The Last Story

Skummy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Story

So, this is out on Friday, and the present Lady Skumfrog has pre-ordered the special edition for me.

For those of you who don't know, it's an RPG for the Wii, by the guy who created Final Fantasy. From the trailers, it looks beautiful but confusing and overwhelming - which tends to be the case with trailers for RPGs in general.

After a couple of weeks of Final Fantasy XII-2, I'm quite looking forward to it. Anyone else?

I'll give it a look. You people should get yourselves a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles though, if you're willing to play a JRPG on the Wii. Game was freakin' awesome.

I completed Xenoblade a few weeks ago. Really good game although it does start to drag a bit at the end...but that's a common issue with JRPGs.

I'll give it a look. You people should get yourselves a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles though, if you're willing to play a JRPG on the Wii. Game was freakin' awesome.

I completed Xenoblade a few weeks ago. Really good game although it does start to drag a bit at the end...but that's a common issue with JRPGs.

I would have beaten it had I not got distracted and totally lost the plot. The first like, two-three hours were fucking wonderful. Loved the really wide-open areas, so much more fun than usual JRPGs. I definitely got like 50 hours in though, good fun.

I would have beaten it had I not got distracted and totally lost the plot. The first like, two-three hours were fucking wonderful. Loved the really wide-open areas, so much more fun than usual JRPGs. I definitely got like 50 hours in though, good fun.

It was certainly a welcome change of pace after trying to slog through Final Fantasy XIII.

My big problem was that the battle system started to feel a bit less enjoyable as time went on. At first it was quite fun, but as more party members were added with individual skills, managing all of them got a bit tiresome. I think I stopped just after or during the High Entia place, when you try and free Melia. I found I was under leveled and the amount of trouble I was having stopped me enjoying it, or at least enough to cause me to move on to another game.

Because I was stupid enough to pre-order The Last Story from Game my copy didn't arrive today. When I went to check on my order status I found out that Game hadn't even shipped it yet. I promptly cancelled the order and went to ShopTo who dispatched it within five minutes.

This is part of the reason Game is dying a slow death.

Last time GAME did that to me it was with Disgaea 2. I cancelled the pre-order and went out to buy it on the high street.

The next week the pre-ordered copy arrived through the post all the same...but they'd already refunded me, so their error handed me a free second copy of the game. Took the one I bought back to the shop for a refund and kept the free one: flawless victory.

Two and a half hours in, and most of that spent aimlessly exploring. Absolutely bloody loving this so far. It feels an awful lot less like a Final Fantasy game than I expected, and more in feel and atmosphere like a classic PC RPG along the lines of Ultima or Bard's Tale - to me, at least. The regional accents probably help. Syrenne, in particular, is magnificent.

The special edition is absolutely gorgeous too.

The only problem I've had with the battle system is when I'm trying to move out of the way of a large group of enemies, and because you automatically attack as you get closer to them, it's borderline impossible. Otherwise, while it took a little getting used to, I've loved it - some of the most strategic battles I've had in an RPG in a long, long while.