Download Festival: 2011

DFF

Apparently this is Ghost. I'm... intrigued! They clearly has a sense of humour - on their myspace their genre is listed as black metal/power pop. A winning combo if there ever was one! Haha.

YI, best post ever.

Ghost are pretty good, but fairly generic hard rock. Probably worth seeing live if you get the chance, though, they're better than some of the shit that's playing.

Someone hold the front pages; YI and Skummy don't like hard rock and metal >_>

Ghost are... weird.... I'll be checking them out if there isn't another band I'd prefer to see. Some of their stuff sounds pretty cool, some pretty crap.

I wouldn't say that. I regularly DJ a heavy metal night. In my CD collection there's a separate set of shelves specifically for heavy metal. I just don't like half the dross that gets booked to play at Download, and I think it gets progressively worse each year, with only one or two silver linings.

The video Skummy posted is hilarious.

EDIT: GWAR and Turisas are 'likely' to be playing Sunday. Stage currently unknown.

Frank Turner and Gaslight at Download? If they play the same day, I'm getting a ticket.

Turner's definitely headlining 3rd on the Sunday. There are reports of Gaslight also playing Sunday, but they are unconfirmed thus far.

A few more band placements have been announced, so I've edited the front page. Bear in mind that some of the ordering of bands below second-top could be wrong, I've just tried to guess a general order if they haven't officially announced a slot. Gotta say I'm liking the look of main stage Friday atm.

Of particular interest for Dragsy - Gaslight are MAIN STAGE on Sunday. :)

Also, we are possibly getting another announcement next week if they can sort the details out for it. I'm guessing it'll be Friday sub-headliner + 2 or 3 others.

Finally, in the latest 'shit hits the fan on the DL forums', they have said that 3rd top on Saturday has been offered to a band already announced. Considering the biggest are Down, Clutch, Bring me the Horizon, Madina Lake and Buckcherry, it looks a smidgen weak for a slot that was covered by Killswitch, Megadeth and Motorhead last year.

Apparently there is a small additional band announcement tomorrow with between 4 and 7 bands being added.

Apparently there is a small additional band announcement tomorrow with between 4 and 7 bands being added.

The announcement will be in tomorrow's issue of Kerrang, and also on the website in the morning. It should be interesting, but there's no doubt that people will complain no matter who happens to be announced.

The announcement will be in tomorrow's issue of Kerrang, and also on the website in the morning. It should be interesting, but there's no doubt that people will complain no matter who happens to be announced.

Indeed. There are not many rumours flying about for this one, other than Puddle of Mudd. Apparently they have a 'big UK announcement' this week. I guess we'll see in around 10-12 hours.

Puddle of Mudd are, as expected, one of the announced bands. The others are as follows:

VersaEmerge

The Pretty Reckless

Times of Grace

Evile

Suicide Silence

Your Demise

There are a couple of good bands in there for me, which isn't bad for a "small" announcement at this stage. Evile should put on a good show and Puddle of Mudd will be interesting even though I'm not a particularly huge fan. I'm generally unfamiliar with the others, though, so I would have to check them out before venturing any kind of opinion. Still, on the whole, though, things are looking fairly solid and promising at the moment, at least in my opinion. Yes, I can understand why some people may be a little disenchanted by some of the bands in the more prominent positions on the bill, but I think that the undercard makes up for it to a large extent.