FIFA and Pro Evo, the debate.

Summers

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which will you be buying?

I haven't enjoyed a football game since PES 2005. I didn't get my PS3 until 2009, and comparing PES 2010 to FIFA 2010 it was a wash, I don't know what had happened but PES just wasn't fun any more, and FIFA has improved in certain areas while also maintaining some of the game aspects that made me hate it in the first place. I skipped both '11 games because I had no faith in them any more.

Having played PES '12 demo, it still doesn't feel fun, so I probably won't be getting that. FIFA '12, while I haven't played the demo yet, has Ultimate Team which I am interested in trying, so I'm probably going to end up getting it, even if I trade it in after a couple of weeks.

Edited by WalkerWGZ

I'm getting FIFA. Mainly because I got a good pre-order deal (35quid with three pais of DKNY boxers chucked in). I like Ultimate Team. I skipped '11 but enjoyed '10 a lot. As most have said PES just hasn't felt right this gen. The demo should have finished downloading last night so I will take it for a spin. It's just a pain in the arse finding decent mods for it as well.

I really wish one of the developers would make it so you have the world cup and friendlies and qualifiers happening during the season and the world cup every four years (in the manager mode). I don't think it would stop anyone buying the four yearly world cup game (and if it does live with it). Nor do I think it would stop people from buying the next year's version of the game.

Not sure yet. FIFA looks slick in terms of presentation; but the passing is horrible and matches play like they're being played ontop of two inches of treacle. It's also far too easy to score the same types of goal over and over and over again; but the tackling system is much better.

Pro should be far better overall but has some big annoyances that hold it back, the chief one being the rubberband AI.

On the whole it's going to be Pro Evo, whether it be continuing with last years or buying this years. FIFA would have more of a chance if it were cheap; but it looks like it's never gonna be cheap until next years game is about to come out.

Edited by Yoshihiro timmayyama

Buying both.

As for the debate - a lot of us can agree that PES was ''the'' football game on PS2, but since the next-gen releases, it's been all about FIFA, at least up until last year.

I found that playing FIFA online or alone against the AI was better, as you had more control over your players as far as sending them on a run goes - whereas with PES, it felt clunky, and their only player run option was if you held the L1/LB button down as you passed the ball. There just wasn't enough freedom, especially when players would have acres of space to run into, but just stand there like a bunch of idiots.

Co-op, on the other hand, is a different story altogether. PES is by far superior when it comes to playing on the same team as a mate, because you have more control over everything. PES has always had the it factor concerning goals, in that every one looks different in some way. On FIFA, you can get by playing the same way, scoring the same goals time and time again. I'm hopeful that it's changed for 12 though, because with defenders now sitting deeper and not so eager to put pressure on you in midfield the second you receive the ball, it could lead to the AI being difficult to break down on the higher levels, making the user think a bit before every attack.

So yeah, buying FIFA and, I hope, getting PES sent to me as usual. I'm looking forward to enjoying both games this year, as each of them carry their own positives and negatives.

I have a habit of switching around for the sake of it. Last year I got Pro Evo and after trying both the demos I've decided I'm just going to stick* with this for another year, maybe update a few teams with transfers etc,

I don't know, but I'm starting to get sick of total simulation 24/7 and Pro Evo added a touch of fun last year with all the customisable options. Plus there's always the bazillion legends that you can add to the game and I don't think I'll tire of playing a Master League where Bolton can pick up Rivaldo on a free.

*By sticking I mean I'm not going to buy any of them. The new Pro Evo demo seemed 'off' as did the FIFA demo. They seem like downgrades compared to the previous versions and I think we're really starting to see the limitations of this generations consoles. It doesn't matter how many hundreds of leagues you have in each game if almost every player that doesn't play for a licensed team has a default hairstyle.

I played one game with each to see how things are this year, and here's my brief thoughts:

Fifa - Almost horrible. Passing is crap, and the whole game feels like you're playing in soup.

Pro Evo - Better. Passing is better, and the flow/feel of the game is more realistic. My own main concern is how poor the Goalies were on 'Professional'. Almost any on target attack the comp had against me from inside the penalty spot area went in. :-\ Still, it works both ways I guess.

If I get either, it'll be pro evo.