2011 MLB Season

sahyder1

Papelbum just coughed up the lead with 2 outs and 2 strikes. The Red Sox don't want the Braves to be alone in the "Greatest Chokejob of 2011" discussion.

EDIT: LMAO. Carl Crawford comes up small with the season on the line and Papsmear limps off the field a loser. A Longoria game winning bomb would be sufficient salt in Crawford's wound I think.

Edited by naiwf

I'll stand by my stance that the current playoff format should remain the same.

Any other night, I'd be aggravated at blowing a 7-0 lead, but we were able to throw out like a dozen pitchers that we're going to need in the playoffs. We easily could have brought Mo in in the ninth and walked away 7-6, but I like Boston sitting at home sobbing much better.

• Like 1

Guest mr. potato head

I'll stand by my stance that the current playoff format should remain the same.

Any other night, I'd be aggravated at blowing a 7-0 lead, but we were able to throw out like a dozen pitchers that we're going to need in the playoffs. We easily could have brought Mo in in the ninth and walked away 7-6, but I like Boston sitting at home sobbing much better.

In 1993, everyone was complaining that the introduction of the wild card meant we'd never care about last-day regular season games again. I think we'll be just fine. :P

Absolutely awesome night of baseball last night. Do you guys remember when everyone said Boston is gonna win the World Series in the beginning of the year? The Yankees didn't make any moves, so they messed up their season before it even started. Boston was going to run away with the title because of their acquisitions.

Lol.

• Like 4

I still don't think New York can win the championship. They have one front line rotation guy and then a posse of "maybe" guys. I like the Rangers or Rays' chances because of a depth of starting pitching to get out of the American League. The National League is a little more up in the air, the Brewers have a great rotation as well as the Phillies, obviously. I wouldn't discount the Cardinals either, with Carpenter and Garcia.

Needless to say, the playoffs should provide some awesome matchups.

Cardinals are red hot right now too, they went 18-8 in September. I wouldn't blink if they beat the Phillies and with relative ease. That said, it's hard to discount the Philadelphia rotation and they have to be obvious favorites.

My predictions, in any case...

NLDS

Phillies in 5

Brewers in 4

NLCS

Phillies in 6

ALDS

Tigers in 5

Rangers in 4

ALCS

Rangers in 5

World Series

Rangers in 6

May as well throw my predictions out there:

NLDS

Cardinals in 4

That's right. I said earlier in the thread that Philly did NOT want Atlanta to lose out the Wild Card spot to St. Louis. The Cards are 6-3 against the Phillies this year. I don't see that trend ending especially now that St. Louis is hot and Philly is slumping.

Brewers in 4

This is more of a pleasure pick. I like the idea of the Brewers.

ALDS

Yankees in 4

Would not be the least bit surprised if Verlander shut us down. But despite people poo-pooing our pitching staff, we did find a way to squeak out 97 wins this year. Must not be doing too shabby so far.

Rays in 5

The only series I have 'going-the-distance' in the first round. I think both teams are evenly matched, and really could be the most exciting match-up of the first round.

NLCS

Cardinals in 6

I like the idea of the Brewers, but the Cards have a better rotation and in the playoffs, the hotter team wins.

ALCS

Yankees in 7

This is a tough one. One rough game could throw the momentum to either team. In the end, I think our experience could prevail.

World Series

Yankees vs. Cardinals

No frickin' clue. I want to say the Yankees would win this, but I can't say for certain that's what I truelly believe. Obviously, I'd love for us to win, but this match-up could cause all kinds of problems. Would be a fun series, though, I'm sure.

I would love to see the Rays win so that yet another Florida based team (Heat, Marlins) with no fan base can celebrate a championship while the rest of America's die hard fans suffer. As you probably know I'm fine with anyone other than the Yankees or Phillies winning, but I think it's going to be a disappointing year.

• Like 1

Where do the Yankee fans here start on the Burnett vs Garcia Game 3 start? As bad as Burnett has been I would have taken him over Garcia. Neither is a great option but Garcia seems like a setup for one of those 2.1 innings 6 runs outings.

As for my picks:

Rays over Rangers in 4

Tigers over Yankees in 5

Phillies over Cardinals

Brewers over Diamondbacks

Rays over Tigers in 6

Phillies over Brewers in 5

World Series

Rays over Phillies in 6

There is word that the Red Sox are going to part ways with Francona. Stupid move.

Edited by sahyder1

Burnett's such a friggin' toss-up. He may go out there and shut the Tigers out for seven innings (less likely) or give up eight runs in three. But Garcia's ERA is like 3.60 and Burnett's is over 5. With that whole Jekyl/Hyde thing AJ has going, I'm honestly ok with Garcia going in Game Three.

Burnett's such a friggin' toss-up. He may go out there and shut the Tigers out for seven innings (less likely) or give up eight runs in three. But Garcia's ERA is like 3.60 and Burnett's is over 5. With that whole Jekyl/Hyde thing AJ has going, I'm honestly ok with Garcia going in Game Three.

Garcia had a lower ERA this year but his 2nd half ERA was something like 4.5 He got worse later in the season just like Colon did which was to be expected given the innings. He's going to be on a short leash but I just think you could've done that with Burnett. There is more of a chance that Burnett gives you 5-6 good innings in a big game then Garcia at this point in their careers. Garcia has been a very good playoff starter over the course of his career but I just don't see him coming through here.

I don't understand why the Yankees are keeping Burnett on the playoff roster (unless Hughes is being left off the roster). Is he really going to be of any use out of the bullpen. Should've just sent him down to Tampa and had him throw on the side and given him the Game 3 or 4 start in the ALCS if the Yankees got that far.

As for the playoff format talk I definitely want them to add the one extra spot. Have a play in game between the two wildcard teams. Makes winning the division mean more. Keeps more teams involved in the playoff race and provides more meaningful baseball in September. The MLB struggles to maintain relevance in September with the NFL being back and this would be a step in combating that. The TV ratings would be great for the one game playoffs too.

Edited by sahyder1