kept 2 of. So say the card "Counter" I had 1 from each set it was made from and so on. I only have 2 full complete sets which are Fallen Empires and Alliance. Ice Age and Mirage I think I am only missing 2 or 3 of. I was able to snag many of the cards from Unlimited through to when I started (Dark, Legends and such). My set of cards was worth $10,000 price guide value in 2001. I wanted 3000 back then because that was approximately what I put into it. My biggest offer was a laughable 300-400 bucks so I am still sitting on them. Hell I could sell my set of dual lands for at least 400 bucks right now.

I don't want to part my set out, but it looks like i am going to have to which blows ass...

Edited by Sacrafice540

I started with 4th edition & Ice Age and ended around Invasion with nearly every card of the same name totaling 4 of each except Legend cards that I only kept 2 of. So say the card "Counter" I had 1 from each set it was made from and so on. I only have 2 full complete sets which are Fallen Empires and Alliance. Ice Age and Mirage I think I am only missing 2 or 3 of. I was able to snag many of the cards from Unlimited through to when I started (Dark, Legends and such). My set of cards was worth $10,000 price guide value in 2001. I wanted 3000 back then because that was approximately what I put into it. My biggest offer was a laughable 300-400 bucks so I am still sitting on them. Hell I could sell my set of dual lands for at least 400 bucks right now.

I don't want to part my set out, but it looks like i am going to have to which blows ass...

Sadly, I don't think anyone will pay nearly what they're worth, but $10,000 and the best offer was at most $400? That IS a joke.

I don't expect to get nearly what I put into my cards or what they're worth, either. I'd estimate I've probably got at least $400 to $500 worth of cards, myself - and that's a low guess, considering what I paid for them.

Oh, and at the last gaming con I ever went to, a Beta Black Lotus was destroyed as the result of a charity auction (there were `voting jars' to put money into; one to give it away, another to destroy it) and an unopened box of Fallen Empires boosters was tossed into a wood chipper after no one bought it at the auction. I can't remember if FE was the current expansion at the time or if whichever one came after it was.

Some of the cards I know I have that *might* be of interest (if I don't say what its from, its because I don't remember):

Demonic Tutor (Revised)

Wrath of God (pretty sure its either Fourth or Fifth)

Kormus Bell (same)

Braingeyser

Amnesia

Most, if not all, Mana Batteries (from Fallen Empires)

Obelisk of Undoing

Stasis

Reverse Damage (pretty sure its from Revised)

I'm pretty sure I don't have an Armageddon, unfortunately.

Got a lot more than those, but those are the ones I can think of offhand. I have cards from The Dark through Weatherlight expansions, but not a whole lot of cards from The Dark (got into the game just as the next expansion was coming out and only got my hands on a handful of Dark boosters), and Revised through Fifth edition.

If anyone is looking for any cards in particular, PM me a list (don't post it here) and I'll look and see what I've got. But try to keep the list reasonable (ie, around 6 to 20 cards).

Edited by GhostMachine

I would say 20 of them give or take. I have at least 1 of each I think. I may be missing one or two, but I am pretty sure I have 4 G&W and 4 G&B because Green was my main color with White and Black 2nd. They are all Revised aswell so no super expensive ones :'(. It's been 7 years or so since I even looked through them. I open up the boxes every now and then to make sure the cards stay in the quality they are in and not getting damaged at all.

I kind of wish I could play the game. Maybe I will teach the wife how to play lol. Back then I was so much more powerful than all of my friends that when we got a huge game going they would all build up, then gang up on me to take me out then I would be sitting there for 2 hours watching cuz if they didn't I could pick them off pretty good. We had a house rule of no strait up 1st turn attack or early game attacking. We allowed each player to get set up which for the most part made for some intense games.

Edited by Sacrafice540

I would say 20 of them give or take. I have at least 1 of each I think. I may be missing one or two, but I am pretty sure I have 4 G&W and 4 G&B because Green was my main color with White and Black 2nd. They are all Revised aswell so no super expensive ones :'(. It's been 7 years or so since I even looked through them. I open up the boxes every now and then to make sure the cards stay in the quality they are in and not getting damaged at all.

I kind of wish I could play the game. Maybe I will teach the wife how to play lol. Back then I was so much more powerful than all of my friends that when we got a huge game going they would all build up, then gang up on me to take me out then I would be sitting there for 2 hours watching cuz if they didn't I could pick them off pretty good. We had a house rule of no strait up 1st turn attack or early game attacking. We allowed each player to get set up which for the most part made for some intense games.

My Mono White deck with lots of small, cheap flyers wouldn't be popular in that game :pervert:

Got back into Magic latly, the local comic shop does weekly booster draft which are always fun, building a new collection, just M10, Zendikar, Worldwake, Rise and M11 so far

My Mono White deck with lots of small, cheap flyers wouldn't be popular in that game :pervert:

Got back into Magic latly, the local comic shop does weekly booster draft which are always fun, building a new collection, just M10, Zendikar, Worldwake, Rise and M11 so far

lol... The only deck I got made up is a Sliver deck made ending with Invasion which at the time was current enough to be tourney legal. Invasion I think it was had a nice set of Dual Lands that I think only had to sit a turn before you could use them or something to that effect so it wasn't 1st turn damage, but 2nd turn it was on. I got to the point at the end when everyone was quitting I put that together and just beat the crap out of everyone in short time. I said enough is enough and if we are going out then I am going to kick some ass and quickly.

Edited by Sacrafice540

Discovered a great little combo at today's booster draft (finished 6th out of 9, but positions 3-7 all had the same 3-2 record, made a few mistake early on which cost me a better place). Fire Serpent (Doubles any Red Instant or Sorcery damage) + Lightning Bolt/Lava Axe. Or Using Fling on something when I have Fire Serpent on the field (even better when I've given them some stat boosting effect)