Ollie wants to buy games again...

probablyoliver

42 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one of the games I've already played...

• Grand Theft Auto IV
    • Batman: Arkham Asylum
    • Bioshock 2
  2. 2. Choose one of the games I should've already played...

3. 3. Wildcard, BITCHES!

It's that time again... payday.

So yeah, need a couple games to keep me preoccupied for the month, seeing as last months horde of multiplayer games ended badly when me and my girlfriend broke up. >_> I started playing Condemned last night, but it seems mind-numbingly mediocre. I also have Resi Evil 5 to actually start playing (although I'm told it's not worth it unless multiplayer) and I want to get back into Dead Space again as that was wonderful for the first few hours.

I'm considering picking up GTA IV again. I couldn't get into it last time, but I feel I should give it another chance. Same with Bioshock 2. As for other considerations, I want to play through Arkham Asylum again, and it's going pretty cheap now. Is Bayonetta worth the £12 price tag? Also I know UFC 2010 and Alan Wake have dropped in price since last month. I also feel I should finally jump on the COD band-wagon and at least give it a go before writing it off completely.

There's also Wolfenstein, The Saboteur and Just Cause 2 begging to be fooled around on.

So yeah, will probably only end up picking up a couple, as I'm not wanting to spend more than I have to on video games, but I do need a couple to see me through the month. So pick one of each of the games in the poll.

I really didn't get on with GTA IV, I had a lot more fun with Saints Row. I can appreciate what tehy were trying to do with it, but I have no inclination to go back to it, ever. Batman I could see being a fun go around, although Bioshock's probably got the most replay value with the multiplayer (which sould be a lot better now as it's been patched).

Bayonetta's okay I guess, I think it's one of those whereit does what it's meant to do well, I'm just not the target audience. And the overly-English accents really pissed me off. UFC is a marked improvement over '09, yet I don't come back to it very often. I'm not really fussed on COD, I don't get why so many people spunk all over it, and I hate how it's essentially the pikey game of choice, right with whichever FIFA is now three years old >_> Alan Wake is wonderful, I've only done the first chapter or so, but it's really well made and very engaging. One for Silent Hill fans from what I can gather.

I wouldn't bother with Wolfenstein nor Saboteur, although I haven't played either, I've heard plenty of negative reviews. Just Cause is probably a bit of a laugh though.

Technically Bayonetta isn't worth £12, slightly less infact. So long as you like hack and slash action games like Devil May Cry and the like then you'd be fine. CoD's good and there's still an online community for it if you wanna play online.

Sabotuer is OK, nothing special really. Just Cause is probably better for screwing around in. Wolfenstein I wouldn't mind playing myself actually. You've got upgradeable weapons and powers so I guess you could compare it to Bioshock, except it's in a heavily cliched setting and the story is probably pants.

I was so excited to get GTA IV, but when I began playing I lost interest immediately. Force yourself to play it, though, because eventually you'll get swept up in the characters and the story and LOVE it. If it wasn't for such a ridiculously difficult final mission (aka driving a helicopter) it'd be one of my all-time favourites. Seriously, will yourself to play it.

I got cod4 under advisement of the entire Call of Duty community... the campaign is one of the greatest, but playing online left me with a bit of an ho/hum feeling. Then I played MW2 and it trumped it in both campaign and ESPECIALLY online. Seriously, if you just want fun and a guarantee to kill some people, pick-up MW2 if you haven't.

And as for the final category, I haven't played any, but I've heard good things about Just Cause 2, while nothing about the others.

Just Cause 2 is like a less glitchy Mercenaries 2, whilst still retaining bits of glitchy goodness. It's fun, and you can while away the hours with it, but it's nothing special.

Bayonetta will give you carpal tunnel, or RSI, or some other wrist related injury. Like Dragsy said, it's good for its genre, but I'm not a huge fan of that kinda game, so it didn't really work for me.

From what I've gathered, Wolfenstein and The Saboteur are both mediocre, but I've not played either, so could be worth a punt.

So you guys have spoken, and tomorrow or Sunday I'll be picking up new games. Wheyy. I think I'll opt for Alan Wake over COD, as I think I'd probably have more fun with Wake, and COD is dropping in price by the day and I can pick that up whenever I so please. Also, I'm somewhat torn between Batman/GTA too (as you guys are, apparently, seriously, that's had a different leader damn near every day). I mean, I loved Batman and couldn't get into GTA, but if I can push myself through with GTA, chances are it'll have a lot more replay value than Batman. That and Batman is still like £18, which is shocking. I can't seem to find Just Cause 2 for toffee, which is balls. Also, if I decide on GTA I'll more than likely pick up Wolfenstein instead, just because I can only handle so many sandboxes.

So yeah, I'll either get Alan Wake, Batman and Just Cause 2 or Alan Wake, GTA IV and Wolfenstein.

I look forward to it, and cheers to all for voting and no doubt I'll do the same topic next month. >_>

-

Also, bobinc, Condemned. I just could not get into that game in the slightest, and I tend to love first person 'horror'. For me the main problem was the atmosphere and overall stylistics of the game, I only played through an hour of it, but it just didn't grab me at all. You shouldn't want to turn round corners in games like that (see: Bioshock, Fallout 3, Dead Space), but I found myself more interested in running around like a madman looking for dead birds (who collects dead birds, seriously?). That and the overall design of the game just didn't interest me, the character design was clunky and off-putting, the scenery was paper-thin and the whole 'investigating' aspect of it was boring as all hell. So yeah, maybe I needed to give it a bit more time to grow on me, but yeah, I didn't enjoy it.