My Favourite 100 Songs Ever

METALMAN

I am not doing these in any order, because it was hard enough narrowing this down to 100. Neither are there any limits on songs for bands or artists. Cause I'm lazy like that.

Here goes:

The Evasions - Wikka Wrap (1981)

This is a bit of a novelty song I believe. It's really funny and throughout the course of the tune it seems to cycle through the complete Nile Rodgers playbook. Which is a good thing.

Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone (1965)

I'm fully aware this one has been done to death, but deservedly so! From the opening snare drum that goes ...BANG! to the organ that goes BLAR BLAR BLAR, it's a beautifully constructed song. Incredible. Seeing an old decrepit Bobby Dylan doing this a couple of years back was amazing as well.

The Rolling Stones - She's A Rainbow (1967)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this slightly crude psychedelic pop pastiche was the closest the whole scene came to perfection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkYp03K6C0k

Orange Juice - Blue Boy (1980)

Scottish post-punk-pop! We're the best at this sort of thing you know! And oh my God the scratchy guitar solo! This is just a really exciting and tuneful song. Orange Juice had a fair number of great songs but I reckon this one tops them all.

Adam Green - Down On The Street (2005)

A short and sweet tune. I just really like this, partially for personal reasons (that I will not go into!). But it's a really good song from a really good album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ0Yvvw8SUw

M.I.A. - 20 Dollar (2007)

This one seemingly samples Where Is My Mind, my favourite Pixies song which almost featured on this list. I know both songs pretty well, but try as I might, I can't detect the sample!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKlAIhuXRLE

Frank Zappa - Peaches En Regalia (1970)

Perhaps Frank Zappa's most celebrated song, and rightfully so. One of the best instrumental pieces you will ever hear.

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young - Woodstock (1970)

This vital, exciting cover is a quite a contrast to Joni Mitchell's drab, insipid original.

Belle & Sebastian - The State I Am In (1996)

I vastly prefer the rough charm of the EP version, but I can't find it on youtube, so we'll have to make do with this.

Leonard Cohen - The Partisan (1969)

Brilliantly haunting. Easily my favourite recording of this song.

David Sylvian - Forbidden Colours (1984)

A reworked version of the original song from Ryuichi Sakamoto's brilliant soundtrack for Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence. This is quite unique.

Frightened Rabbit - I Feel Better (2008)

More Scottish people! This is far more than your usual indie rock tune. It's both endearing and euphoric. Would have posted the version from their live album, but the studio recording is almost as good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LUZrIHEo6M

The Beatles - All My Loving (1963)

This isn't the Beatles at their most successful or groundbreaking, but none of that is neccessary for creating a perfect pop tune. I particularly enjoy this version from the Ed Sullivan show, with Ringo singing along as he drums and George Harrison doing the backing vocals.

Elliott Smith - In The Lost and Found (2000)

This is Elliott Smith at his most tuneful. Some of the counter-melodies are quite sublime, and the walking bass in the second verse sounds strung out between 1950s modal jazz and 17th century fugato. To me, at least.

• 3 weeks later...

The Beatles - I'm Only Sleeping (1966)

I'm Only Sleeping is the first Beatles song I properly loved. It's very relaxed and chilled and it just gives off a nice aura, yanowotimean? Like, it's perhaps the only lovable song on what is without a doubt the HJH's least personable album. Georgie boy's reverse tracked guitar is absolutely divine. One of the best moments in music.

John Martyn - Over The Hill (1973)

Alcoholic, wife-beating troubadour John Martyn could write a tender love song like no other. Over the Hill isn't a love song as such but it is lovely enough to be one. It's pretty much your straightforward acoustic ditty, but it's also so much more than your straightforward acoustic ditty.

Yuck - Get Away (2011)

And channeling the spirit of Dinosaur Jr, Pavement, et cetera (especially et cetera. I love those guys), are Londoners Yuck. This lot manage to sound just as loutish and lazy as Stephen Malkmus with a head injury. Song of 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THhw9jHc5Zs

The Smiths - I Know It's Over (1986)

Those of an American bent may be more familiar the version of this song that Jeff Buckley took a big self-righteous shit over. But fear not! It ruins the original not a jot! I Know It's Over nears perfection both musically and lyrically, with Johnny Marr's melancholy guitar stylings providing the perfect backdrop to lyrical heights that Morrissey would never scale again. Here, we find Steven having as little sympathy for himself, or the listener, as he does for the traumatised people of Norway.

If you're so funny

Then why are you on your own tonight?

And if you're so clever

If you're so very entertaining

If you're so very good-looking

Why do you sleep alone tonight?

I would imagine a lot of you might be able to identify with this. I can't, but I can see what he is getting at. <_<

Gregorio Allegri - Miserere (1620s)

Perhaps a bit of an oddball selection - I don't really have many other non-pop pieces featured in this list, but there was no way I could really leave this out. As a general rule, I'm not a huge fan of choral music (with the exception of Jan Garbarek and the Hilliard Ensemble, who sound celestial), but Miserere really is special. It is uniquely captivating - haunting and beautiful. Miserere is Psalm 51, set to music by Gregorio Allegri (easily my favourite Renaissance composer) at the request of the Pope. It was jealously guarded by the Sistine Chapel - the Vatican banned distribution of the sheet music for it. Legend has it that a fourteen year old Mozart heard it when he was visiting Rome, and wrote it down from memory. Eventually it ended up in London after he gave it to an Englishman he crossed paths with on his travels. From there, it was distributed to the rest of Europe, and the Vatican had no choice but to lift the ban. Pretty incredible, eh?

And from that, we go to perhaps the most boneheaded piece of music imaginable:

Louie Louie - The Kingsmen (1963)

It's irresistible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N993bCSBpik

John Cooper Clarke - It Man (1980)

A post-punk classic. I really like John Cooper Clarke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVHggkAk1VM&feature=fvst

Eddie Cochran - C'mon Everybody

My favourite fifties rock 'n' roll song. It's so full of life and still sounds fresh today.

Iron Maiden - The Evil That Men Do (1988)

I don't know a great deal about Iron Maiden (I've only got a best of album) but I'd probably venture that this song has all the Iron Maiden idiosyncrasies - dual guitar, 16 to the bar bass, and so on. Plus it's super cheesy. Wonderful.

Parliament - Come In Out Of The Rain (1970)

An anthem. Such a brilliant singalong tune. Nice and funky too, but that's to be expected!