Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread

• Admin

I hate Mido. Keane > Mido.

Martin Jol is without the services of seven players for our opening game of the Barclays Premiership campaign against Portsmouth.

Those not travelling to Fratton Park are Edgar Davids (knee), Noe Pamarot (knee), Ledley King (groin), Michael Brown (foot and stomach), Sean Davis (knee), Tom Huddlestone (knee) and Mounir El-Hamdaoui (ankle).

Davids, as reported elsewhere, sustained a knee problem in a collision in training, while King has a small tear in his groin. Huddlestone and El-Hamdaoui picked up injuries in the reserve win over Watford on Monday.

Pamarot, Brown and Davis are recovering from longer-term injuries and the Head Coach reported that they are progressing well.

"Noe Pamarot is still out but doing well and should be ready in another four weeks," revealed Martin. "Ledley King is out with a groin problem. Michael Brown is still not available but he is getting there and could be ready in maybe ten days.

"Sean Davis is not ready yet but shouldn't be long and Tom Huddlestone has a knee ligament injury that is not too bad and he should only be out for two weeks. Mounir twisted his ankle on Monday."

• Admin

Even without half a dozen key players including Robbie Keane, Ledley King and new signing Edgar Davids, Tottenham coasted to an easy opening day win over new-look Portsmouth.

Egyptian striker Mido was involved in both Spurs goals and there might have been more but for two outstanding saves from Pompey goalkeeper Sander Westerveld.

Westerveld prevented Jermain Defoe from twice adding to his second-half goal as Portsmouth struggled to make any kind of impact in front of a stunned home crowd.

In contrast Paul Robinson, the Spurs goalkeeper had only one important intervention to make, cutting out a downward header in the 68th minute from Laurent Robert.

Tottenham were ahead in first-half injury time when Mido threatened to finish off a return pass from Defoe, but was beaten to the final touch by Pompey full-back Andy Griffin.

From that moment on there was only going to be one winner and as Tottenham flourished, Portsmouth faded so that they offered little threat.

Portsmouth manager Alain Perrin took off Ivica Mornar at the end of the first half and replaced him with Vincent Pericard, who was making his first appearance after injury since December 2003.

Pericard was no more successful than his team-mates and it was no surprise when Tottenham added a second goal in the 64th minute.

Mido's pass from near the halfway line eluded Andy O'Brien and Defoe raced away, went around the goalkeeper and slotted in from a difficult angle.

Westerveld may have been partly at fault for both Tottenham goals but he showed his quality twice to deny Defoe.

After four minutes Defoe got in a right-foot shot from 15 yards which the goalkeeper blocked to safety with his legs.

Then with 13 minutes to go, Defoe's shot looked destined for the top corner until Westerveld dived to his left to make a spectacular stop.

Mido came off with ten minutes remaining to be replaced by Frederic Kanoute but by then the damage had been done.

Portsmouth almost mustered an injury-time consolation when Collins Mbesuma came off the bench for his debut, one of seven new signings on show, to get in a low shot from 15 yards which Robinson held on his line.

The only drawback for Tottenham were bookings for the impressive Teemu Tainio for a first-half foul and for Andy Reid for a wild lunge at Griffin in the 58th minute.

Tottenham had such an easy afternoon in defence that one of their few scares came when Erik Edman almost turned the ball into his own goal in the 56th minute in attempting to clear a centre from Robert.

Robert did his best to provide some kind of threat with a series of dangerous centres, corners and free-kicks, but he found little response from his new team-mates.

Spurs were delighted to collect the points after Keane was ruled out at the last minute by an ankle injury, but manager Martin Jol need not have worried because the threat of Mido and Defoe was always too much for a hard-pressed Portsmouth defence.

Spurs manager Martin Jol believes his team's results away from White Hart Lane are the key to the whole season.

Jol said: "The first goal was crucial, but I think we still deserved to win. Once we had taken the lead I felt we would go on and win.

"If we can win more away games we will do better than last season. Every year for ten years I hear we should do better and I believe this year we can.

"When we are away from White Hart Lane we have to do a professional job, as we did against Portsmouth."

Jol praised Jermain Defoe for his perfect pass to set up the first goal, credited to Portsmouth defender Andy Griffin.

Jol said: "This was the difference between him and other strikers, a perfectly weighted pass."

Jol revealed that Robbie Keane, who sustained an ankle injury in training, would miss next week's international for the Republic of Ireland, while Edgar Davids was still a week away from fitness because of his knee problem.

• Admin

KANOUTE EXPECTS TO LEAVE

Spurs striker Fredi Kanoute believes that the White Hart Lane club are actively trying to sell him.

The 27-year-old Mali international was left on the bench for the Premiership opener at Portsmouth on Saturday and feels that he may be moving on in the near future.

Kanoute said: "The truth is Tottenham are definitely willing to sell me. It's clear they are prepared to let me go if they receive a good price.

"I won't be rushed into making a move, though. I don't want to leave in a hurry and end up having regrets so I have a lot to think about.

"I will only choose to do something I want to do and that means taking up a challenge that I will like.

"Ever since I came back from holiday my name has constantly been linked with other clubs and, no matter how hard I try not to let it affect me, I can't ignore all of the rumours and reports."

Former club West Ham and Spanish outfit Sevilla have been mentioned as possible bidders for Kanoute.

The Sun paper today called Andy Reid "The chunkiest winger in football" or something similar...

There is nothing wrong with seeing some good chunky footballers in the premiership. Now we just need some more facial hair and I will be happy.

• Admin

Ah well. I always thought he was over-rated. But thanks for the service Fredi.

Calum Davenport is determined to fight his way into Tottenham's first team despite growing speculation that he is set to leave White Hart Lane.

The 22-year-old defender has seen just seven minutes of senior action since joining Spurs from Coventry City 12 months ago and has already been sent out on loan to West Ham and Southampton.

He failed to secure a place in Martin Jol's squad for the Premiership opener at Portsmouth, despite Ledley King's absence through injury, prompting rumours that Tottenham were looking to offload him.

However, Davenport insisted: "I haven't spoken to the manager or anyone at Spurs about it but I want to stay and fight for my place.

"I realise if I was at another club I might be playing more often but I want to progress and get better.

"Training with the likes of Ledley King and Michael Dawson will enable me to do that.

"We have a young squad at Spurs, which is only going to improve. I know I will need to be patient but when I get my opportunity, I intend to take it with both hands."

I hope he does feature a bit this year.

Edited by Messiah-Dice

• Admin

Wayne Routledge is out for the Boro game.

Wayne Routledge is out of Saturday's home clash against Middlesbrough with a foot injury.

The right winger picked up the problem in Saturday's opening day win at Portsmouth.

Head Coach Martin Jol revealed this afternoon: "Wayne has a little stress fracture of his foot and will be out for at least a couple of weeks."