Download Festival: 2011

DFF

Looks like I'm going (w00t.gif). Any one been before? What's it like? Friday looks pretty sweet, Korn, Pendulum, Alter Bridge, Bring me the Horizon, Def Leppard.

Also, anyone ever been to a Korn show? Going to see them in Glasgow as well

Have you been to any kind of festival before?

I've been to DL every year since '07 and, whilst I prefer Bloodstock, its still a good festival, with pretty good sound, a nice layout and generally good times. All I'd say is to prepare for all eventualities (especially weather), and you'll have an awesome time :)

• 2 weeks later...

Download is the place to be this year I think! I prefer Download to both Reading/Leeds and Sonisphere. On the one hand; Reading Friday and Sonisphere Saturday are both incredible; but Download is the better across the whole weekend.

I'm still considering daytickets to both Soni and Reading but Reading is less likely as it's really far (Whereas Knebworth is really close to me, so is possible) Obviously it all boils down to my money situation at the end of the day, too.

Reading -

My Chemical Romance

The Offspring

Rise Against

New Found Glory

Jimmy Eat World (Although i'm seeing them support Foo Fighters so no big deal)

Muse

Enter Shikari

Sonisphere -

Metallica

Megadeth

Sum 41

Kids in Glass Houses

Biffy (Likewise though, seeing them support Foo Fighters)

Slipknot

Limp Bizkit

Motorhead

Fozzy

Sum 41

Download - (not including clashes, so would be an even longer list if it were to include Pendulum, Korn, FFAF etc)!!

Def Leppard

The Darkness!!!

Alter Bridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thin Lizzy

Puddle of Mudd

The Damned Things

System of a Down

Avenged Sevenfold

Hollywood Undead

Linkin Park

Bullet for my valentine

Disturbed

The Pretty Reckless

Bowling for Soup

There also this...

Download has:

and:

Back-to-back! I really hope the sun is out when they're on. It's gonna be awesome!

• Like 1

Looking forward to Download, this will be my first time there. A few bands I'd like to see for the first time (Rob Zombie, Anti-Flag, Alter Bridge, Avenged Sevenfold, Alice Cooper, Cheap Trick, Sevendust, Framing Hanley and The Cult) and a whole bunch of bands I want to see again.

Also heading to Sonisphere. Both events will have different feel entirely, no idea why everyone's trying to compare them. It's good that they're distinctly different.

Also heading to Reading, which again, has a totally different feel to it.

Dubstep/Rave group Modestep have been announced as the headliner for the Red Bull Stage on the Friday.

• 2 weeks later...

Along with officially adding Modestep, the following bands were added yesterday afternoon/last night:

Evaline, Japanese Voyeurs, Sworn Amongst, Hell, Don Broco, Dangerous, Kill 21, Fighting Wolves, H.E.A.T., You And What Army, Slaves to Gravity, The Dirty Youth, Heaven's Basement, Obsessive Compulsive, Verses, Maiden United, Skin, Red White & Blues, Million $ Reload, and Voodoo Johnson.

Apparently there's approximately 15 bands left to be added too. I'll update the front page shortly.

So far, my festival is looking something like this:

221801_10150231969370339_576485338_9317150_2367429_n.jpg

Wayne Static has pulled out for unknown reasons. It's not yet known if he'll be replaced.

Along with officially adding Modestep, the following bands were added yesterday afternoon/last night:

Evaline, Japanese Voyeurs, Sworn Amongst, Hell, Don Broco, Dangerous, Kill 21, Fighting Wolves, H.E.A.T., You And What Army, Slaves to Gravity, The Dirty Youth, Heaven's Basement, Obsessive Compulsive, Verses, Maiden United, Skin, Red White & Blues, Million $ Reload, and Voodoo Johnson.

Apparently there's approximately 15 bands left to be added too. I'll update the front page shortly.

So far, my festival is looking something like this:

221801_10150231969370339_576485338_9317150_2367429_n.jpg

Your list looks a lot like mine. I'm getting fairly anxious to see the final setlist times so that I can confirm the inevitable clashes.

Your list looks a lot like mine. I'm getting fairly anxious to see the final setlist times so that I can confirm the inevitable clashes.

If you want to have a guess at the times, I suspect the 2nd and 3rd stage bands'll be similar to 2009. 4th and 5th will probably echo 2010. Main stage will be trickiest to guess as they've been all over the place the last couple of years.

Which bands are you most looking forward to seeing? Timmayy and I are getting quite hyped for the RossBoss/Rock Sugar combo of FUN~! We're even buying cheap cowboy hats! Haha!

Andy Copping has announced that Skindred will be playing on the acoustic stage at some point during the weekend.

Yeah, I saw that the other day.

They've also announced the 3rd 'boardie takeover' for the Thursday night, with bands either with DL forum members in, or cheap/unsigned bands that come highly recommended by members playing. The bands they've announced are: NYA, Bull-Riff Stampede, Aceldama, and Stone Circle. They start at 5pm on the Thursday, and after Nya finish there'll be a DJ set running into the evening.

I've not heard/checked out any of them yet - except for Stone Circle. I saw them play Bloodstock Unsigned last year (they have since been signed) and they were fucking amazing. They're progressive death metal, highly influenced by Opeth, Katatonia and Amorphis.

I'm definitely looking forward to Boss Hoss and Rock Sugar as well. In fact, Saturday's second stage looks great to me, especially Twisted Sister, who I have wanted to see for a long time. It's just a shame that Alice Cooper is clashing with System of a Down as I'd have loved to see both of their sets in full. At the moment, I'm planning to catch a bit of both, although those plans don't always end up working as well in reality as they do in theory.

I'll probably be spending most of my time on the second stage on the Sunday as well. Rob Zombie's supposed to be playing a hugely elaborate show that will be professionally recorded, so, even though I'm not a die-hard fan of his, that's certain to be worth seeing.

I'm definitely looking forward to Boss Hoss and Rock Sugar as well. In fact, Saturday's second stage looks great to me, especially Twisted Sister, who I have wanted to see for a long time. It's just a shame that Alice Cooper is clashing with System of a Down as I'd have loved to see both of their sets in full. At the moment, I'm planning to catch a bit of both, although those plans don't always end up working as well in reality as they do in theory.

I'll probably be spending most of my time on the second stage on the Sunday as well. Rob Zombie's supposed to be playing a hugely elaborate show that will be professionally recorded, so, even though I'm not a die-hard fan of his, that's certain to be worth seeing.

If you've never seen Twisted Sister, then definitely make a point to do so. They were immense at Bloodstock last year, and I'm choosing to see them again over A7X (which might not sound much to some, but I've never seen A7X and actually do quite like them :P).

Timmayy and I are getting some cheap cowboy hats especially for BossHoss. If you fancy a pint at some point over the weekend with us, I'll drop you my mob number in a PM :)

• 2 weeks later...

A few quiet addtions/re-shufflings:

Suicide Silence are now opening main stage Sunday - replacing Wayne Static, who pulled out.

Collapse have taken Suicide Silence's old slot.

Raven Vandelle and Skindred have been added to the Jagermeister acoustic stage, on Sunday and Friday respectively.

Dripback have been added to 4th Stage on Ssaturday.

Collapse, Dave McPherson, Intraverse, The Last Republic, Never Means Maybe, Sons of Icarus, Trucker Diablo and Welcome Wednesday have also been added. On top of that, the stage times should be announced next Monday, according to Andy Copping.

I've updated the front page.

Also, here's an updated copy of my colour coded poster:

252713_10150259801650339_576485338_9548966_4952927_n.jpg