The Pop Music Thread

StevenRichardsRules

Let's talk about pop music. Feel free to bitch (or praise, but I'm a realist) about the latest music that all the kids listening to.

Has anyone heard Rihanna's new song, "S&M"? I am fascinated by it. On the one hand, I have to question why it was released as a single (or even written). It makes me think about the whole Chris Brown incident. Watching the video, it seems like something made with the sole purpose of titillating. The video's like a bad Gaga rip-off. Did she just go "super sexy" to avoid being viewed as a victim (like Jennifer Aniston)?

On the other, it's so fucking catchy. God damn it!

Maybe I am overthinking it. These are the things that keep me awake at night.

Edited by StevenRichardsRules

Let's talk about pop music. Feel free to bitch (or praise, but I'm a realist) about the latest music that all the kids listening to.

Has anyone heard Rihanna's new song, "S&M"? I am fascinated by it. On the one hand, I have to question why it was released as a single (or even written). It makes me think about the whole Chris Brown incident. Watching the video, it seems like something made with the sole purpose of titillating. The video's like a bad Gaga rip-off. Did she just go "super sexy" to avoid being viewed as a victim (like Jennifer Aniston)?

Rihanna's always been "super sexy". Well, since Umbrella anyway.

The video's like a bad Gaga rip-off.

Bad David LaChapelle rip-off. With that said, Rihanna is the best American pop star around right now, so I'm not complaining.

Edited by RockPaperScissors

NOW I'M FEELIN' SO FLY LIKE A G6!

Have you heard the Far East Movement's new song "Rocketman"? (I think that's the title). It's actually ... quite decent, kinda cutesy in a way but nice. I must admit I liked Like a G6 solely for the beat.

Rihanna's always been "super sexy". Well, since Umbrella anyway.

I just mean more forward with her sexuality. She's always been sexy, yes, but she hasn't always been trying to remind listeners about it. It just seems like trend with her that her singles have been increasingly sexual. I might be crazy.

Also, shall we Whip Out Hair (back and forth)?

S&M is a really good song, to be honest. It's probably one of the songs I'm playing the most right now, alongside Thriller/Heads Will Roll from the Superbowl Glee episode. But right now I'm more or less just counting down the hours and minutes until Born This Way comes out on Friday. Then I'll be a very, very happy boy.

The new Lights song is fucking terrible. :(

And new Owl City is out in March. I'm annoyed by it for 2 reasons. He's went all 'I LOVE GOD!' cunt and called it "All Things Bright & Beautiful", plus his website refers to it as his 'sophomore album'. IT'S YOUR FUCKING THIRD! It's one thing for mainstream media to wrongly label an album (see The Gaslight Anthem), but for the artist himself, fucking bullshit.

Edited by YI

S&M is a great song. "Sticks and Stones may break my bones but Chains and Whips excite me"? Lyrical Genius.

I remember reading a timeline that shows Rhianna's singles releases and their content. They go from girly songs (e.g. Umbrella, Take a Bow) before the Chris Brown incident to sexual video clips and songs (e.g. Disturbia, Rude Boy, S&M) after the incident.

Honestly, the change has boosted her career ten fold.

I'm just gonna say it. Whip My Hair is one of the greatest unintentionally great, most catchy song of the last few years.

And new Owl City is out in March. I'm annoyed by it for 2 reasons. He's went all 'I LOVE GOD!' cunt and called it "All Things Bright & Beautiful", plus his website refers to it as his 'sophomore album'. IT'S YOUR FUCKING THIRD! It's one thing for mainstream media to wrongly label an album (see The Gaslight Anthem), but for the artist himself, fucking bullshit.

The second album is basically the same as the first one. <_<

The second album is basically the same as the first one. <_<

The 2nd album only has 2-songs from the first (and another from his EP), there were 11 different songs on there. Unless you meant detrimentally that "all his songs sound the same", in which case I kind of agree.

And "Whip My Hair" is fucking awful.

Edited by YI

Gonna be honest, I don't hate it. I also don't think it's awful. However, I don't think it's very good either. I dig the beat under the lyrics (except the chorus and the breakdown parts). Also, I don't mind most of the lyrics (again, excluding the chorus and the breakdown part). So, basically, I think it kinda breaks down at the chorus and it just doesn't work for me. Kinda disappointing since I loved her first album. Still, this is mediocre at best and slightly annoying at worst.

Also, does anyone remember when Avril Lavigne was an "anti-pop star" pop star? You know, when she used to write songs about isolation and being alienated and do interviews saying that she didn't want to be Britney Spears/whatever new pop diva that's "in" this month? Yeah, neither do I. <_<

"What the Hell" is better than a lot of her forays into really poppy (and vacuous) territory, but it still anoys me because she could be doing quite a bit better. She's no lyricist genius by any stretch, but it kinda seems like a waste. Catchy, definately, but a bit of an under-effort. Also, I want to slap whoever wrote the whole "I am messing with your head when I'm messing with you in bed" line (and felt the need to make sure it shows up repeatedly in the song). It's stupid.

Side rant: Fuck that Pittsburg Steelers anthem the radio keeps playing ("Black and Yellow"?). Repeating the same line over and over does not a chorus make.