2012 Cycling Thread

Adam

Yeah crash will give a lot of people the same time. Gutting though as it took out my preferred sprinters and left me cheering for....I THINK it was Kittel or Veelers from Argos Shimano I was left to cheer for.

Anyway Japanese commentary team delighted because Arashiro was named the most aggressive rider of the day and wears the red number plate on his jersey tomorrow.

Asahiro was the virtual leader on the road.. with the olympics upcoming... i guess i should remove Cav from my fantasy team

Figured that this would be the best place for this, any of you ever play Pro Cycling manager 2009?

I've started downloading it off steam and I want to know if someone who really doesn't understand anything about cycling will be able to get whats going on. I literally don't know how the tour de France works or anything.

Figured that this would be the best place for this, any of you ever play Pro Cycling manager 2009?

I've started downloading it off steam and I want to know if someone who really doesn't understand anything about cycling will be able to get whats going on. I literally don't know how the tour de France works or anything.

never played it... sounds like a Hamster game

Yeah to me it's what Football Manager is to other people - I buy the new edition every year and love it. Massively addictive once you know what's going on. Not got this year's yet, it was out last month but a bit expensive considering we're saving for baby 'n all.

It definitely helps with those games to have a decentworkig knowledge of how everything runs in the sport. Like Football Manager indeed. Admittedly I've not played since the old Cycling Manager games a good few years ago now but I still found a couple of things confusing and I played that loads and loads, very fun games.

Impressive showing from Wiggins today, not so much for Evans though (to say the least). With two Sky guys now in top, I think we can expect to see some big attacks in the coming days. What will be interresting though, with Evans being almost 2 minutes behind, is whether or not we will see any sort of Evans/Nibali/Menchov alliance.

Impressive showing from Wiggins today, not so much for Evans though (to say the least). With two Sky guys now in top, I think we can expect to see some big attacks in the coming days. What will be interresting though, with Evans being almost 2 minutes behind, is whether or not we will see any sort of Evans/Nibali/Menchov alliance.

I doubt that anyone's prepared to help Cadel, he'll be seen as way too much of a threat and especially as the previous year's champion.

YAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Get in.

GET. IN.

...and the 45th anniversary of Tom Simpson's death. Millar said he would get in the break and try and win it today to commemorate it and he did. Class.

I understand what you did there but I find it rather ironic to see a doper honouring a guy that died from taking too many drugs to enhance his performance.

Nice try, but Millar even talked about that in his post-race interview. Talked about the poignancy relating to the fact that Simpson used drugs and how Millar himself is a former doper, but now has come back clean and campaigns against doping. He doesn't hide away from it.

Nice try, but Millar even talked about that in his post-race interview. Talked about the poignancy relating to the fact that Simpson used drugs and how Millar himself is a former doper, but now has come back clean and campaigns against doping. He doesn't hide away from it.

I'm sorry if I have a hard time liking guys who at any point in their careers cheated. Cycling has too much of a problem because of those guys who actively cheat that I just can't forgive anyone who willingly puts at jeopardy the sport. I'm not saying he hides that fact but I just think it is a funny fact nonetheless.

Edited by GoN_

It's part of why it was so important.

Read his book. Millar understands the consequences of what he's done (unlike someone like Ricco or Valverde or Vinokourov) and has laid himself out so that pillocks like you can have a target while he works with other guys to make the peloton a place where doping is far less prevalent. He's the officially chosen representative and spokesman for the pro cyclists which is saying something.

It's extremely poignant as Simpson died on Mt Ventoux down to pushing his body far too hard because of the drugs he was on. Doesn't make it any less of a tragedy.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/07/news/david-millar-remembers-his-past-as-he-celebrates-the-present_229670

"Don’t stop calling me an ex-doper,” he said. “I was doped, now I’m clean. But we shouldn’t forget the past. It’s important."

• Like 1

While he may be admitting that he was doping before, I still think that the fact he did it in the first place would lead me to not respect Millar as much. But having admitted it and campaigning against drug use in cycling makes him instantly more likeable than Contador, Landis and the like who deny it vehemently and/or are repeat offenders.

The point I was making was that you somewhat missed the point of Millar dedicating the win to Simpson. You were acting like it was some kind of right to be snarky because he used to be a doper too, but in fact that was part of why he dedicated it to Tom.. The point wasn't really about how much you respect or indeed don't respect Millar. Like Hammy says, it's a big part of why it was important.

Ok, I understand what you mean. I may never respect him as cyclist, but I understand better the point of what happened yesterday and accept it better.

Now speaking about the race, today we have what seems a rather pointless stage. Probably a sprint finish that Cav can win...