Formula One 2012

Lineker

• Admin
1336924771.jpg

The Circuit de Catalunya pitlane had to be evacuated following the Spanish Grand Prix after a big fire broke out in the Williams garage.

The fire is initially believed to have been caused by an explosion in the area behind where the cars are worked on.

The pitlane was evacuated and firefighters and ambulances arrived at the scene. It is currently unclear whether there are any injuries.

Williams was still celebrating its first victory since the 2004 season, achieved by Pastor Maldonado moments earlier.

Force India's Otmar Szafnauer told Sky that one of his team's mechanics had been taken to the medical centre for smoking inhalation.

Williams said one of its mechanics was also in the medical centre, but was unsure about the injuries if any.

1336927292.jpg

A number of Formula 1 personnel are being treated by medical staff at the Circuit de Catalunya for burns and smoke inhalation following a major fire in the Williams garage after the Spanish Grand Prix.

Shortly after a team photo was taken to celebrate Pastor Maldonado's victory, around 90 minutes after the end of the race, it is believed that fuel exploded while it was being prepared for transportation as part of the post-race procedure.

The explosion filled the garage with black smoke, which poured into the pits and paddock, and personnel from a number of teams as well as track officials moved quickly to put the blaze out.

A number of team members were caught up in the incident, with those suffering from burns and smoke inhalation being taken to the medical centre.

While there has been no official confirmation of the number of F1 personnel involved in the incident or the extent of their injuries, Williams, Force India and Caterham have confirmed that their staff members are being treated.

Williams has said that four of its crew are being looked at in the medical centre, although the extent of the injuries is unknown.

Force India has confirmed that one of its team members was being treated for smoke inhalation, while Caterham has issued a statement confirming that four of its crew are being attended to too.

"Caterham F1 Team was involved in a fire that started in the Williams F1 Team's garage after the end of the Spanish Grand Prix," it said in a statement.

"All the team's employees have been accounted for and four people have been taken to the circuit medical centre for examination; one with a minor hand injury and three with respiratory issues.

"A further statement will be issued when more details about the incident are confirmed."

1336939427.jpg

The Williams team is working with the fire services and the police to determine the root cause of the fire that broke out after the Spanish Grand Prix.

Williams said the fire, which erupted some 90 minutes after the team had won its first race since 2004, had originated from the fuel area.

The Grove squad confirmed four members of the team were injured in the incident. One has already been released while the other three are now receiving treatment at local hospitals.

"The Williams F1 Team would like to thank all of the teams and the FIA for their support in today's incident," said the team in a statement.

It is so far confirmed only nine members were from F1 teams but other team personnel were understood to be involved.

Caterham said four of its members had been taken to the medical centre for examination, while another Force India mechanic had also suffered from smoke inhalation and was under observation.

Formula 1's ruling body, the FIA, said a total of 31 people were seen by medical staff from the circuit. Seven had been transferred to local hospitals.

"The FIA is collaborating closely with the Spanish authorities investigating this incident and will be providing a further update as soon as more information becomes available," said the FIA.

Truly dreadful scenes. It's a miracle that nobody was more severely hurt. The Sky F1 footage of the fire erupting into life during Ted Kravitz' interview with Alex Wurz is just astonishing. A real shame it's taken the shine off of such a wonderful 70th birthday weekend for Sir Frank Williams, Pastor Maldonado, and his whole team. The ensueing inquest should be interesting, for sure.

• Admin
Pastor Maldonado scored his maiden Formula 1 win and ended a Williams victory drought dating back to the end of the 2004 season as the Venezuelan defeated local hero Fernando Alonso's Ferrari in an absorbing Spanish Grand Prix at Barcelona's Catalunya track.

The Williams and Ferrari were absolutely together going into the final laps, but the superbly composed Maldonado was able to edge away and secure victory, leaving Alonso to fend off Kimi Raikkonen's flying Lotus for second.

Alonso had taken the lead at the start by beating Maldonado into the first corner, and then inched into a three-second lead during the first stint, as they pulled clear of the rest of the field.

But the combination of a stunning out-lap by Maldonado and Alonso getting stuck behind Charles Pic's Marussia on his in-lap saw the Williams leapfrog the Ferrari at the second pitstops, and then storm away for a few laps until 7s clear.

Alonso then started coming back at Maldonado, getting the gap down to 4.2s before the Williams had a slightly slow final pitstop with a left-rear issue. A few laps behind Raikkonen, who was running much further before his final pitstop, meant the leaders were absolutely nose to tail going into the closing laps as both tried to keep their tyres intact.

For a while it looked inevitable that Maldonado would succumb to Alonso's pressure, but it was the Ferrari that started to lose pace in the final stages, and the lead gap began to increase again - allowing Maldonado to take a very unexpected victory by 3.1 seconds.

Raikkonen's fresher tyres allowed him to gain on the leaders at a ferocious rate as the race neared its end, but he ran out of time to catch Alonso, finishing six tenths of a second adrift.

Romain Grosjean finished fourth in the other Lotus, with Kamui Kobayashi pulling off some characteristically bold passes on the way to fifth for Sauber.

Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel produced a late charge to take sixth after losing ground with a drive-through penalty for failing to heed yellow flags and requiring a new front wing at his final pitstop.

Nico Rosberg's Mercedes and both McLarens fell victim to Vettel's surge up the order, with Rosberg then fending off last-place starter Lewis Hamilton for seventh as the Briton managed to make a two-stop strategy work against expectations. His team-mate Jenson Button struggled for pace all day and finished ninth.

Force India's Nico Hulkenberg resisted huge pressure from Mark Webber, who lost ground on lap one and needed an out-of-sequence pitstop for a new front wing.

Behind the Toro Rossos and the second Force India of Paul di Resta, Felipe Massa had another bad race for Ferrari. Penalised for a yellow flag infringement, he finished only 15th.

Retirements included Michael Schumacher and Bruno Senna, who tangled at Turn 1 when the fresh-tyre-shod Mercedes ran into the back of the yet-to-pit Williams, and Sergio Perez. The Sauber picked up a puncture while trying to attack the Lotus pair at the first corner, and later parked just after a messy pitstop.

PROVISIONAL RACE RESULTS

The Spanish Grand Prix
Catalunya, Spain;
66 laps; 307.104km;
Weather: Sunny.

Classified:

Pos Driver Team Time
1. Maldonado Williams-Renault 1h39:09.145
2. Alonso Ferrari + 3.195
3. Raikkonen Lotus-Renault + 3.884
4. Grosjean Lotus-Renault + 14.799
5. Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari + 1:14.641
6. Vettel Red Bull-Renault + 1:17.576
7. Rosberg Mercedes + 1:27.919
8. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes + 1:28.100
9. Button McLaren-Mercedes + 1:25.200
10. Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes + 1 lap
11. Webber Red Bull-Renault + 1 lap
12. Vergne Toro Rosso-Ferrari + 1 lap
13. Ricciardo Toro Rosso-Ferrari + 1 lap
14. Di Resta Force India-Mercedes + 1 lap
15. Massa Ferrari + 1 lap
16. Kovalainen Caterham-Renault + 1 lap
17. Petrov Caterham-Renault + 1 lap
18. Glock Marussia-Cosworth + 2 laps
19. De la Rosa HRT-Cosworth + 3 laps

Fastest lap: Grosjean, 1:26.250

Not classified/retirements:

Driver Team On lap
Perez Sauber-Ferrari 38
Pic Marussia-Cosworth 36
Karthikeyan HRT-Cosworth 23
Senna Williams-Renault 13
Schumacher Mercedes 13

World Championship standings, round 5:

Drivers: Constructors:
1. Vettel 61 1. Red Bull-Renault 109
2. Alonso 61 2. McLaren-Mercedes 98
3. Hamilton 53 3. Lotus-Renault 84
4. Raikkonen 49 4. Ferrari 63
5. Webber 48 5. Mercedes 43
6. Button 45 6. Williams-Renault 43
7. Rosberg 41 7. Sauber-Ferrari 41
8. Grosjean 35 8. Force India-Mercedes 18
9. Maldonado 29 9. Toro Rosso-Ferrari 6
10. Perez 22
11. Kobayashi 19
12. Di Resta 15
13. Senna 14
14. Vergne 4
15. Hulkenberg 3
16. Schumacher 2
17. Massa 2
18. Ricciardo 2

All timing unofficial[/code]

Spanish Grand Prix winner Pastor Maldonado said he always felt like he had the race under control even as Fernando Alonso closed in after the final pitstops.

Maldonado gave Williams its first Formula 1 victory since the 2004 Brazilian GP as he resisted pressure from Ferrari driver Alonso at various stages to win at Catalunya.

"It was so close. We were looking to manage the tyre degradation so I couldn't push that hard, just to keep the tyres alive for the end of the race and Fernando got very close," said Maldonado.

"There were some moments where he was so close especially at end of the straight, but I was managing the gap and controlling everything.

"Our pace today was very strong, the car was fantastic, so was the team. We did a small mistake at the last pitstop but it did not affect our performance."

Maldonado said the car underlined how much progress had made since last season, when it endured its worst ever campaign and scored a mere five points.

"I think it's a wonderful day, unbelievable for me and all the team," he said. "We have been pushing so hard since last year to improve race by race and here we are.

"It was a tough race because of the strategy as well, it was hard especially because of rear tyres, after a couple of laps we were struggling with them, but I need to say I am pretty happy because car was so competitive since the first lap."

The Venezuelan has been strong in Monte Carlo - venue for the next grand prix in a fortnight - throughout his career, and acknowledged that expectations for the next race would now be high.

"It will be a great opportunity for us to be strong again," said Maldonado. "We need to keep continuing like that to develop it as soon as possible. Consistency will be the most important thing in this championship."

Michael Schumacher reckons Bruno Senna's defensive driving caused their collision early in the Spanish Grand Prix.

Both drivers had to retire as a result of the incident, in which Schumacher's Mercedes ran into the back of Senna's Williams at Turn 1. Senna had not yet made his first pitstop, while Schumacher was on fresh tyres.

"I just took a minute to watch the video and if you look at the overhead shot you can see that he moves right to defend his inside position, but in the braking phase he moves back left right in front of me," said Schumacher.

"Then I tried to avoid to the inside again, but too late. Then it's done because that's in the braking phase. Very frustrating. Very much annoyed about that.

"We've had already a strange manoeuvre from him in Brazil last year and a lap before he had a get together with [Romain] Grosjean, I don't know what exactly happened there.

"I hope they [the stewards] understand the video pictures good enough to clarify that."

But Senna was adamant that he had done nothing wrong and that Schumacher only had himself to blame.

"Of course he's not going to say it's his own fault, but at the end of the day he had much newer tyres than me, I was on very old rubber by then, so I guess our braking points were uneven for Turn 1," said Senna.

"I'd already seen Grosjean braking very late and hitting me into Turn 1, and I didn't want Michael to do the same.

"When I went to brake, he probably just tried to cross and he hit me, so what can you do?"

[i][b]Michael Schumacher will lose five places on the starting grid for the Monaco Grand Prix following his crash with Bruno Senna in Spain.[/b][/i]

The Mercedes driver crashed into the back of the Williams when fighting for position at the end of the straight on lap 13, with both drivers retiring.

The stewards deemed the seven-time champion was to blame for having caused the collision and he will be dropped five places on the starting grid at Monaco.

Schumacher believed the accident had been Senna's fault.

"I just took a minute to watch the video and if you look at the overhead shot you can see that he moves right to defend his inside position, but in the braking phase he moves back left right in front of me," said Schumacher.

"Then I tried to avoid to the inside again, but too late. Then it's done because that's in the braking phase. Very frustrating. Very much annoyed about that."

Fernando Alonso believes Charles Pic could potentially have cost him a shot at victory in Sunday's Spanish Grand Prix after ignoring blue flags during the race.

The Marussia driver was given a penalty for having not let Alonso through quickly enough, the Spaniard losing valuable time in his fight for the lead with Pastor Maldonado.

Alonso finished the race three seconds behind the Williams driver and admitted he was unimpressed with Pic. Although he acknowledged that Maldonado and Williams were ultimately faster, he hoped Pic's penalty would act as a warning to backmarkers.

"We were a little bit unlucky," said Alonso. "We had a Marussia that got a penalty, which is obviously not a solution now, but hopefully people will start to understand that they need to respect the rules and today they didn't and they got a penalty, but maybe not enough for the penalty which could have cost us a victory."

The Ferrari driver, whose team had big hopes of taking a step forward in Spain thanks to the upgrades introduced, admitted he was surprised to be so strong all weekend.

Alonso now shares the championship lead with Sebastian Vettel, and believes that he has flattered his car so far.

"Definitely we are a little bit surprised by the quantity of the points we have and surprised by the weekend result," Alonso said. "We were confident to improve the car, we were hoping for some signs of improvement here in Barcelona and in Bahrain we were out of Q3 and in race, P9 one minute behind the leaders.

"So we arrived here with optimism about the upgrades but the overall weekend pace has been better than expected because we were quick in qualifying and quick in the race.

"But this, how I feel after the weekend, I still don't know where we are. We need to wait for more races for the championship to stabilise a bit. I think we overperform for the car we have and maybe other cars underperform a little. It is very strange, as we saw this weekend."

Despite the strong showing, the two-time champion is refusing to believe Ferrari has a car capable of winning everywhere yet.

"We'll see," he said when asked if Ferrari had turned the corner. "When we are first and second in one qualifying and first and second in the championship then we will have the best car. Consistency and ability to develop is important because two tenths can be six or seven positions.

"But what we can say is we had the most difficult start to the championship with a car that was not competitive at all, and after one quarter of the championship we are leading with Vettel, so we have to be proud of our position. Maybe not so proud of the competitive package we have but we are working on that."

Charles Pic is confident that there is a lot more to come from him this season despite an impressive start to his rookie Formula 1 campaign.

The Frenchman outqualified Marussia team-mate Timo Glock for the second race in a row in Spain. He has also shown strong race pace, impressing the team with his speed on high fuel-loads in particular, despite having no significant experience of the 2012 Marussia before the season-opening Australian Grand Prix.

"It's only my fifth race so I still have many things to learn," Pic told AUTOSPORT. "But even though I feel better and better with each race, I still have many areas to work on and improve on.

"I think that we can be better in qualifying. Our race pace has been good, especially in Bahrain, so we will have to see how we will be [in Spain]."

Despite the fact that Marussia's lack of competitiveness means that his performances largely go unnoticed, Pic is confident that the team has recognised his progress.

The Frenchman has won races in every category he has competed regularly in prior to F1 but despite being used to victories in GP2, Formula Renault 3.5, Formula Renault and Formula Campus he is not struggling to adapt to live at the back of the grid.

"You try to optimise the car you have and give your best," said Pic. "This is no different to other categories in that regard.

"The difference is that there is a much bigger gap between the cars in Formula 1 so even if on some weekends you are doing a very good job, it maybe isn't shown by the result. But the team can see it, which is the most important thing for me.

"I know that my engineer is pretty happy and team is happy, even though I still need to improve. But overall what I've done in the first races is positive."

Kimi Raikkonen is confident that he will break through for a grand prix win for Lotus in 2012, after finishing on the podium at the last two races.

After following Sebastian Vettel home in Bahrain, Raikkonen was amongst the frontrunners again in Spain, eventually finishing third behind Pastor Maldonado and Fernando Alonso.

While he was slightly disappointed with the result, the 2007 world champion said that he is now confident that the car is capable of winning races this year.

"I am a bit disappointed because if we had done everything right in the first part of the race, we could have put ourselves in first place," he said.

"There is no issue with the speed of the car, but it is so close between all the teams that if you have a small problem or a small issue it can cost you a lost. Our car can do it, but everything has to fall in the right place to be able to win.

"If you get the chance you should take it. Hopefully we can keep doing what we are doing now. We will see when we can win but so far it is a good step and the car feels strong everywhere."

Raikkonen added that if the Spanish Grand Prix had been 10 laps longer, he would have been capable of fighting Maldonado for the win.

"I had a very good start and had chance to overtake on the outside, but we did not have enough speed and I hit the limiter in fifth position," he said.

"The first stint was okay, but I didn't have the speed to stay with [the leaders]. It was a bit disappointing. We changed the tyres and it seemed to be pretty good, but we were too far away. We needed 10 more laps and we could have fought for the win."

Mercedes believes a problem with Nico Rosberg's car caused his severe tyre management issues during the Spanish Grand Prix.

The German fell from fifth to seventh late on as his tyres wilted and Kamui Kobayashi's Sauber and Sebastian Vettel's Red Bull overtaken him, with McLaren driver Lewis Hamilton doing likewise.

Mercedes technical chief Bob Bell, who was heading the team this weekend in the absence of the unwell Ross Brawn, said a potential technical problem cost Rosberg downforce and made it even harder for him to look after the Pirellis.

"We didn't have the basic pace we needed this afternoon, and we were hampered further with an issue on Nico's car," Bell said.

"There was a clear loss of downforce measurable on the data, which made it even more difficult for Nico to look after the tyres properly, but whether this was down to damage or another factor is something we will have to investigate this evening."

Rosberg admitted that he had been baffled by his tyre situation during the race - while also praising his long-time employer Williams for its return to the top step of the podium with Pastor Maldonado.

"I had no more rubber left on the tyres and I could just see people going by," said Rosberg. "Fifth place would have been an OK result. It's not that good.

"It's been a strange whole weekend. Fantastic for Williams and for Frank and for Maldonado. All well deserved and it's great. For us, just strange. Tyre management is an issue and the way our car handles the tyres."

Although Rosberg's team-mate Michael Schumacher has been highly critical of the 2012 Pirellis and the style of racing they demand, Rosberg said he had no complaints and was simply confused about how to get the best out of the tyres.

"I'm enjoying it but scratching my head at the same time. It's very strange," he said.

Jenson Button says his problems with the McLaren will not be solved overnight after finishing ninth at Barcelona.

Button started in tenth position, but finished behind Lewis Hamilton, who started from the back of the grid after being penalised for not having enough fuel during his final qualifying run.

The Englishman was unable to match the speed of his team-mate and has complained of a lack of balance and ultimate pace throughout the weekend.

"The last few races the pace has been very good in the race but I really struggled with the car itself. It is not just one end, I felt that I just had very low grip," he said.

"I am normally good at looking after tyres and having a good consistency, it is something I always work on but I can't do that at the moment and I don't know why. I am really struggling with the car at the moment. It is not an overnight fix."

Button was initially confident that he could get a good result in Spain after working on his long run pace, but was unable to get the McLaren to work in traffic.

"It is surprising with long run pace because that is something I always work very hard on so we need to look at the consistency for next race and try and work out why I can't work with these tyres," he said.

"I thought we were on for a better result than that. I am alright in clear air but then as soon as I am in traffic I can't keep any heat in the tyres. I don't know why that is, I turn the steering wheel like everyone else does but it doesn't seem like that at the moment."

Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel were confused as to why they needed to have their front wings replaced during the Spanish Grand Prix.

Both Red Bull Racing drivers had their races compromised by front wing changes, despite their being no visible sign of damage on either occasion.

The mysterious problem was particularly costly for Webber, with the Australian eventually finishing outside the points in 11th.

Vettel was still able to finish sixth and retain his lead in the championship, albeit now shared with Fernando Alonso.

"I don't know [what the problem was], to be honest," said Vettel. "I didn't think I had any damage on the nose.

"I came on the radio and said it felt like damage or something stuck. We know that there is a lot of rubber on the track and it's likely that maybe a big piece of rubber gets stuck and then it ruins the aerodynamics.

"I wasn't sure and I tried another lap, but it wasn't the right thing to do so we decided to come in and change the nose just to make sure. That cost us quite some time but ultimately it was the right thing because I was told that something on the front left of the wing was actually broken. I don't know why. I didn't hit anybody or anything."

Webber, meanwhile, blamed the delay for leaving him stuck in traffic and unable to fight for a point-paying position.

"I don't know where I got damage on my front wing but I had to pit for a new nose," Webber added.

"I lost a lot of time with that obviously, not only that lap but the two or three before when it started playing up.

"Then when you're out of position round here, you have to do the longest range stop possible and look after your tyres, and then when you catch people, the tyres just get killed. It's chicken and egg. If you push past them, you've got to pit earlier and commit to another stop.

"I was out of position because of whatever happened with the nose. I was stuck behind the Force India and you could see the McLarens doing nothing, Seb was just chipping away doing nothing special. It's amazing. The tables have turned."

Felipe Massa is confident that he would have finished in the top 10 at Barcelona had it not been for what he believes was an unnecessary drive-through penalty.

The Ferrari driver was forced to take an unscheduled tour through the pitlane on lap 28, a penalty for ignoring yellow flags.

The delay meant that 15th place was the best he could manage, with Massa later admitting that he was unsure why he was penalised.

"Honestly, I don't think I did anything wrong and I believe it is better to look into the detail of what happened, because I was in the middle of a group of cars and I definitely did not try to overtake anyone," said the Brazilian.

"It's a real shame, because up until then, the race was going well for me and a place in the top 10 was comfortably within my reach. I was in the group with the Red Bulls and the McLarens and I could match their pace."

With his team-mate Fernando Alonso finishing second, Massa is confident that Ferrari is now getting to grips with its 2012 challenger.

"I am happy that Fernando was able to fight for the win all the way to the end, as it shows our car's potential has definitely improved. We still don't have the quickest car, but it seems we are going down the right road."

Lewis Hamilton believes that he has proved his doubters wrong after making only two stops during the race at Barcelona.

Hamilton started at the back of the field after being penalised for running short of fuel at the end of qualifying and was forced to try a different strategy than the rest of the drivers, eventually climbing to eighth, one place ahead of team-mate Jenson Button.

Despite his reputation for aggressive driving, the 27-year-old was able to conserve his tyres far better than Button, who is normally associated with exceptional tyre management.

"People are always saying how aggressive my driving style is so hopefully this will prove a few people wrong that I can nurse my tyres," he said.

"It is very easy just to go 100 per cent and ruin your tyres and kill you race by making silly mistakes so today was about being controlled, calm and collected.

"I was the only one to do a two stopper, despite everyone always telling me how aggressive my driving style is and how much better my team-mate is on tyres than me. I think today is a good demonstration that they are perhaps wrong."

The British driver was pleased with how competitive the McLaren has been and says that the team can bounce back from a difficult weekend with a strong result in Monaco.

"I think our car will continue to be competitive. Our team has done a great job improving our car and things will come together for us and when they do we will get the results we deserve," he said.

"Monaco is a track that I love and I hope that we will have a much better weekend there and it is now my home circuit. The team needs a little bit of a boost, they have been working very hard and they deserve better."

Post-race press conference:

[spoiler]TV UNILATERAL

Q. Pastor, your first victory, brilliantly judged - describe your emotions?

Pastor MALDONADO: I think it's a wonderful day, not just for me but for all the team. We have been pushing so hard since last year to try to improve race by race and here we are. Yesterday we were here after a great qualifying and today we did it again. It was a tough race because the strategy as well, it was tough especially because of the rear tyres – after a couple of laps we were struggling with [them]. I need to say I'm pretty happy because the car was so competitive since the first lap. Fernando did a better start than me but I was just following the pace and it was so great. It's my first podium and my first victory and you can imagine what I feel.

Q. Fernando, second today and obviously a lot of progress for you and the team. And once again a blinding start.

Fernando ALONSO: Yeah, it was a fantastic start again. The team prepared quite nice again the clutch and everything – the procedure to do a good start. It was close on the straight until Turn One with Pastor, and then we had the better side, the inside. We took the momentum there and we led the race for the first part but then William's anticipated the stop and get in front and at the end it was close. We had a newer tyre than Pastor and we tried a couple of times but it was not possible out of the last corner. Then in the very last laps I felt the car was strange, we lost a lot of grip. Maybe we lost some aerodynamic part or something because we were very slow... (inaudible) …we were lucky at the end. Second place at home feels fantastic and thanks to the people that came here and the people at home and hopefully a step forward in terms of championship possibilities.

Q. Kimi, third today. You were a lot of people's favourite going into this grand prix. Do you think you and the team made all the right choices this afternoon?

Kimi RAIKKONEN: We have to look. I'm a bit disappointed. I expected us to be a bit stronger in the race, especially at the beginning. At the end we were very good, but it was too late. We were not fast enough and quick enough to race and that's why we couldn't fight for a win. But we showed in the end that we have to speed but we just have to look at what we did. Maybe we took the wrong choice in the first pit stop. In the end, like I said we were not fast enough in the beginning and that cost us the race, so I was not so disappointed during the race because I saw that I couldn't follow them at the beginning. But at the end when you catch them up almost 20 seconds then you get a bit of a disappointed feeling afterwards, when you just needed a few laps to be even able to fight for the first place. That's racing and at least I scored some good points and we're going in the right direction.

Q. Back to you Pastor and this is the first Williams win since 2004. They managed to get you to jump Fernando at the second round of pit stops but he gave you some real pressure at the end didn't he?

PM: Yeah, it was so close. We were looking to manage the tyre degradation so I wasn't pushing that hard, just to keep the tyres alive for the end of the race and Fernando got too close. There were some moments that he was so close, especially at the end of the straight. But I was managing the gap and controlling everything. I think our pace today was pretty strong and the car looks fantastic. Even the team. We did a small mistake at the last pit stop but it doesn't affect our performance.

Q. Fernando, describe your feelings at the second stop when Pastor jumped you because you were caught up behind a backmarker in that critical lap weren't you?

FA: Yeah, we were a little bit unlucky maybe. We had a Marussia but I think he got a penalty at the end. Obviously, it's not a solution now but hopefully people start to understand that they need to respect the rules and today again they didn't and they paid the penalty. It's more of a penalty the penalty we paid – maybe the race win – but yeah a little bit disappointed. But they [Williams] did a great job and they had the pace, because in the last stint, if we were faster than the Williams we had the opportunity to overtake but they were quicker than us so thy deserve the victory.

Q. Kimi, it's the second podium for you in a row. Do you feel a win is around the corner?

KR: Yeah, twice already. Unfortunately you're not always going to get there. If you get the chance, you should take it because it's not every race that you will be able to fight for that position or even try it. Hopefully we can keep doing what we're doing now and at a certain point I'm sure that things will go exactly right and we can. But so far it's been a good step and the car has been strong everywhere. The next race is a bit different – Monaco – it's hard to say how it goes there. The team has done a good job and we have still work to do, things to improve. But so far it's going in a good way and I'm happy with it. OK, we're not 100% happy with it because we are not winning but that's a very normal thing and I'm happy for the team.

Q. As Kimi says, we go to Monaco next Pastor. That's one of your favourite tracks. What chance a back-to-back victory for you?

PM: I think it's going to be a great opportunity for us to be strong again. For sure I will be doing my best on the driving. The team is looking after the car so we need to continue like that. Keep pushing with the car, to develop it as soon as possible and consistency will be the important thing in this championship.

PRESS CONFERENCE

Q. When did you think you could win, because obviously there have been changing emotions, obviously you were second on the grid and then first on the grid and then obviously the start etc., When did you think this was possible?

PM: After the qualifying. Y'know, it was so great to start from the head, from the front and for sure the team did a great job to give me a car and I did my job on the qualifying. And then starting from the pole it's much easier, everything.

Q. And then obviously overtaken at the start…

PM: Yes, our start wasn't that great, Fernando had one better than us but after the first lap the pace was very competitive, the car looks very good and we were looking at the strategy, that's it.

Q. And what about the tyres at the end? Because obviously Fernando closed on you and then dropped back.

PM: When Fernando got close I was looking after the tyres, I didn't push that much, just because the big tyre degradation. We did an extremely good strategy today, everything under control, even some moments when Fernando got too close but we had a little bit better traction than him, using KERS and everything. So it was managing the race, looking for the gaps and the pace.

Q. You must have thought that with KERS, him within a second, at any moment it was going to happen – but it never did.

PM: For sure it was difficult from this morning because the gaps are so close between the top teams at the moment. When I saw that I was second in the first corner, 'OK', I said, 'the race is going to be long. We need to keep pushing, we need to prepare to change our strategy just to attack Ferrari and we did it. Everything was perfect, except the last pitstop. We had a big moment there but it doesn't affect our final result.

Q. Fernando, you got so close, right up there, and then it just went away I guess, and then by the end it looked as though you really were struggling on the tyres.

FA: Yeah, it was close with ten laps to go, ten laps to the end. We were attacking Pastor when we were closing to within one second but then the last seven or eight laps we lost the grip, around Turn Seven I felt. I informed the team some corners after, in Turn Nine, to check if everything is OK because maybe we lost some aerodynamic part of the front wing or under the floor or something because we had no more grip at all. So, from that point the last seven laps, it was monitoring the distance and the gap with Kimi. We knew it was a very long last seven laps. At the end it was close. I think one lap more and Kimi overtake us. So we were lucky at the end and happy – happy with the weekend in general, not only with the race, because we had a very strong weekend, on Fridays with good practice, the car felt more or less competitive yesterday. I think we extract everything from the car again, maximise the potential of what we have in our hands and today the start was great, the race pace was good, at one point we were lapping one Red Bull in front of us with the blue flags, so… it's very strange. We were 57 seconds behind Vettel in Bahrain, and we were lapping Webber here. No one understands probably. Not us either.

Q. It really was that sudden when you lost the grip? It was almost like a switch.

FA: Yeah, yeah, it was in turn seven, over the kerb maybe, something fall out of the car or something, we need to check. But it was difficult. As Pastor said, in the last corner, turn 16, it's difficult to follow anyone after the chicane, so we knew that when you lose the position at the pitstop, you have to have a big pace advantage if you want to overtake someone. With the difference and with the pace that Williams had today, we knew it was difficult.

Q. I suppose everybody in Italy wants to know, has Ferrari turned the corner? Are you now back in front again?

FA: We'll see. I think when we are first and second in one qualifying and first and second in one race, we have to say that we have the best car. Until that moment we are fighting. I think this year is very difficult to have a pace advantage or to be happy with the car you have in your hands, because everything is so close. Consistency and continuous development will be important in this championship because two-tenths can be six or seven positions in one qualifying this year. But what we can say is we have probably the most difficult start of the championship in these three years in Ferrari, with a car that was not competitive at all, and we finish the first quarter of the championship, so this is the fifth race out of 20, and we are leading the championship, or the same points as Vettel, so we have to be very, very proud and very happy with the points we achieved and with the position. Maybe we have not to be so proud about how competitive we are but we are working on that.

Q. Kimi, tell us about the start, because that pretty much established your race.

KR: Yeah, I had a pretty good start, nothing to complain about. I thought I would get the chance to overtake outside both of the first two but I didn't have enough speed in a straight line – I actually hit the limiter I think in fifth gear which kind of stopped my acceleration a bit but after that I didn't have the speed to hang on and hound them. I was pulling away from the guys behind me but I couldn't stay. The first stint was pretty OK but the second, I chose the soft tyre and I didn't have the speed to keep up with them. I'm a bit disappointed but I just tried to fight and then we changed the tyres and it seemed to turn out to be pretty good but we were just too far away. We need, like, ten more laps and then I think we could have been fighting for the win.

Q. Absolute charge at the end, your tyres were OK?

KR: Yes, it was OK. I had two new sets of Prime but unfortunately I didn't have more sets of Prime anyhow to put in the first pitstop. The car was very good but just a bit too late for me. We fall off too much in the last stint to be able to fight for the win. But one more lap we could probably could have got Fernando – but it's easy to say after.

Q. And what did you tell the Finnish viewers just now?

KR: It's Mothers' Day in Finland.

Q. So Happy Mothers' Day?

KR: Yeah. I had nothing else to say to Finnish viewers.

QUESTIONS FROM THE FLOOR

Q. (Leonid Novozhilov – F1 Life) Kimi, second place in Bahrain, third place in Spain; is this the maximum for you or can you win?

KR: The fact is the reason why I'm disappointed is because in the end if we have done everything right, we could have put ourselves into first place. The car has been fast enough but we've been doing small things not correctly and I've done some mistakes on my side but if everything was 100 percent OK we could have won. There's no issue with the speed of the car, but it's so close between all the teams and drivers that if you have a small problem or a small issue during the weekend then it's going to cost you a lot. If you're three tenths behind then you're suddenly not in the last qualifying. As you give yourself the chance to be fighting at the front, I think our car can do it but everything has to fall in the right place to be able to win.

Q. (Leonid Novozhilov – F1 Life) Pastor, you are now a national hero. Are you ready?

PM: For sure everyone is so happy in my country. I'm very lucky to have a country behind me, pushing so hard, to see me here in Formula One and especially to be here, between these guys. I'm pretty happy for Venezuela, I'm happy for Williams as well. They did a wonderful job to give me a great car for this race. We are getting better and better, race after race.

Q. (Adrian Huber – Agencia EFE) Fernando, after the first five races, and all the problems you're supposed to have in your team, no one has scored more points than you have now. How much more confident are you today than you were on Thursday, or on the inside were you expecting this?

FA: No, I am a definitely surprised by the quantity of points that we have; I'm a bit surprised by today's result, or the weekend's results. We were confident of improving the car, we were hoping for some signs of improvement here in Barcelona. As I said, in Bahrain, we were nearly out of Q3 and then in the race, P9, one minute behind the leaders, so we arrived in Barcelona with some hope, some optimism about the upgrades but I think the result, the overall weekend pace has been a little bit better than expected, because we were quick in qualifying and quick in the race but this, in my opinion or how I feel after the weekend, I still don't know where we are. I think we need to wait for more races, for the championship to stabilise a little bit because I think we maybe over-performed a little bit compared with the potential we have and maybe some other teams under-performed or they had some problems to get their tyres working or something, because, as I said, some of the results that we saw this weekend feel very strange.

Q. (Carlos Miguel – La Gaceta) Fernando, if we take a look at the race, maybe it was a bad decision to stop so late after Pastor after you'd had the problem with the Marussia because it's so important in Formula One to stay in front from the aerodynamic point of view.

FA: Yeah, obviously you never know. After the race it's always easier to review the strategy. The choice was always to stop on the same lap or one lap later than Pastor, always try to cover the position. When Williams decided to stop in the second pit stop, we had one Marussia in front of us for a lap and a half. When we saw that in the second sector, we were already exiting behind Pastor so at that point, we decided to keep going for a few more laps and try to get the opportunity at the end of the race, with a shorter stint. I think we didn't lose the win because of the Marussia because if you had the pace in the last stint, you had to overtake Pastor and we didn't because they were faster than us, but for sure, we went out of the plan because of the backmarker.

Q. (Jaime Rodriguez – El Mundo) Pastor, could you explain the start of the race, because you had a good fight with Fernando, and I want to know if you've received congratulations from your president in Venezuela?

PM: You know it wasn't the best start ever from us. I think the clutch slipped quite a lot. Fernando had a better jump than us. It was so close, I tried to defend the position but he was already on the better part of the track, so I decided to back off and follow him. At that moment, I thought that the race was long and we changed our strategy, to attack Ferrari. I think from the second stop we did pretty good and I think we surprised them because we did it so early.

And the call? No, not yet because I was on the podium before, so no time to even see my family, my people. Maybe he will call. I don't know.

Q. (Heikki Kulta – Turun Sanomat) Fernando and Kimi, did you believe that Pastor could be your main rival today, and if not, how big a surprise is it?

FA: Yeah, I think so. We saw in general that during the weekend that Williams was good. Lewis was maybe the favourite for this race after the pace we saw from Ferrari on Friday and the pole position by half a second yesterday. With Lewis's penalty, Pastor was the strongest at the front so no surprises.

KR: Williams have been quite fast for two races in certain points and I think, as we've said before, it's very difficult to say who is really the quickest overall because at one race one team is there and then suddenly they are tenth in the next race, so it's bit of an odd situation where we are this year, but it gives a lot of chances for all the teams who have the speed and when the tyres are working for them they are much better than the others. The tyres seem to be the key thing. If you get them working well you seem to be fast. Sometimes you just drop out of the window a little bit and you have a hard time.

Q. (Marco degli Innocenti – La Gazzetta dello Sport) Pastor you are the fifth winner in five races, so the top of the field seems to be very close. Do you put Williams and yourself among the possible winners of the championship?

PM: For sure we are a little bit backwards compared with the leaders, with Fernando and Vettel, but we need to keep working. We are not the best team at the moment. The car looked pretty good today, but I think we need to keep pushing some particulars at Williams, especially in the car, but everything is possible. The gaps are so close at the moment, I'm driving well, I have a good feeling with the team, with the car, so everything is possible. For sure we are looking to do our best, looking forward to winning some races, to getting a couple more podiums and I'm really happy because the team hasn't won many races for many years so this is a great moment for us. I hope to continue like that.

Q. (Livio Oricchio – O Estado de Sao Paulo) Pastor, you were in the same team last season. When you finished the season you were in front of only three teams: Marussia, Hispania and Caterham, and now you are in front of all of them; what has happened to explain such a change in performance from one season to another?

PM: We made big changes in the factory, we have new staff in some of the departments and completely changed the approach to building the car. I need to say that this year's car has great performance, great potential to become even stronger than it is and for sure, this is great for motivation, to motivate the team, the factory, to keep pushing like that. I think this is the way. We are motivated and we need to keep pushing.

Q. (Adrian Huber – Agencia EFE) Pastor, it looks like this could be a very long Sunday in Venezuela. Do you have any information as to what's going on now or can you imagine what might happen there?

PM: I can imagine that there will be a party everywhere but I don't know at the moment. I need to see some of the fans, my family there. I think everybody who saw the race and for sure all the people are happy at the moment and this is great for Venezuela after nearly thirty years without any driver in Formula One, so I think it's a great moment for our country.

Q. (Michael Schmidt – Auto, Motor und Sport) Fernando, you have already said that at the moment everything is possible and not many things are explainable which is very strange for Formula One. I don't think we ever had this situation before. Do you, as a driver, enjoy this uncertainty or would you like to have some more answers on open questions?

FA: I don't know. I don't know how to answer. We probably like the unknown situation that we have now, so you arrive in Monaco next Wednesday and you don't know if you will be a winner or if you will be out of the points. That's what we feel at the moment, not only for us. But in a way, after eleven years in Formula One and seeing Ferrari dominate most of them, now that I'm at Ferrari, I would like to have more stability and a dominant car.[/spoiler]

Also Simon's post podium line of questioning to Maldonado's fiancee was hilarious: "So how did you help Pastor relax himself last night?", cue the rest of the pundits pissing themselves laughing :lmao:

Thankfully it seems nobody has suffered any serious injury as a result which is great news, and it means that Williams can hopefully enjoy this weekend.

It really doesn't seem right that it has been eight whole years since they last won a race. The team is a far cry from the days of Ralf Schumacher and Juan Pablo Montoya ( :wub: ) now but it was brilliant to see them back at the front and I hope they can get there more often from now on.

I love the tire situation. The whole point of bringing Pirelli in was to spice the races up, which it has indeed done. In fact, I would hate for it to go back to the way it used to be with Bridgestone, where a set of tires could last an entire race.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were a case of somebody forgetting to turn something off or leaving something too close to the fuel tanks because of the excitement of the moment.

ETA: Especially if they got called away for the team photo in the middle of whatever they were doing.

• Admin
Williams chief operations engineer Mark Gillan has offered his thanks to rival teams who reacted so quickly to the fire in its pit garage after the Spanish Grand Prix.

A major fire broke out in the garage shortly after a team photo was taken in celebration of the first Williams victory since 2004.

But prompt action from crew members from nearby teams, including Force India and Caterham, ensured that the damage was limited.

"On behalf of Williams, I'd like to thank all of the team members from other teams for their helped during the fire," Gillan told AUTOSPORT. "We were overwhelmed by the support. It was really impressive.

"Williams would like to say thanks to the teams, the FIA, FOM and all of those who came to help. It was a serious issue and I am very grateful indeed.

"What happened after a great result is very disappointing, but things were limited by the fast response of our team and everyone who helped."

Gillan confirmed that Williams has lost a large amount of equipment in the fire. But despite this he has no doubts that the team will be fully operational in time for next week's Monaco Grand Prix both in terms of equipment and crew.

"We had a lot of damage and we have lost a lot of equipment, including IT equipment," said Gillan. "Over the next couple of days we will be looking at where we are parts-wise.

"We will have everything we need to run operationally at Monaco, but we may be missing a few of the extras because obviously we don't carry a complete set of spares for everything."

Initial inspections of Bruno Senna's car, which was in the garage when the fire erupted as it had not finished the race, suggest that the chassis is undamaged.

However, Williams will not be certain of that until it has examined the car more closely back at its Grove base.

The Williams F1 team has confirmed that a further two team members have been released from hospital and have returned home after being treated for smoke inhalation following its pit garage fire at the Spanish Grand Prix.

One member of the team, who suffered burns in the incident, remains in hospital in Spain but is expected to return to the UK for further treatment within the next 48 hours.

A statement from Williams reported that investigations into the cause of the fire are still on-going.

Team principal Sir Frank Williams said he was pleased to have been able to welcome the majority of the team back to the factory on Monday.

"I was pleased to welcome back to the factory the majority of our team this morning. One of our people remains in Spain for further medical assistance, but we are all looking forward to his imminent return," Williams said.

"Everyone at Williams F1 is extremely relieved that this event was contained as quickly as it was and the damage which occurred was, relatively speaking, limited in its nature.

"While the incident was unexpected and definitely most undesirable, it has demonstrated the genuine cohesiveness, camaraderie and spirit of co-operation that exists within the Formula One paddock.

"The astonishing response from the teams and other paddock personnel was immediate, unconditional and overwhelming."

Williams has promised not to get carried away and believes it can challenge for wins at every track now, despite Pastor Maldonado's dominant performance at the Spanish Grand Prix.

The Grove-based outfit ended an eight-year victory drought at the Circuit de Catalunya, with Maldonado brilliantly holding off Fernando Alonso for his maiden F1 triumph.

But despite strong performances at the Barcelona track often being an indicator that a car will be good for the remainder of the campaign, Williams thinks the unpredictable nature of this season means there is no guarantee or more success in the future.

Williams board member Toto Wolff told AUTOSPORT: "I can get used to this kind of stuff, I like it. But I think we cannot expect results like this to happen on every occasion, or that we will be there now as a top contender.

"We have seen Sauber run very competitively in Malaysia, and we have seen [Nico] Rosberg having a tremendous race [in China], while here it was us. So it is a tricky situation which the engineers need to understand.

"But it definitely gives the team a boost of confidence and a boost of motivation. It is going to boost Pastor and it will boost Bruno [senna]. So let's live with the euphoria now before we go back to work."

Wolff, who is playing a more active role at the team following the departure of chairman Adam Parr recently, says the team never expected to be so strong when it arrived at the Spanish GP.

"If you are realistic you cannot dream of the victory," he said. "We have seen that various teams won various races, and you see the Mercedes has gone up and down.

"Whether it is about finding the right window for the tyres to work, or if it is a combination of other things, it is still to be analysed.

"But I didn't dream about the win, and I didn't dream about it after qualifying either. Our aim was to keep it calm and score solid points. This is what Pastor's target was in the morning, so he was not going flat out and crazy for the win."

Renault Sport F1 managing director Jean-Francois Caubet has admitted that he didn't expect the revived partnership with Williams to yield wins so quickly.

Pastor Maldonado's surprise victory in the Spanish Grand Prix came in only the fifth race since the Williams-Renault link-up was renewed and although Caubet was always confident that wins would come, he saw it as a longer-term project.

"We thought we needed three years to win and after five races we did," Caubet told AUTOSPORT. "It's a fantastic feeling.

"The last win was in 1997 with Jacques Villeneuve [at the Nurburgring]. It is emotional for Renault. When we signed Williams it was huge news in Renault because we have been in Formula 1 for 45 years and Williams is part of our history."

Caubet is hopeful that there could be further victories this year.

He paid tribute to the quality of the car that the team has produced and credited the team's fighting spirit for it delivering top results so quickly.

"Yes, I think so," he said when asked if the win is repeatable. "In Australia, straight away the Williams was a good, competitive car. We have a good engine and fantastic drivers.

"We thought we could be about fifth or sixth in the championship and it would take two or three years to win but because of the fighting spirit, we did it now.

"Williams never give up. This is key. We were sure that they would be back and it was clear that the had the budget and the technical people to do so.

"They have the right people. In Formula 1, you must have the right balance between people with experience and [new] people with creativity."

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh has admitted that he should have told Lewis Hamilton to abandon his Spanish Grand Prix qualifying lap as soon as the team realised it had not put enough fuel in his car.

A mistake in the garage prior to Hamilton's final run in Q3 meant that the British driver did not have enough fuel to be able to complete an in-lap and provide a mandatory sample for the FIA.

But rather than give up on the challenge for pole, McLaren let Hamilton complete his lap before ordering him to stop.

That decision ultimately led to the 2008 world champion being excluded from qualifying and moved to the back of the grid, which was a more severe penalty than the team was expecting.

Speaking about the matter after the race, Whitmarsh said that he should have acted differently.

"With hindsight I was wrong, but I don't think I or very many people anticipated that, as a consequence, we would be starting from the back of the grid," said Whitmarsh.

"With hindsight I could have called it a different way, and he could have just come in at the end of the out lap. But frankly I did not expect the penalty that he received."

Whitmarsh revealed that the team only became aware of the fuel situation once Hamilton was on his qualifying lap.

"Part way through that last qualifying lap, the data indicated that there was not as much fuel on board as we thought," he said.

"We knew there is a black and white regulation that says you have to be able to give a litre [sample] at the end, so I took a call which was: right, that is a black and white regulation, there is no negotiation, let's make sure we can comply.

"We stopped the car and pumped out 1.3 litres as it turned out, but we didn't know that until several hours later. It could have been three litres and I would have been moderately embarrassed. Whatever the outcome I was going to be embarrassed."

Ferrari still needs to make a 'massive' step forward with its car if it is to win the world championship this year, despite Fernando Alonso's second place in Spain moving him back to the head of the standings.

That is the view of its team principal Stefano Domenicali who thinks that, although updates introduced at Barcelona have delivered as expected, much more progress is needed over the remainder of the campaign.

"This has to be a push for all the engineers at home to make sure that we improve the car," Domenicali said about Alonso now being joint leader of the title chase with Sebastian Vettel.

"That is the only thing we can do if we want to win this championship. We need to make a massive step and keep improving the downforce.

"But with all the problems we had since the beginning of the season, at least we are there [at the head of the title race]. Still, there is a lot of improvement that we need to bring because our target has not changed."

Ferrari had gone in to the Spanish GP weekend well aware that the updates needed to deliver a sign of clear improvement. But its front row start and battle for victory was more than even it expected, with Alonso admitting that he was "surprised by the weekend result".

However, Domenicali believes it was important to show that efforts back at Maranello are paying off.

"At least I am happy for the team at home who are pushing and working hard, to see the sign of their work," he said. "In a difficult condition with a lot of pressure, it is not a problem for me; it is a problem for the people who have to manage the engineering of it, to deliver the job.

"I am happy because I saw the job of the last weeks delivered the right sign in terms of trend. But we know it is not enough."

Ferrari have increased the pressure on Felipe Massa by saying they expect his form to improve immediately.

Massa has scored only two points this season, while team-mate Fernando Alonso is level on 61 points with championship leader Sebastian Vettel.

The Brazilian was 15th in the Spanish Grand Prix and was lapped by Alonso, who was second to Pastor Maldonado.

In a statement, Ferrari said: "Everyone is expecting a change of gear starting right away with the Monaco Grand Prix."

The statement, released on Monday, emphasised that Massa had been "very unlucky, both in the race and in qualifying" in Spain - he suffered traffic in qualifying, ending up 16th on the grid, and was given a drive-through penalty for a caution flag infringement.

The upturn in form was desired by Massa "more than anyone", the statement added.

But it also detailed his drop-off in form since 2010, comparing the points he has scored at this stage of the last three seasons with those of Alonso.

While Alonso has scored 67, 51 and now 61 points after five races in 2010, 2011 and 2012, Massa, Ferrari said, had scored 49, 24 and now two.

Ferrari have always been publicly supportive of Massa, emphasising that they will help him through a difficult time in his career and pointing out that their 2012 car is difficult to drive.

But the statement comes in the wake of increasing rumours that the 32-year-old will be replaced sooner rather than later.

Drivers linked with his seat include Force India's Paul di Resta and Sauber's Sergio Perez, who is a member of the Ferrari driver academy.

It also comes after the team wrote on their Twitter account following qualifying in Spain that they were "disappointed" with Massa.

A spokesman later clarified that statement, telling the Sunday Times: "It was a poor choice of grammar. We are disappointed in the outcome of Felipe but not with Felipe himself."

Alonso's position at the head of the championship is a surprise considering the relative lack of performance of the car.

A major upgrade for Spain resulted in a marked improvement in pace.

The double world champion qualified third, which became second following a penalty for fastest qualifier Lewis Hamilton of McLaren, when his previous highest grid position had been ninth.

Team boss Stefano Domenicali said: "It takes very little to change the hierarchy among the teams and this rule is even more true when the differences are just a few tenths or even hundredths.

"This year, the winner will be whoever manages to bring the best technical updates to the track in the shortest time possible: staying still for just a handful of races could mean finishing out of the points, given that so many teams have proved capable of fighting for the top places.

"We achieved our goal of making a step forward in Spain, but we must continue down this path, especially as the gap to the time that gave Hamilton his pole position is still too big."

Nico Rosberg believes Mercedes can still be a serious contender in the world championship fight this year, despite a disappointing Spanish Grand Prix.

The German struggled with tyres throughout the Barcelona weekend, and finished seventh after losing positions in the closing stages of the race.

However, having not lost much ground to the championship lead (currently shared by Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso), Rosberg believes that the next races on the calendar will be better suited to the Mercedes package.

"I only lost two points on the championship lead, which was good, and I am still only 20 points away which is good, as long as we can push on and improve," explained Rosberg on his own video blog.

"Hopefully the conditions in Monaco and Montreal will favour us again. It is possible. But it is difficult to understand how the next race is going to be: let's wait and see. For us onwards and upwards as Ross [brawn, team principal] would say."

Rosberg said that the Mercedes form over the Spanish weekend was simply a consequence of it failing to get on top of the tyre situation.

"It was a difficult weekend for us," he said. "It is really unbelievable in F1 at the moment - the ups and downs of everybody. That Williams win is fantastic for them and I am very happy for Frank [Williams], his 70th birthday and the win is fantastic stuff.

"For us, it was a much more difficult weekend. It was just tyre management. In qualifying we were eating the tyres and that was why we were struggling more than some other teams like Williams. It was the same in the race."

The Massa article stands out for me there. I wouldn't be surprised to see him axed if he isn't doing the business by race 7-8. Whether he'd be replaced by Juls Bianchi or if they'd try and get Perez back off Sauber though I'm not sure.

Poor Felipe just hasn't really been the same since the accident :(. He should really be down in the history books as a World Champion in my opinion.

• Admin
Ferrari has said it expects Felipe Massa to lift his performance at the Monaco Grand Prix, amid the first signs that the team is losing patience with his lack of results.

At the start of what was viewed as a vital campaign for the Brazilian driver, he has scored just two points so far, with team-mate Fernando Alonso jointly leading the world championship on 61.

Massa's lack of results means that Ferrari is currently lying fourth in the constructors' championships behind Red Bull, McLaren and Lotus.

In a statement issued on its website after the Spanish GP, Ferrari highlighted Massa's poor form this year compared to previous seasons, and said it was clear what was expected of him.

"In Montmelo, Felipe was very unlucky, both in the race and in qualifying, but everyone, he more than anyone, is expecting a change of gear starting right away with the Monaco Grand Prix," said Ferrari.

Although Ferrari remains committed to Massa for now, AUTOSPORT understands that the outfit is now seriously evaluating options for the future - both short and long-term – if the situation does not change.

While Sauber driver Sergio Perez remains a prospect for the longer term, Ferrari is also understood to be evaluating Force India duo Paul di Resta and Nico Hulkenberg as well as Lotus test driver Jerome d'Ambrosio.

Although the latter's inclusion as a candidate is a surprise, the Belgian does have the advantage of being available immediately, and would be happy to take a half-year deal which would allow Ferrari to spend longer thinking about its options for a new team-mate for Alonso in 2013.

Frank Williams says Pastor Maldonado is worthy of a place at his team even without the considerable backing he brings, judging by his performance at the Spanish Grand Prix.

Maldonado delivered a surprise victory at Barcelona on Sunday, as he withstood race-long pressure from Fernando Alonso to end Williams' eight-year victory drought.

And although it is no secret that Maldonado owes his place at the Grove-based outfit to the backing that Venezuelan oil company PDVSA brings - this year it is paying £29.4 million - Williams says that his driver is the real deal.

When asked if Maldonado was only at Williams in the first place because of money, Williams said: "Yeah, he was to some extent. I'm not denying that. But if we thought he'd been a wanker, he wouldn't have got in the team no matter how much money he had.

"He did a very sensible job in GP2 and he fully deserves to be in the team with or without the dosh. The truth is that if you haven't got the dosh, you can't go Formula 1 racing.

"But we've got a real racing driver as well. I am just astonished by the way he just controlled himself, and didn't make a mistake at all."

Williams is well aware that there was plenty of opportunity for Maldonado to have slipped up on Sunday, especially because it was the first time he had been in a position to win.

"When a driver who has not led before and is out in front, he tends to make a mistake," explained Williams. "But from what I saw, he didn't come near it. He was calm on the radio the entire time. Given what we have seen in GP2 and F1 qualifying, he's very skilful.

"It's the first race he's led and led and led and, as the race goes on, you become under more pressure to not think about the podium, not think about what your mother's going to say, and not think how much the prize money is going to be.

"So you think don't crash, don't make mistakes, brake a little bit earlier, and look after it. That's what you've got to do and that's what he did."

Williams believes that Maldonado could go on to deliver more success in the future, especially because he thinks the driver is outperforming the machinery at the moment.

Speaking about Maldonado's potential, Williams said: "It could be very considerable indeed. We certainly couldn't say we've got a winning car. We've got a very good car, and we'd be sad to lose him."

Pastor Maldonado did more than enough with his victory at the Spanish Grand Prix to be able to tell his critics to 'shut up', says Williams board member Toto Wolff.

The Venezuelan driver delivered a stunning performance at Barcelona to produce the maiden victory of his Formula 1 career, and prove that his value to the team is more than just the millions of pounds of sponsorship he brings.

Wolff knows that Maldonado has faced criticisms in the past for being a 'pay driver', but now he thinks those who were against him can no longer complain.

"I think silencing his critics is being diplomatic with language," Wolff told AUTOSPORT. "I think he has shut them up with his performance in Spain.

"I have said it many times before that the economic environment [in motor racing] has changed. If you want to run in GP2 you need one and a half million pounds, so the drivers there are not only quick and talented but these guys have been able to attract partners too.

"Pastor has been very successful in attracting partners and many others have been too. So let's forget about this phrase 'pay driver', as we have to get used to this situation in the future."

Wolff believes that Maldonado has made big progress with his driving this year, and thinks that the lessons of his final-lap crash in Australia were valuable in helping him improve.

"It is a lot about learning, and Pastor learned a very hard lesson in Melbourne," Wolff explained. "He thought about it a lot and before the race, when we discussed the strategy, he said: 'I am OK coming out of lap one in a position that is not in the lead. I am out there to score points.'

"He wasn't putting himself under pressure, which I think is very important. In the race, he was faultless and he was very well managed from his race engineer about conserving the tyres."

Lewis Hamilton produced an 'extraordinary' performance in the Spanish Grand Prix to charge from the back of the grid to finish eighth, reckons his team boss Martin Whitmarsh.

The Briton was excluded from qualifying after a mistake in the garage meant he did not have enough fuel to complete an in-lap and provide a petrol sample after taking pole position.

Despite the setback, Hamilton executed a well-judged two-stop strategy that Whitmarsh thinks will silence those who suggest the former world champion is too aggressive.

"Lewis was extraordinary," said Whitmarsh. "After a fantastic qualifying effort, and the undoubted frustration and shock at what happened after that, I am so proud of him.

"We knew we had to do something like a two-stop, but we knew how difficult that would be. So, from the get go, Lewis had to look after the tyres. And this is someone who is often criticised and called the racer who cannot think it through and cannot look after his tyres.

"He did an extraordinary job. To do 31 laps on a set of tyres, and give it another 100 metres and he would have got past Nico [Rosberg] as well, he had to race, hussle, overtake and be assertive and aggressive at the right moments. He proved he could operate and he got himself in the points."

Despite praising Hamilton's charging drive, Whitmarsh did concede that McLaren had to learn lessons from what happened over the weekend, as it squandered a real opportunity to win.

"Clearly there are some negatives and disappointments that we take away from this weekend," he said. "To have to race from the back of the grid is tough, really, really tough - so we have to learn, we have to improve and we have to be better.

"But equally there are some positives. The car is quick, Lewis has demonstrated levels of maturity, resolve, and control, to add to the speed and talent that we knew he had.

"We leave here eight points off the drivers' championship [lead], and 11 off in the constructors'. In two weeks' time, hopefully we will be leading both. It is that sort of a championship."

Lotus boss Eric Boullier says he is not frustrated by the failure of his team to win the Spanish Grand Prix, because he thinks a victory is just around the corner.

Kimi Raikkonen and Romain Grosjean had gone in to Sunday's race as many people's favourites for the win on the back of impressive long-run form in practice.

However, neither was able to match the pace of runaway leaders Pastor Maldonado and Fernando Alonso in the opening stages, and Raikkonen's late-race charge came too late to allow him to finish better than third.

Although Raikkonen was disappointed about the end result after crossing the line within four seconds of the winner, Boullier has said he was not disheartened at all by the near miss.

"No I don't share the sentiment," Boullier told AUTOSPORT about Raikkonen's post-race reaction. "We are all here to win, but the pace of the cars is very tight.

"It didn't work out with the first two sets of tyres and we didn't have the pace that we expected. So from that point it is difficult to win.

"It is true that, when you see the pace at the end of the race, when we were closing on the leaders, with three more laps maybe we could win.

"But this is racing. To win we need to keep working and we have to use the next opportunity to do it."

Lotus has shown itself to be strong on all types of tracks this season, and Boullier thinks that if the team can keep up its current form then a win should come soon.

"It is good to have drivers who want to win, and are pulling the team forwards," he said. "I think if we can keep this consistency like we are doing now, definitely it [a win] is on the cards."

Adrian Sutil is confident that he will have the opportunity to return to Formula 1 despite being without a seat for 2012.

The German, who raced for Spyker/Force India from 2007-2011 before losing his seat for this year, returned to the F1 paddock at last weekend's Spanish Grand Prix.

While there are no opportunities currently available, he believes that if he is patient there will be chances to make a comeback.

"I'm always looking, but I have nothing at the moment," Sutil told AUTOSPORT. "I chose this grand prix to come back because it's the first in Europe. It feels good to be back in the paddock and to see some people.

"That is the key to getting a drive and hopefully very soon. At the moment, there are no seats available and I have to wait. But people know that I am ready and on hold. I have to wait for the call.

"I talk to many different teams, but they can't say anything right now. They say that they are maybe interested, but you can't get more. They tell me to hold on, keep fit and then maybe there is an opportunity. I have to believe in it and it will come."

Sutil emphasised that he is determined to return to the sport in a professional capacity, not as a pay driver.

The German turned in some impressive performances as Force India climbed the grid during his time there and he believes that proves that he merits his place on the grid.

"We are not offering money," said Sutil. "After five years, people know that I'm good and I don't need to bring sponsors.

"I want a normal salary for my driving and that's it. I want to get treated like a race driver and it's important for the whole sport that the real talents are in the seats and not the drivers with the biggest money behind them."

Sutil is certain that the suspended sentence he was hit with in January for causing bodily harm will not damage his chances of landing a drive or prevent him from visiting any countries that host races.

"It's over and there are no restrictions for me, I can travel and I can do everything that I did before," he said. "We had time to check all of that out."

• Admin
1336926527.jpg

The Williams mechanic badly burned in the fire in the team's pits after the Spanish Grand Prix has returned back to Britain to receive further medical care.

Having spent the last two days in a hospital in Barcelona as the result of the injuries he suffered when fuel caught alight at the back of the garage, the mechanic was flown to a British hospital to continue his recovery.

Williams chief operations engineer Mark Gillan said that the mechanic was in a stable condition despite the burns he suffered.

"There were a number of people who attended the circuit medical centre, mostly as the result of smoke inhalation," said Gillan about the injuries members of his team suffered.

"One team member remains in hospital having suffered burns, but he is in a stable condition and in good spirits and has returned to England today for further medical care."

Williams is still conducting a full investigation into the incident, which is believed to have happened as fuel was being prepared for transportation in the garage.

Gillan added: "Investigations into the actual cause of the fire are ongoing and are being performed in collaboration with the local authorities and the FIA.

"The extent of the damage is still being accessed and will not become fully clear until both the cars and equipment have returned to the factory. What is clear is that our garage IT equipment and infrastructure have been badly damaged."

Other teams have offered assistance in any way they can to help Williams prepare for the Monaco Grand Prix, but Gillan admits that it faces a tough challenge ahead of the event.

"On the back of a win [in Spain] we go to Monaco with high hopes but there is a prodigious amount of work to be done prior to the event to recover from the fire," he said.

Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz believes Formula 1's thrilling start the season may be great news for fans, but he feels it has turned the sport into a lottery for teams.

Five different drivers from five different teams have won the first five races of the season in one of the most open championship starts in the sport in recent times.

While Mateschitz acknowledges the unpredictability is great for the fans, he feels this year's tyres are making the racing a lottery, as he thinks no team has managed to understand how they work so far.

"F1 is more exciting and more unpredictable than ever before," Mateschitz told AUTOSPORT. "Obviously, caused by the rule changes before the season, the top teams moved closer together. I always had confidence in the potential of our RB8 and I still have, no doubt.

"But everyone has to learn F1 again. It has become a kind of lottery to find out the window in which a tyre works.

"And I do not believe this just happens on purpose to create more overtaking and tension in the races. I suppose no-one really understands these tyres."

Mateschitz also admitted he has been surprised by the pace of the Lotus team this year, but he reckons the squad's success across the season will depend on it being capable of staying on par with its rivals in terms of development.

"Lotus has been the biggest surprise of all. I think Kimi indeed had the pace to win in Bahrain. The question is how long Lotus will be capable to keep the pace of development work the other major outfits will show. If they can keep up with them they will be a force to be reckoned with."

McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh believes winning the Monaco Grand Prix would be a deserved reward for Lewis Hamilton.

The British driver has started from pole position twice this year, and he would have been first on the grid in Spain had he not being sent to the back of the grid for not having enough fuel onboard at the end of qualifying.

Hamilton, however, is yet to finish higher than third this season and Whitmarsh says he would like his driver to be the sixth winner in 2012 in next week's race in Monte Carlo.

"He is in that frame of mind, he deserves it - there is absolutely no doubt about it," said Whitmarsh. "We have to work hard, make sure he has got a good car, make sure we don't make any mistakes, and make sure he is in a position to fulfil his potential at a circuit where he has won in F3, GP2 and F1.

"He has won it in every category - so he would like to win it again."

Although Whitmarsh believes his team will be in good shape for fight for victory in the principality, he is aware that it is impossible to make predictions this season.

"We have won more Monacos than anyone else, we go there with the belief that we can win, but anyone who makes predictions in this sport at the moment would be nuts," he said.

"It really is virtually impossible to make these predictions – five races in, five winners, five different constructors – and it could be after Monaco six races and six different winners. I hope not six constructors, I hope we can win that."

Peter Sauber has announced he is transferring a third of the stake in the Sauber Group to CEO Monisha Kaltenborn.

Sauber, the founder, team principal and president of the board, will retain the other two thirds.

India-born Kaltenborn, 41, was appointed CEO of the Swiss squad in 2010, following BMW's exit from Formula 1.

"When BMW pulled out of Formula 1 in 2009, Monisha was instrumental in the team's survival and since then she has been doing outstanding work in her capacity as CEO," said Sauber. "Transferring one third of the stake to her represents an important step for me in providing continuity.

"My desire is to ensure that the company continues to be led as I would want over the long term. Monisha Kaltenborn and my son Alex, who joined the company as Marketing Director in 2010 and has since also been a member of the Board of Management, both embrace this aim. It means we can offer our employees a positive outlook for the future."

Kaltenborn added: "For me this step is a mark of the greatest possible trust, which I will do everything in my power to justify."

• Admin
McLaren says it will be ultra-hard on itself to iron out the kind of mistakes that are costing it valuable points in its battle for the world championship.

After some frustrating races where the team's form was hit by a number of pit stop errors, plus the fuel problem that cost Lewis Hamilton pole position in Spain, McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh insists the outfit is not taking the situation lightly.

"One mistake can do it, and we have made some," he explained. "It is painful, frustrating and difficult in the team, and we get a fair amount of external scrutiny and criticisms.

"But believe me, we are much harder on ourselves and it is reasonable to be criticised if you are not getting it right."

When asked what the team could do to limit the mistakes - especially with such a premium now on delivering error-free weekends – Whitmarsh said: "It is the obvious thing.

"We have complex processes, and lots of challenges, but we must concentrate and focus to not make mistakes. It is not magic. It is doing our job and doing it correctly."

Whitmarsh thinks the bigger challenge for the team is not in ironing out the mistakes but in increasing its understanding of how to extract the most performance from the tyres over the remainder of the campaign.

"There is no magic in F1," he said. "You have to work hard, look at the data, understand and study it, and then try and effect control once you have got the data.

"Once you have got the understanding, then delivering what you want to ensure you get the best out of those tyres is the next part of that challenge - and we have got some views and ideas. But with every race that goes by, perhaps we are left with a few more questions than we thought we had at the beginning of the weekend.

"We are learning something, but I don't think there is anyone here who convinces me that they understand these tyres and knows comfortably and confidently how to exploit them on a regular basis.

"It has become an incredible feature of this championship and, inadvertently or otherwise, it is creating the extraordinary season that we are seeing."

And with five different winners from the first five races, Whitmarsh says it is not for definite that things will become more predictable over the remainder of the campaign.

"I would like to see it settle down in our favour, but I don't think we can rely on it," he said.

"I think this is going to run and run - and this is going to be a great season. There will be moments of extreme agony and frustration for us, but it is great for everyone out there and that is how it should be."

Kimi Raikkonen says that too much has been made of the impact of tyres on the racing this year - and thinks that it is the ban on refuelling that is playing a huge factor in shuffling up the order as well.

The competitiveness of the F1 field this year has meant elements like tyres are playing a bigger role in the outcome of races, with Pirelli having faced criticism that its products have now become too important in defining results.

However, Raikkonen is not convinced that Pirelli should have been singled out as the key element - because he reckons that the ban on refuelling is a big contributing factor too.

"I don't think the nature [of F1] is different because of that," Raikkonen told Finnish newspaper Turun Sanomat about the impact of Pirelli.

"It's because of the amount of the fuel on board. I don't think there would be that much problem with these tyres, if we would race with 50 or 60 kilos, when we start.

"Previously the pitstops were made usually after every 20 laps, while we had less fuel. I think it would have been the same situation with Michelins and Bridgestones if we would have this much fuel as we have now.

"These tyres are good in qualifying: they have a good grip and all in all they are good tyres."

Refuelling was banned at the start of the 2010 season that witnessed four different winners in the first five races, and produced a four-way championship finale in Abu Dhabi.

Williams's shock victory in the Spanish Grand Prix was a result of major changes made to the team over the past year, according to Pastor Maldonado.

The Venezuelan, who is in his second season with Williams, believes that the team has transformed its approach since last season under new technical director Mike Coughlan and chief operations engineer Mark Gillan.

"We took a great step forward because we changed a lot of things in the factory," Maldonado said on Thursday.

"Part of that is that the approach when we get to the track is completely different. We put a lot of things together to make a real step forward so it's difficult to say there is a single thing [making the difference]. We changed everything and I am really happy to be part of that."

Maldonado admitted that the fire that engulfed the Williams pit garage around 90 minutes after the race had dampened spirits.

But despite that, the prevailing feeling was happiness about ending a Williams victory drought that stretched back to the 2004 Brazilian Grand Prix.

"It was a difficult moment for all of the team," said Maldonado of the fire. "But we have been so happy even after that because it has been nearly eight years that Williams has not got to the top of the podium. The win is a big motivation for everyone."

Pastor Maldonado believes that the driver plays a bigger part in the competitive equation under Formula 1's current regulations.

The Spanish Grand Prix winner, speaking at the Williams factory on Thursday, likened the current situation to the GP2 series, with more drivers and cars able to be competitive and nobody having a decisive advantage.

"It has become like a GP2 championship," said Maldonado. "The drivers can make the difference and the teams can still work on the strategy and the car.

"It's a bit boring when you see one car winning. The season is more competitive."

Maldonado added that despite criticism by the likes of Michael Schumacher and Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz about the tyres, it is still satisfying to win races under the current rules.

"The tyre degradation is quite big and it is true that you need to manage them," said Maldonado.

"This is part of the race and it's the same for everybody. There are no easy races. We need to adapt to the tyres, to the rules, to the car."

The Venezuelan added that the Williams team's understanding of the tyres played a key part in its success in Spain.

The way that he managed the rubber in the final stint in particular while under pressure from Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso was a decisive factor in his victory.

"The Pirellis are working quite well on our car at the moment," he said. "We have degradation, but it's the same for everybody.

"We've been working on the tyres. We built the car around the tyres and developed it around them.

"We understand very well how to do it [manage the tyres] especially on the driving [style] and the engineers managing the setup of the car."

Maldonado is confident that Williams could fight for further wins this season. He underlined that the team is getting stronger as the season goes on, although it's difficult to predict anything because of how rapidly the competitive order is changing.

"We will do our best," said Maldonado when asked if he could win again. "All of the teams are so close, the championship is so close and the gaps are close as well.

"But we are getting better every time. At the moment, we don't have the quickest car on the track but we are doing our best.

"Why not [win again]? But Formula 1 is changing all of the time. It's going to be difficult."

Williams has quashed speculation that Bruno Senna's place at the team is under threat if the Brazilian does not lift his game over the next few races.

While Senna's team-mate Pastor Maldonado delivered a brilliant victory from pole position in Spain, Senna endured a tougher weekend - spinning out of Q1 and then crashing out of the race after a collision with Michael Schumacher.

That performance prompted rumours that Williams could make a push for test driver Valtteri Bottas to make the step up, with his speed in Friday practice sessions this year having impressed his bosses.

However, Williams board member Toto Wolff says that the outfit remains totally committed to Senna – and that there is no desire to fast track Bottas in to a race seat before he is ready.

"We are not replacing anybody," Wolff told AUTOSPORT. "We have contracts with two drivers, and we are supporting our drivers as much as we can and as well as we can.

"The decision to take on Bruno and Pastor was a very carefully taken one and we will push on - not do some knee-jerk exercise.

"With Valtteri, we are going through a development school and the decision to run him on Fridays was very carefully decided. We are not going to burn him up either by putting him in a situation that we think is not appropriate. So the rumours are rubbish."

Kamui Kobayashi thinks Sauber could be in the hunt for a podium finish at the Monaco Grand Prix with the team having delivered a good step forward in pace with its latest update.

The Japanese driver bounced back from a hydraulic issue in qualifying for Spain, which left him ninth on the grid, to finish fifth - and he reckons the team can expect even more on the streets of Monte Carlo.

"I think our car will be better in Monaco than it was last year because it has improved in slow corners," said Kobayashi. "In 2011 I finished fifth, so the target should be to finish higher up this year.

"However, even if you are given the best car in Monaco, in the end a lot is down to the driver to get the ultimate tenths of a second out of it."

Kobayashi thinks the nature of the current season – which has seen five different teams winning the first five races – points to the fact that Sauber too can fight for good results if it delivers a perfect weekend.

"We have seen five different winners in five races. So you could say almost everything is possible this year," he explained. "I believe we have a good car and good chances for good results.

"The final outcome always depends on a lot of factors. But what you have to do for success is to get every small thing perfectly right over the entire weekend. And this is what I'm aiming at."

Speaking about the improvements to his C31 that were delivered in Spain, Kobayashi said: "I think we have improved in the areas we wanted to. The car is better balanced through the corners now. In terms of stability I would say it is about the same, but stability always depends a lot on the track conditions."