PS2 Problem - discs with blue bottoms?

MalaCloudy Black

Does anybody know if certain models of the PS2 have problems reading game discs with blue undersides (oh, gee, I'm so technical.) I just bought The Sims PS2 Greatest Hits version and it won't play on my PS2. I've tried putting the PS2 in both different positions and I've looked at the disc, which has no problems (scratches etc). I think it *may* have something to do with the model of PS2 I own, which is one of the older models - My friend had two PS2's, and, at one point, one would only play discs with silver undersides and the other only played discs with the blue undersides.

I am sad, I want to play The Sims :(

It sounds like it's a problem with your PS2. The underside isn't anything to worry about - the blue discs are DVDs and the clear discs are normal CDs. That's the only difference. Call up Maxis or whoever you need to call and see what the problem is - maybe the disc is faulty? Have you cleaned it? Whatever it is, I wouldn't have thought it'd be down to your disc color.

Edited by britneyspearsisgod

the laser in the older models tend to tear up faster or mis align which would give errors or not play blue bottom disc at all . thats the way my first ps2 did bought a new model and now all games work fine even ps1 games

It sounds like it's a problem with your PS2.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at >_>, I think my PS2 has a problem reading DVD discs perhaps because it's an older model.

and Vengy...that's what The Sims is doing. It makes really loud noises and gives me a Disc Read Error.

I suppose I'm going to have to try to clean the disc, but in the event that doesn't work does anyone know of any FAQs or Troubleshooting guides about these kinds of problems?

Does anybody know if certain models of the PS2 have problems reading game discs with blue undersides (oh, gee, I'm so technical.) I just bought The Sims PS2 Greatest Hits version and it won't play on my PS2. I've tried putting the PS2 in both different positions and I've looked at the disc, which has no problems (scratches etc). I think it *may* have something to do with the model of PS2 I own, which is one of the older models - My friend had two PS2's, and, at one point, one would only play discs with silver undersides and the other only played discs with the blue undersides.

I am sad, I want to play The Sims :(

gamefaqs has a faq on how to take your ps2 apart and claen it and stuff theirs even a guide floating around how to adjust the the laser and stuff check under ps2 hardware and the faqs

gamefaqs has a faq on how to take your ps2 apart and claen it and stuff theirs even a guide floating around how to adjust the the laser and stuff check under ps2 hardware and the faqs

Or not, as it voids your warranty to disengage your laser module.

Got it already. I've cleaned the innards of my PS2, so to speak, twice in the past year. It's worked moderately well, but right now I'm only having a problem playing The Sims...everything else I've tried has worked, so far.

Or not, as it voids your warranty to disengage your laser module.

The warranty was up looong ago, and like I said I've already done it twice and it's worked pretty well.

Edited by Chemical Imbalance

I don't actually have anything to suggest, but the same thing happened to me with all blue-disc games, and I tried to take the PS2 apart and killed it. :(

So I had to buy a new one. :(

To say something remotely helpful, maybe you could take the game back to wherever you got it from and exchange it for a different copy?

I don't actually have anything to suggest, but the same thing happened to me with all blue-disc games, and I tried to take the PS2 apart and killed it. :(

So I had to buy a new one. :(

To say something remotely helpful, maybe you could take the game back to wherever you got it from and exchange it for a different copy?

My friend had a problem really similar with the blue discs, he had one system that played ONLY blue discs and rejected silver discs, while the other was the exact opposite.

And I don't think returning it for a new copy would help though, all copies of The Sims are probably on blue discs :/ I don't know though, could be wrong..

I work at WalMart, we got a message saying that the first couple of models of the PS2 cannot read blue bottom discs. Plus their warranty is void because of how long they have been out, so basically, all they told us was people have to get new PS2s. Sux, but that's what they said.

All you have to do is put 2 seperate pieces of Scotch tape on the top part of the CD close to the center and they'll work fine.

I read about that on GameFAQs. Will it work with DVD-format games though? Do you know?

Guest The Survivor

PS2's are great but at the same time they get fucked up too much. My first one was the first model and it didn't played blue bottom discs. After almost two years of having it, the thing started to make this loud sounds and not read ANY game at all. I took it apart and blah blah, it played for almost thirty minutes but... after a few days of doing it again and again, it just didn't want to turn on.

Now, I have the latest model. It doesn't make any noise at all and I haven't had any problems... even though it's only a month old.

And if you want to play The Sims that badly... The Sims 2 is coming up and it's just 200 times better than the PS2 ones.

Edited by The Survivor

Although I'm now starting to experience a bit of trouble with my Red Dwarf Vol. 3 DVD and my Family Guy Vol. 2/Disc 2 DVD, my PS2 has been absolutely brilliant when it comes to games, and it is the first model released to the public.

That said, however, it may be a good idea to just go ahead and trade in the console to an EB and shell out the extra $100 or so to pick up a new model. That's only if you have the money to spare, of course.

Also of note: Vengy's avatar rocks.

That said, however, it may be a good idea to just go ahead and trade in the console to an EB and shell out the extra $100 or so to pick up a new model. That's only if you have the money to spare, of course.

...I don't. I'm poor. YOU PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW THAT

EDIT:

..Can anybody help me on the scotch tape method thing? I'm not going to try it until I *know* that it's a) relatively safe and B ) actually works on DVD format games.

Edited by Chemical Imbalance

Guest Kamala

Same thing happened to me a few years back, only managed to take it to the chip shop a week back and get it fixed, more than likely your hard drives burnt out because thats what we had to get, a new hardrive.