Download Festival: 2011

DFF

With their next big announcement just around the corner, I thought it now time it has it's traditional annual thread.

For those who have missed the discussion so far in the metal thread, here is what we've got so far.

The Village - Boardie Takeover

Thursday

NYA

Bull-Riff Stampede

Aceldama

Stone Circle

Main Stage

Friday

Def Leppard

The Darkness

Alter Bridge

Thin Lizzy

Black Stone Cherry

Duff McKagan's Loaded

Puddle of Mudd

CKY

Saturday

System of a Down

Avenged Sevenfold

Skunk Anansie

Down

Hollywood Undead

Skindred

Escape The Fate

All That Remains

The Devil Wears Prada

Sunday

Linkin Park

Bullet For My Valentine

Disturbed

The Gaslight Anthem

The Pretty Reckless

Bowling For Soup

Madina Lake

Biohazard

Suicide Silence

2nd Stage

Friday

Pendulum

KoRn

Bring Me The Horizon

Children of Bodom

The Damned Things

Young Guns

Anti-Flag

D.R.U.G.S.

Evaline

Saturday

Alice Cooper

Twisted Sister

Cheap Trick

Mr. Big

Dio Disciples

Clutch

Dan Reed

Rock Sugar

The Boss Hoss

Rise to Remain

Chthonic

Sacred Mother Tongue

Sunday

Rob Zombie

The Cult

Black Veil Brides

Buckcherry

Turisas

GWAR

Kvelertak

Karma to Burn

Malefice

Yashin

Collapse

The Pepsi Max Stage

Friday

Danzig

Times of Grace

FM

Hyro Da Hero

Asking Alexandria

Lower Than Atlantis

Japanese Voyeurs

Royal Republic

Betraeus

Sweet Savage

Saturday

Funeral For A Friend

The King Blues

Sevendust

Evile

Trash Talk

Your Demise

Let Live

Versa Emerge

Ghost

Straight Line Stitch

TRC

Houston

The Rods

Sunday

Frank Turner

Plain White T's

Silverstein

Framing Hanley

Deaf Havana

T-34

Starseed

My Darkest Days

Sworn Amongst

Hell

Trucker Diablo

Knocout Kaine

Jameson Raid

Redbull Bedroom Jam Stage

Friday

Modestep

Envy of the State

Oaf

Don Broco

Kellermensch

Saturday

Dangerous!

Kill 21

The Dangerous Summer

Dear Superstar

Heights

Blitz Kids

Welcome Wednesday

The Morning After

Dripback

Fighting Wolves

Sunday

H.E.A.T.

Baptized in Blood

The Dead Lay Waiting

Illuminatus

You And What Army

October File

Belligerence

Skeletal Damage

Jagermeister Acoustic Stage

Friday

Skindred

The Last Republic

The Dirty Youth

Million $ Reload

Obsessive Compulsive

Verses

Saturday

Bowling For Soup

Dan Reed

Sons of Icarus

Royal Republic

Maiden United

Never Means Maybe

Skin

Intraverse

Sunday

Dave McPherson

Red, White & Blues

Hyro Da Hero

The Morning After

Slaves to Gravity

Heaven's Basement

Voodoo Johnson

Raven Vandelle

I am sorry to say it, but Sonisphere have really stolen a march on Download with their line-up this year

Personally, Download is better for me in terms of 'bands I haven't seen that I would like to'. e.g. Avenged Sevenfold, Alice Cooper, Rob Zombie, System of a Down, Thin Lizzy and The Cult. Don't get me wrong, Sonisphere don't have a bad line-up, but for all the stick Download gets about repeat bookings/unoriginal choices, I think Sonisphere's is... less original. Plus, I've seen something like 85%+ of their line-up before :P

I've been waiting for this to get its own thread for fucking ages. How anyone can compare Sonisphere to Download is beyond me. The whole layout of Sonisphere being that one band plays at a time, then you rush over to the other stage for the next, is the single worst idea in the history of mankind. Not to mention the fact that the bands are WAAAY more repetitive than Download's is another argument entirely, and most of their lineup just recycle the big bands that played Download in previous years (i.e. Limp Bizkit this year). I lost my Sonisphere virginity last year, and I can safely say I won't be shelling out for it ever again, even given the fact I only paid £50 for my ticket.

Anyway, the lineup for Download this year is absolutely fucking class. Danzig, Rob Zombie and Mr. Big are all bands that I've wanted to see for ages but haven't had the chance yet. We've seen the likes of Buckcherry, Alter Bridge and KoRn before, but they always put on a fun show. I'm not interested whatsoever in the headliners (and I hope that doesn't change with the next announcement, because I have my heart set on seeing Danzig on the Friday) but that's fine with me because I'm more than happy seeing Danzig, Alice Cooper and Rob Zombie as my headliners.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Sonisphere is shit crack and nobody has any "fun" after the bands have finished, compared to Download which is a fucking nonstop party, and infinitely more important than the music anyway.

Edited by Nerf
  • Like 1

I'm doing both Download and Soni, but I agree Download's line-up is far better across the board at the moment. I'm going to Soni for the experience of the Big 4 playing together and for Slipknot (there are a couple of other bands announced so far that I want to see, but they aren't ticket sellers by themselves). There are just more bands across the board (and across genres) that I want to see at Download; and if nothing else they aren't trying to pretend that Biffy Clyro are a headlining act.

Regards the clashes, I face a couple of clashes at Download already, which is an annoyance; but I'm pretty sure I'd rather be spoilt for choice, rather than be 'forced' to watch a band I have no interest in. I also agree witht he point that based on this year and previous years, Soni do just seem to recycle previous Download line-ups.

It's said Download don't take risks, but all Soni do is give 'risky' bands a very small set on a very small stage, making it almost pointless going to see them anyway; if you're a fan you may as well wait to see them on tour - which won't be a long wait being as most such bands tour the UK often anyway.

Anyway, at the risk of rambling on and on, I'll just say that I'm eally eager for the next Download announcement, with such a large number of bands TBA, the chances of me liking NO-ONE are very minimal indeed.

I'm going to check out Danzig soon, I've just begun to check out the bands I've not listened to before.

EDIT - After playing 'Mother,' 'She Rides,' and 'Am I Demon,' I heartily endorse this event or product. Almost hoping the third headliner is weak... Though, a larger part of me is hoping the faint Van Halen rumours are true!

I am sorry nerf, but how can call a festival that is recycling Linkin Park and System of a Down as headliners, and is then relying on the drawing power of acts such as Alice Cooper, Danzig, Thin Lizzy and Rob Zombie and the while hoping for the possibility of Van Halen being announced as being fresher than another festival?

You are just being pithy and making a piss poor argument while you do it.

• Like 2

Because System have only just reformed and are playing a UK fesival for the first time in six years, IIRC. Linkin Park last played Download in 2007. Rob Zombie hasn't played the UK (PERIOD) in 13 years (maybe 16.... need to check that) and Danzig barely play the UK (to the best of my knowledge). That is NOT recycling. And Van Halen headlining would be fresher, since as they haven't headlined a UK festival since god was a lad.

Whereas at Soni, Metallica are headlining a UK festival for the second time in three years - that's the second time AT Sonisphere no less, Slipknot headlined Download two years ago (I know both are a draw for me but only because I've yet to actually see them), Megadeath were at Download last year, Slayer at Soni, this will be Anthrax's THIRD Sonisphere in a row.... if they hadn't gotten them all together as the Big Four, it'd be a joke for repetition.

Add to that, Airbourne were at Download last year, Limp Bizkit played both festivals two years ago, Volbeat played Download last year, and Motorhead (god bless 'em) play anywhere that'll let them on stage.

So, yeah, Download has the fresher line-up by a country mile. Actually, what cliche can I use for something that's bigger than a country mile? Saying by ten country miles seems a little trite.

Unless, by 'fresher' you're referring to how new/young the bands are, inwhich case I'll point out the big four and Machinehead, and say that'd I'd take acts like Cooper and Van Halen over 90% of such 'fresh' rock acts anyway, but that's a different point.

Like you state I think we have different ideas of fresh. I guess I view Sonishpere as the "fresher" festival as it is newer in terms of only being around a couple of years, and they appear to be going for an "alternative day" with the Biffy Clyro and Weezer day, I guess I appreciate festivals that have different kinds of days rather than being more genre focused, much like Download is, its very "Hard Rock/Metal/Punk(ish)" Where as Sonisphere appears to be trying something different with its additional day.

Like you state I think we have different ideas of fresh. I guess I view Sonishpere as the "fresher" festival as it is newer in terms of only being around a couple of years, and they appear to be going for an "alternative day" with the Biffy Clyro and Weezer day, I guess I appreciate festivals that have different kinds of days rather than being more genre focused, much like Download is, its very "Hard Rock/Metal/Punk(ish)" Where as Sonisphere appears to be trying something different with its additional day.

You named two (Y)

And if you really wanna get technical: Reef, The Hellacopters, The Hives, Hoobastank, Electric Six, yourcodenameis:milo, Flogging Molly, MC5, The Stooges, Henry Rollins, Towers of London, Reuben, Wolfmother, Hayseed Dixie, Necro, Lostprophets, One Night Only, Pendulum, Prodigy, Ash, Lethal Bizzle, Hollywood Undead, Chris Cornell, Them Crooked Vultures. I can't be arsed going on, but they're just the bands whose work I'm familiar with and know they aren't the typical "rock" band. That's not including "punk rock" bands like Less Than Jake, Pennywise, NOFX, Reel Big Fish etc. that aren't any more "metal" than Weezer. I didn't include bands like Taking Back Sunday because it can be argued that they kind of fit the bill, but the playing field still isn't as even as you seem to think it is. Not to mention the fact that Biffy Clyro have played Download a million times before, and the festival have always booked bands such as Paramore and Enter Shikari YEARS before they hit it big. But no, it's not a fresh festival. Sonisphere is, and so are Iron Maiden and Metallica.

Because Maiden and Metallica haven't played Download? And bands like Taking Back Sunday, etc... haven't played Sonisphere before or are likely to in the near future if they are still together? Or most of those bands can be lump in to Rock/punk genre? or you know play rock songs in a slightly different style? :huh:

Eh, you're boring, I am done with this, you are are pointless as the points you make.

Because Maiden and Metallica haven't played Download? And bands like Taking Back Sunday, etc... haven't played Sonisphere before or are likely to in the near future if they are still together? Or most of those bands can be lump in to Rock/punk genre? or you know play rock songs in a slightly different style? :huh:

Eh, you're boring, I am done with this, you are are pointless as the points you make.

Yeah, because Weezer and Biffy Clyro definitely can't be lumped into the "rock" category AT ALL.

I honestly couldn't give a shit if you care for Download or not, but your point was that Download isn't as "fresh" as Sonisphere. My "pointless" point just proved you wrong. No doubt you'll have some sarcastic remark to reply to this with, but if you really are "done with this," then some advice for the future: stop trying to be such a keyboard warrior, you look like a cock.