EWB TV Club Session #1 - Arrested Development

Berober

Not entirely related to the first two episodes, but I've been wondering something about George Sr.'s character.

With Lucille, it's pretty obvious that she'll do anything to manipulate anybody (except George and Oscar) to get what she wants. Even when she's doing a motherly favour for her kids, there seems to be an undercurrent of "I'm only doing this because then they'll owe me a big one".

Is George the same way? Sometimes you get the feeling he has to be, but other times he shows a softer and more tender side (especially with Michael) that's convincing enough it makes me wonder if it's really legit. What do the rest of you think?

I think, generally, George Sr. is too inept to be manipulative, and when he is, it's more out of a misguided morality than anything else - he wants to do the best for the company, and for his family, even if it involves lying and doing horrible things. So it's a little bit of both.

Obviously, there's the possibility that the softer, tender side is just another way of manipulating people - and that could well be true - but I think, especially in later seasons, there's definitely a change in the writing to make George more of a bumbling fool.

Yes. In the early episodes, he is clearly manipulating things (I.E. 'The Flamer' taking out the storage spot), but towards the later episodes he is softer.

Caught up... some thoughts:

Bringing up Buster

• "And then there's a kiss, right?" - Hahaha, oh George Michael you poor kid
  • "You've got 3 days." "Hey, if I can't find a horny immigrant by then, I don't deserve to stay here." Hahaha, it gets me every time.

Key Decisions
    • Ahh, the staircar. "Watch for hop ons, you're gonna get some hop ons"
    • "You call yourself an environmentalist? Why don't you go club some beavers." Lindsay finally gets me to laugh this season
    • Lucille II!

Charity Drive

• Buster and Lucille II, such a cute couple
      • Bananagrabber - should have kept the animation rights

Visiting Ours

[*]The cutoffs!!

[*]Hahahaha, young George Michael dressed as the Tin Man watching OZ.

And I will second that. Watching the last batch of episodes, I want a frozen banana...

Lucille 2 is amazing. Liza could so easily have just sleep-walked through that role and been little more than a glorified cameo, but she's actually brilliant, and one of the most consistently entertaining supporting characters this side of Barry.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been keeping up with this as I love the show, but have yet to post. I thought I'd post my favourite quote from each episode.

PILOT

"Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."

TOP BANANA

"You didn't eat that, did you?"

BRINGING UP BUSTER

"Wow, we're just blowing through nap time, aren't we?"

KEY DECISIONS

"Say that to them in Spanish."

CHARITY DRIVE

"...termssss... one term and one condition."

VISITING OURS

"No, I need your chair. Get up."

OUR MOTHER THE CAR

"Um, is it okay if I do it for mom and not you?

"Yeah."

"Because I really like mom."

"We know."

IN GOD WE TRUST

"There is no God!"

"That doesn't sound like me, it sounds like Mom... Or Bruce Vilanch. It could be Bruce Vilanch."

And I just noticed that the doctor that checks on Michael in My Mother the Car is the same guy that played James on Saved by the Bell and Blinkin in Robin Hood: Men In Tights. Interesting.

....Jesus...Tobias in that leather. But I DO love that you see his jean-shorts in the assless chap. GOB's magic show was also the best magic show ever! And Michael is smart, why would he try and steal the TV that way?

And is anyone else watching this show?