2011 MLB Season

sahyder1

I finally checked out a game at New Yankees Stadium on Tuesday and I have to say that the old stadium was a better place to watch a game. In honor of their clinching the division tonight, I have to say that it's a bit disgusting that a team could win 95+ games without a bonafide clear cut # 2 starter. I know that Nova's record is great, but his peripherals aren't and I wouldn't expect him to hold up in the playoffs. Burnett and Hughes aren't pitching well at all and guys like Colon and Garcia at this point in their careers should never be responsible for ~50 starts in the Yankees rotation. I know that their offense cures all ills, but I'm mystified as to how this team could still win 100 games with that rotation that seems to be held together by duct tape and stem cells.

I love how the AL and NL Wildcards are going to more or less come down to the final week. Phillies play the Braves, who you'd imagine they'd rather have in the playoffs than the Cardinals. And the Yanks have a series with the Sox, that can determine who gets the spot between Boston and Tampa. Or even the Angels if they keep winning. Fun times.

I don't care how drunk the Yankees are from last night but this kid Moore has been very impressive in his first career start. 11Ks through five.

Also, one of these years one of these wild 3 team tiebreakers will actually happen. I'm surprised but glad that these playoff races have gotten tight. A couple of weeks ago it looked like it was going to be a boring month of baseball.

Edit: 6'11 Brackman making his MLB debut for the Yankees now

Edited by sahyder1

I finally checked out a game at New Yankees Stadium on Tuesday and I have to say that the old stadium was a better place to watch a game. In honor of their clinching the division tonight, I have to say that it's a bit disgusting that a team could win 95+ games without a bonafide clear cut # 2 starter. I know that Nova's record is great, but his peripherals aren't and I wouldn't expect him to hold up in the playoffs. Burnett and Hughes aren't pitching well at all and guys like Colon and Garcia at this point in their careers should never be responsible for ~50 starts in the Yankees rotation. I know that their offense cures all ills, but I'm mystified as to how this team could still win 100 games with that rotation that seems to be held together by duct tape and stem cells.

Time and time again we see in the playoffs that you have to have a dominant rotation in the playoffs to succeed. I hate the Phillies, but I don't see how anyone is going to beat the Phillies when they throw out Halladay/Lee/Oswalt/Hamels/Halladay/Lee/Oswalt in a seven game series. Not to mention with the addition of Pence, the Phillies have a lineup that can match up with anyones...

I'm still pulling for the Rangers to make it back to the WS, even though I know it's a long shot. Colby Lewis hasn't been pitching like we hoped he would lately, which leaves us with C.J. Wilson, Derek Holland and an above average-but still not where we wish he'd be Matt Harrison. Lewis dominated in the playoffs last season and needs to return to that form if we're going to make it back. Our lineup is surging at the right time, too, and I'd say we match up well against the Yankees or Sox if we draw either one of them.

Time and time again we see in the playoffs that you have to have a dominant rotation in the playoffs to succeed. I hate the Phillies, but I don't see how anyone is going to beat the Phillies when they throw out Halladay/Lee/Oswalt/Hamels/Halladay/Lee/Oswalt in a seven game series. Not to mention with the addition of Pence, the Phillies have a lineup that can match up with anyones...

I'm still pulling for the Rangers to make it back to the WS, even though I know it's a long shot. Colby Lewis hasn't been pitching like we hoped he would lately, which leaves us with C.J. Wilson, Derek Holland and an above average-but still not where we wish he'd be Matt Harrison. Lewis dominated in the playoffs last season and needs to return to that form if we're going to make it back. Our lineup is surging at the right time, too, and I'd say we match up well against the Yankees or Sox if we draw either one of them.

Here's the problem.... we can't hit right now. It's the same issue we had last year against the Giants. Granted we've been sending out a semi-AAA lineup the last week after clinching the East, but if the offense doesn't get it together, it could be the same issue as last postseason.

Here's the problem.... we can't hit right now. It's the same issue we had last year against the Giants. Granted we've been sending out a semi-AAA lineup the last week after clinching the East, but if the offense doesn't get it together, it could be the same issue as last postseason.

The Phillies have a veteran team, and are using the advantage of clinching early to get some of their guys rest. I'm sure as the season is winding down now, Howard, Utley and Rollins will get back into the lineup and get them some ABs before crunch time hits. I would be surprised if the Phillies didn't at least get to the World Series, let alone win it. They won't have SF to deal with this year, and aside from Atlanta, no one in the NL has the arms to compete with them.

I was looking at something on Baseball-Reference.com today and came across an unusual stat. Curtis Granderson of potential 2011 MVP fame has come to the plate 680 times and has a total of ZERO IBB this year. He leads the league in runs scored, RBIs, has over 40 HRs to his name and hasn't been intentionally walked once this entire season. I can't really think of anyone else putting up numbers like that who never gets a free pass in the post Barry Bonds era.