High Voltage Festival: 2011

DFF

Like the Bloodstock and Download threads, I thought it time that High Voltage had it's own. For those who do not know High Voltage, it is a fairly new festival (started last year) based in London. It's main genres are classic rock and prog, though they also have a metal stage too.

The headliners and a bunch of bands have already been announced. Judas Priest's performance will apparently be their last one together at a UK festival before they retire.

Main Stage

Saturday

Judas Priest

Slash Feat. Miles Kennedy

Thin Lizzy

Queensrÿche

Michael Monroe

Rival Sons

Skin

Sunday

Dream Theater

Black Country Communion

Thunder

Michael Schenker Group

Saint Jude

Heaven's Basement

Prog Stage

Saturday

John Lees' Barclay James Harvest

Neal Morse

Anathema

Caravan

Amplifier

Von Hertzen Brothers

Sunday

Jethro Tull

Spock's Beard

Mostly Autumn

Curved Air

The Enid

Pallas

Metal Hammer Stage

Days not fullY confirmed yet, but looking at page dedicated to the MH stage, it looks like the following:

Saturday

Electric Wizard

Grand Magus

Sylosis

Ravens Creed

Triggerfinger

Primitai

Attica Rage

Sunday

Neurosis

Black Spiders

Gentleman's Pistols

Graveyard

The Treatment

Furyon

+The First Ever High Voltage Beer Festival, with 30 beers and ciders with its own folk/acoustic/bluegrass stage, with around 12 acts.

I thought Thunder retired a few years back?

Yeah, they did (I saw their 'last' festival performance at Download in fact). Apparently they have re-formed. The announcement High Voltage made made it sound like they were as surprised as anyone. Fair play to booking them, though. A quality rock band.

According to their website, it's a one time only thing.

Thunder News - Band Reunites for One Off UK Festival Appearance

Tuesday, 15 February 2011 00:00

Yes people, it’s true.

I’ve been informed today that the ex members of Thunder have agreed to reunite after almost 2 years apart, for a one off show at High Voltage Festival, at Victoria Park London on Sunday July 24th.

I’ve been asked to point out that this does not mean they’re getting back together, and there are no plans to record or release any new material. In fact Luke and Chris have asked me to stress that whilst they’re both chuffed to be doing a Thunder show, their commitment to The Union and the new album release (later this year) is undiminished, and the writing is going really well.

All ex-Thunder band members’ other activities will remain unchanged, and Harry is about to go on tour with Magnum, so this really is a one off.

Danny says: “I can’t lie, I’ve missed singing and being in the band more than I thought I would over the past couple of years, so when High Voltage called last week, I was keen to explore it, as it was great last year. We’re still releasing the new “Rough & Ready” live album, but there’s no plan to do any other recording going forwards. It will be great to play again, and we’re really excited”.

Luke says: “I thoroughly enjoyed playing at the inaugural High Voltage last year with The Union so I'm really looking forward to getting together with the rest of the boys for a one-off reunion (no pun intended). Fortunately it fitted in nicely with everything else we're doing so in the end it was difficult to say no. I'm sure we'll have a lot of fun”.

Ben says: “We’re all busy with other things, so it took a bit of discussion to ensure there were no clashes, but we got it sorted. I only live down the road, and I can’t think of a better way to spend a sunny Sunday evening, so happy days!”

This is great news, I will of course be there, as I hope will you, but there is no more information, so please don’t bombard me for info on a new studio album, tour etc.

Full festival and line up details can be found at http://www.highvoltagefestival.com/

from: http://www.thunderonline.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=286

Judas Priest are reportedly doing a few UK academy dates with Queensryche around the same time as High Voltage, which somewhat lessens the appeal of getting a day ticket if I can see them elsewhere. I suppose it will probably come down to the overall price differences between the two options.

Judas Priest are reportedly doing a few UK academy dates with Queensryche around the same time as High Voltage, which somewhat lessens the appeal of getting a day ticket if I can see them elsewhere. I suppose it will probably come down to the overall price differences between the two options.

Oh, they will still be doing their own shows for a bit. This is their last festival performance in the UK.

That's true, but my point was that I would have been much more interested in attending the festival were it not for the fact that both the Saturday headliner and subheadliner are also playing their own shows during the same timeframe. From what I can gather, a lot of people are of the opinion that it takes away some of High Voltage's appeal, and I can see where they are coming from. Perhaps it would have been different if they were playing their shows later in the year, but, as it stands, it I think that it may have an adverse effect, even if only a minor one, on High Voltage's ticket sales.

That's true, but my point was that I would have been much more interested in attending the festival were it not for the fact that both the Saturday headliner and subheadliner are also playing their own shows during the same timeframe. From what I can gather, a lot of people are of the opinion that it takes away some of High Voltage's appeal, and I can see where they are coming from. Perhaps it would have been different if they were playing their shows later in the year, but, as it stands, it I think that it may have an adverse effect, even if only a minor one, on High Voltage's ticket sales.

I don't think Queenryche are actually the sub. It's just there's only two bands announced for that stage that day so far.

• 2 weeks later...
Plus first details of the Metal Hammer stage are announced.

The following bands have today been confirmed for Classic Rock’s High Voltage Festival, which takes place at London’s Victoria Park on Saturday, July 23 and Sunday, July 24:

Main Stage

Rival Sons – Saturday

Skin – Saturday

Prog Stage

John Lees’ Barclay James Harvest – Saturday, headliner

Amplifier – Saturday

Von Hertzen Brothers – Saturday

Metal Hammer Stage

Electric Wizard – the day has yet to be confirmed

Grand Magus – Saturday

Attica Rage – first on, Saturday

Neurosis – Sunday, headliner

Black Spiders – Sunday

Furyon – first on, Sunday

The above join headliners Judas Priest and Dream Theater, UK festival exclusives from Black Country Communion, Jethro Tull and Spock’s Beard, and performances from the Michael Schenker Group, Caravan, The Enid, Pallas, Mostly Autumn, Thunder, Queensryche, Neal Morse, Saint Jude, Anathema and Curved Air.

Tickets are priced at £99 (for weekend tickets) and £56.50 (for day tickets) – subject to booking fee. VIP tickets will be available at £105.00 for the day, £199.00 for the weekend – subject to booking fee. There will also be various VIP and hotel packages available, at varying price levels to suit.

High Voltage is also pleased to announce its new deposit scheme. This applies to any weekend ticket (i.e. VIP weekend or standard weekend) and allows customers to spread the cost of the ticket over two payments. General admission and VIP weekend tickets can be purchased with an initial £50 deposit plus booking fee, with the final payment due on June 1. More info can be found at: www.highvoltagefestival.com/tickets/deposit-scheme

Tickets are available from www.highvoltagefestival.com

Ticketmaster (24 hour): 0844 847 1708

HMV tickets: 0844 822 2602 (opening times: 8am-10pm Monday to Friday 9am-9pm weekends)

from: http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/more-bands-added-to-high-voltage-bill/

Planet Rock have also announced the following bands too:

Evile

Ravens Creed

Gentlemans Pistols

Primitai

• 1 month later...

The special guest sub-headliner for the Saturday was announced as Slash (with Miles Kennedy). Nice choice - they were excellent at Download and are a great choice to lead into Priest.

Considering the kinda music people who are going to this off the board listen to, I'm sure these recommendations won't count for much :P

But yeah, see Amplifier, Anathema, Electic Wizard and Neurosis. I've seen Amplifier myself, and the other three are just bound to be awesome.

Considering the kinda music people who are going to this off the board listen to, I'm sure these recommendations won't count for much :P

But yeah, see Amplifier, Anathema, Electic Wizard and Neurosis. I've seen Amplifier myself, and the other three are just bound to be awesome.

I've seen Anathema a few times - they are pretty awesome live. I'll YouTube the others and see what I think, though I have a feeling they'll clash with some acts I want to see on the other stages. Neurosis, for example, I won't be seeing, as I'm watching the main stage headliner on both occasions (though I'll try and grab the very beginning of Tull too).

Sylosis, Triggerfinger, Graveyard and The Treatment added to the Metal Hammer stage.

• 3 weeks later...

And the main stages have been rounded out by the announcement of Michael Monroe (fuck yes!) for the main stage. There's still around 12 acts to be added to the Beer Festival tent (a combination of folk, acoustic, blues and country apparently) :)

In other news, Evile have pulled out.

• 1 month later...

I think High Voltage realised there was a mis-balancing of bands (7 on Satuday, 5 on Sunday) as they have just added Heaven's Basement to the Sunday. A nice little announcement! :)

If I wasn't going to Tuska this year, I would strongly consider this. The main stage can go suck a fuck, but for Jethro Tull, Spock's Beard, Neurosis, Graveyard, Electric Wizard plus the beer festival with blues, acoustic and bluegrass set ups, I'd want to go. Might consider this next year if the line up is as interesting and Tuska doesn't get in the way.

High Voltage have announced the return of the Ace Cafe, London. Apparently its a kind of biker cafe where peeps can get hot food and drink.

I wouldn't have made that much of a fuss over it, or even that they are having bands on inside it.

That is, until they announced THIS :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :

Stage Times:

Saturday 23 July 2011

Main Stage

20:35 – 22:50 Judas Priest

18:55 – 19:55 Slash

17:35 – 18:25 Thin Lizzy

16:20 – 17:05 Queensryche

15:20 – 15:50 Rival Sons

14:25 – 14:55 Skin

13:30 – 14:00 Michael Monroe

Prog Stage