Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Our home kit and yellow kits are very nice. I've never been a fan of the dark blue cos when I was growing up Spurs played in white or yellow (or sometimes light blue). The different collars are weird though although white and yellow are best.

I don't mind the halves kit, especially as a one off special. I didn't mind the brown one either. It's nice for a change every now and again as long as it doesn't become the norm.

Also, Dawson's got shoulders on him like Lurch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So who else do you think we should sign?

I think Morten Gamt-Pederson would be a fantastic signing. Malbranque's been good up the left, but a natural left-footer there would be an asset. Pederson's pacy, has a good cross, and has experience in the Prem.

It would allow Malbranque to play more centrally if needed, possibly behind the two strikers or running from deep to score more goals.

I'd also take Pederson over the other left winger we are linked with at the moment, Petrov, simply on experience. Not every Bulgarian will adjust to the Premiership as easily as Berbatov, surely?

• 3 weeks later...

So guys...opinions on Darren Bent? Apparently we're close to signing him for around £16 million, according to all the papertalk.

I think he's a good player, but no way is he worth that, especially as that is reportedly what Barcelona have just paid for Henry. Even if we sign him it would mean splitting up the profitable Keane/Berbatov partnership, or else risk having a £16 million player on the bench (It will also likely send Defoe on his way, and for some reason I'd much prefer Defoe to Bent if we had to choose between the two).

Reports in Italy claim Christian Vieri is considering an offer to join Tottenham Hotspur.

Vieri is available on a free transfer after leaving Atalanta and is weighing up his next move.

The striker, who turns 34 in July, is being tracked by Genoa, Torino and Napoli with a view to staying in Serie A.

But he is also exploring the possibility of a second foreign adventure, having previously played for French side Monaco.

Speculation in Italy has suggested that Spurs have been in touch with Vieri's agent in recent days regarding a possible move to White Hart Lane.

The former Internazionale ace is understood to be planning further talks with the Premier League club in the coming week.

Spurs are in the market for a new striker, with Mido set to leave the club, and are also keen on Charlton Athletic's Darren Bent.

He would? There's a reason Atlanta of all clubs hasn't renewed his contract at this point, he's not the player he was 3 or 4 years ago by a long way. The fact that he's available on a free makes it tempting, because at this point we only need somebody to plug the bench and play Euro super-sub if necessary, and £16mill for Darren Bent would be an awful signing. Every year we do this, we end up jizzing all of our funds away on strikers when we have 2 or 3 perfectly adequate (this year perfectly bloody good) strikers at the club anyway. Sure, Berbatov was the Premiership signing of the season last year, but lightning rarely strikes twice and I'm not inclined to think that if it was going to strike anywhere, it'd choose Darren Bent.

Maybe we take Vieri on the free, keep the £16mill and buy somebody to fill a position that we actually, I dunno, need decent players for? The entire left side of the field says hello.

Quite right. I'd much rather they went in for Morten Gamt Pederson, I doubt he'd cost £16 million. Leave our current crop of strikers alone, if Mido goes then put Barnard or Pekhart (who seems to be getting some recognicion in the reserves) on the bench, or just look for some good young emerging talent from the lower leagues (someone in the vein of Matt Derbyshire, good striker with potential, but still young and wouldn't mind not being first choice).

• Admin

Tottenham are set to complete a deal to sign England striker Darren Bent from Charlton, BBC Sport understands.

The 23-year-old turned down a move to West Ham last week after the Hammers had agreed a £17m fee with Championship side Charlton for his services.

Bent will instead move to Spurs, even though their valuation of the player is some way short of the Addicks' after they had a £13m bid turned down.

The two clubs are believed to have reached a compromise on Wednesday.

Liverpool were also interested in Bent, but they have instead turned their attentions to Atletico Madrid's Spanish striker Fernando Torres.

If Bent had decided to join West Ham he would have rejoined manager Alan Curbishley, who spent £2.75m to bring the striker to Charlton from Ipswich two years ago.

Bent turned down a move to Upton Park in the hope of Spurs or Liverpool making a move for him.

When Spurs capture their man, they may allow Jermain Defoe to leave White Hart Lane, with Manchester United and Aston Villa linked with the 24-year-old.

Buhbye, Jermain.

Spurs to get Opus treatment

Tottenham fans will be able to celebrate the great club's 125th anniversary later this year in style when Kraken unveils the Spurs Opus.

Featuring exclusive interviews with White Hart Lane legends such as Jimmy Greaves, Dave Mackay, Ossie Ardiles and Jurgen Klinsmann, as well as revealing personal insight from current chairman Daniel Levy, the Opus will offer an unique perspective on the history of the one of the world's most iconic football clubs.

"Tottenham is a name that is known by football fans around the world," said Opus editor Justyn Barnes. "The club has such a rich history and the book will celebrate everything Tottenham have achieved over the last 125 years. "Spurs are synonymous with style and flair and the Opus will reflect this. It's a privilege for Kraken to work on the book."

These books usually cost a couple of grand but they're fantastic. I won the Super Bowl Opus in a competition on Channel Five and it's so good, superb quality pictures, interesting stats and articles, you really have to see it in person to appreciate it.

Now I need to hope Channel Five run a competition to win this one ¬_¬

Darren Bent scored on his Tottenham debut as Spurs began their pre-season schedule with a 3-1 win at Stevenage.

The £16.5m summer signing from Charlton latched on to Steed Malbranque's pass and clipped his effort over the keeper for Spurs' second goal.

Bent was replaced on 68 minutes by Andy Barcham after Adel Taarabt's 25-yard drive had put the visitors 3-1 ahead.

Robbie Keane scored from the spot for the first and Ollie Allen equalised before Bent and Taarabt sealed the win.

Fellow new signings Gareth Bale and Younes Kaboul were not among the Spurs squad at Broadhall Way.

Spurs get off to a good start in pre-season. It may have only been Stevenage but it's good to see Bent and Taarabt got on the scoresheet.

• 1 month later...

I'd say we need a left winger, but thats been obvious for some time. Also someone who can actually defend from midfield, I think after all the bravado we can see how much we miss Carrick given our defensive record over the last two seasons. It doesn't help that King, Dawson, Bale and Kaboul are all injured either and Boateng is yet to start. Also I don't think continually rotating the front 2 is going to do us any favours either, and Berbatov, Keane, Bent and Defoe will all want to play (especially considering the latter two want to go to Euro 2008). Gardener and Stalteri also need to be moved on quietly, and hopefully replaced.

But its not the end of the world, we didn't start well last year and we play Derby on Saturday at WHL. If we don't win that, then questions need to be asked.