EWB Fantasy Basketball

Couldn't we then also vote on keeping the auction system? Then if the vote is for it we can work out a time that nobody is at work and if they miss it, then they miss it. It's not like they couldn't have a month's notice given there will be no lockout.

• 1 month later...

I e-mailed everyone in the league but this is another reminder that some of you have not been active. I believe in second chances so if some of you start managing your teams again I'll give you the opportunity to return next year. No three strikes though, those of you who haven't done a thing in weeks or the whole season have until Sunday to start running your teams again or you will not be welcome back to the NBA league next year and will probably get blacklisted from other EWB fantasy leagues as well.

Just picked up JR Smith to try and help out at SG, it was easily my weakest position with Curry being forced to moonlight. I like Curry/Smith/Dudley/Griffin/Ibaka with Gortat/Aldridge/J-Rich/Teague/Duncan as my utility guys and my bench, hopefully I can get over the .500 mark.

Pickups this year have been hard with how many guys miss like 3 games when in a normal season they'd lose 1. So you're faced with the question of whether to release a guy to fill the spot or just take the hit of losing them for a few games.

I don't think anyone was really prepared for the schedule this year and how ridiculous it was. There's no balance to it and guys are so regularly banged up that they're missing a couple games at a time. Next year will work a lot better.

For those wondering, partly because of the way this season has been and partly because of the inactivity of a couple members, we're definitely not doing keepers this year. Next season will have a board draft as well, I'm planning to start that around the middle of September. I've been taking notes on what's gone well this season and what hasn't since I plan to run this league for the foreseeable future, once we finish the season I'm going to bring up a lot of the changes I plan to make and field them to our returning members to see their feelings. So stay tuned for that. And good luck the rest of the way everyone!

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to bump this to point out that the last week of the regular season is upon us, and the playoffs will be starting soon so everyone should make sure their rosters are up to date :)

Also, on a bragging note, my team has won 4 games in a row at this point and is on pace to challenge The Closet Bandits for the #1 seed on the Nitro side. QUOM HOGAN, WE COMIN' FOR YOU, NINNY!

First half of the season Curry is hurt so that started me out 0-3, then I trade him for Monta Ellis because you know if Ellis playing regardless if Curry is there or not, Golden State is going to let him get big numbers. So what happens? He goes to the blackhole that is Milwaukee and Brandon Jennings.

I gotta say, I'm pleasantly shocked to be 9-3 after having about 20 bucks to buy 80% of my roster. The waiver wire has been very friendly to me this season.

God bless Goran Dragic, Al Harrington and Sam Dalembert.

Yeah the waiver wire, because of the small rosters, was the difference-maker for a lot of us people who had rough drafts. I'm torn on whether to do a board draft next year or go back to the auction format and hope everyone shows up. Naiwf, who missed the draft, has been stuck in the cellar because no matter what his team of waiver wire guys isn't going to match up to those of us who got a star or two. On top of that I'm gonna cut loose the few people who dropped the ball and never managed their team. It's not that hard to get online and set your lineup for the entire week. That's how I do it every Sunday night or Monday morning. And then, depending on time and need, make acquisitions and changes later in the week. There's no excuse to not do this bare minimum of team management.

What do you guys think? Finding a time for 14 people from different countries to all do a draft is pretty tough, and a board draft is easy to run provided we get enough of a head start. But the problems with a board draft are twofold. First, some people just forget to draft and hold it up 24 hours; Second, with an early start a lot of transactions can happen that would completely change a player's value.

Good luck again to everyone in the playoffs, I'm looking forward to running this league again next year.

Yeah the waiver wire, because of the small rosters, was the difference-maker for a lot of us people who had rough drafts. I'm torn on whether to do a board draft next year or go back to the auction format and hope everyone shows up. Naiwf, who missed the draft, has been stuck in the cellar because no matter what his team of waiver wire guys isn't going to match up to those of us who got a star or two. On top of that I'm gonna cut loose the few people who dropped the ball and never managed their team. It's not that hard to get online and set your lineup for the entire week. That's how I do it every Sunday night or Monday morning. And then, depending on time and need, make acquisitions and changes later in the week. There's no excuse to not do this bare minimum of team management.

What do you guys think? Finding a time for 14 people from different countries to all do a draft is pretty tough, and a board draft is easy to run provided we get enough of a head start. But the problems with a board draft are twofold. First, some people just forget to draft and hold it up 24 hours; Second, with an early start a lot of transactions can happen that would completely change a player's value.

Good luck again to everyone in the playoffs, I'm looking forward to running this league again next year.

League's too big, rosters are too small. Two fewer owners and two more roster spots per team would have worked quite well, I think.

The auction part was fun and different, even as late as I showed up. The experience we're dealing with in the baseball league right now is seriously working my nerves, so obviously I'm not keen to deal with board drafts any more than I absolutely have to. Outside of football, I don't feel like I want to deal with another board draft ever again...and even then, I'm going to have to seriously weigh it this season.

As I said in baseball, you can easily spot the people in a board draft that will give up on the draft, and they're usually the ones that will give up on the season. So, maybe the advance warning is a good thing? Only positive I got.

I know I keep saying this but I think an auction draft is the only way to go with basketball. A board draft or normal draft would work with perhaps 6 teams. But to me there is a huge advantage to being in the top 5 picks (barring major injuries). I'm sure we can find a time and date that suits nearly everyone. If it's agreed to and thought of beforehand I can't really see how we can't find an hour or two to complete the draft. Especially if we make it a Sunday in America (which would make it Saturday here).

Having said that the vast majority of my roster ended up either being cut or traded away. I also offered Dwight Howard for Rose at one point, so I really don't think it's down to necessarily even missing the draft. This season has been hard as a lot of players have picked up injuries that may normally cost them a game or two, but due to the shortened season has led to them either missing 5-6 (or longer to make sure they don't get re-injured) or they are getting perpetually injured (I have lost Rubio and Steph Curry for the season so far).

I also feel that the auction draft helped me connect with my team. I had in my head a list of 5 players. It would suck knowing that I was picking tenth and likely had no chance at getting any of them. An auction draft is good as you have a chance at getting any or all of these players. Nobody is disadvantaged and it's a level playing field. Also my team is falling apart and I think I will be knocked out early.

• 3 weeks later...

What exactly are you asking? They basically work the same way as the regular season in terms of scoring, the teams who have been eliminated go to the consolation ladder which doesn't really matter too much to us here since we don't have money on the line.

But anyway, Quom and Tyler are in the finals. Congratulations to both of you.

That's what I didn't get. Like we were all playing last week and this week. So I didn't really get what was going on. I sort of thought it would have been set out in a bracket or something. I like Spanktooth so will be happy either way. I'm totally going to win though.