Dishonored

apsham

Well - I suppose I might as well start a topic because I really don't think that I'll be shutting up about this anytime soon.

Picking up from where I left off in the XBOX thread I am still going through the second mission:

- Heartbroken as I saved a woman from the city watch only to watch her be murdered by a weeper.

- Everything I did in the first mission, coming back! All the people I saved, all the smashing up I did at the Doctor's house

- I.. thought I killed Granny but when she died she exploded into rats and.. now here she is again, saying that it isn't so easy to get rid of her. Damn.

I'm not really liking it too much, but that's mainly because I'm crap at stealth games. I never 'get' how to distract one guard so you can take out the other. So far I always manage to choke out one enemy and then need to kill all the others in that area.

Edit. It's very pretty on PC and if you're into sneaky stealth type games it would likely be really good. But I'm really not at all and if you're doing it by running around killing everyone it's not as enthralling as say Skyrim, Bioshock, or even Dudebro FPS games. The story seems solid, it's just that it's not really built as an action game, so if you can't be stealthy then it seems a bit meh. I'm not very far into it though so it might pick up.

Having said all that if you can do stealthy then I'd imagine the game would be really fun and a good mixture of trying to work out how to silently take out guards (or evade them entirely) with what seems to be building towards a great story.

How can you not kill anybody? I thought that would be the coolest thing but apparently when it comes to stealth I am the absolute worst. I made it through 2 guys before I had to start just killing nearly everyone. Also this Granny seems like a shady character yet I am doing everything she says. I have a feeling with my rampant killing and taking orders from a madwoman I am not going to get a happy good guy ending :(

Oh and when you do kill someone it looks quite impactful if you're into that sort of stuff. I'm not normally huge on killing animations and I'm not the sort to get excited by them, but in this game it really does make you feel like you just disemboweled someone.

It came out today and I just bought it - hope it's in English.

Been excited since I first saw the trailer and stealth games are my fave - I try to kill as few people as possible in Assassins Creed, try not to kill anyone in Mirror's Edge and turned Skyrim into a sneaky stealth game. Even played as a sniper a lot in CoD.

It's totally in English. Hoorah. It's also Bethesda which continues my love affair with that company for publishing quirky and interesting titles.

I only had 30 minutes before work and had to keep stopping to look after my daughter, but it's prety fun so far. I lik the idea of different outcomes depending on how brutal you are and the warping enemies are great. Killed three guards by the time I'd reached the bomb though. D'oh. It's going to prove to be a challenge. I'm killing with a sense of disappointment that I have to kill which is a nice emotional response in a game. I'm sure that will change with the more nefarious enemies though.

Well, this is bullshit. Got a retail copy of the game, put the disk in to install it... it decides to load up Steam and because it's not out here until tomorrow, all I can do is pre-load it. Despite having the disk with the game on IN MY HANDS. What the fuck. And they wonder why people pirate PC games.

Steam has driven me to shouting abuse at my computer before. I think it was for one of the newer Total War games (either Empire or Napoleon) and it wouldn't let me play the game I had bought and owned because my computer couldn't find an internet connection to connect to Steam.

Man. My PS3 is on it's way out and I have to put up with crap like this from Steam to play games on my PC. :( I was hoping to have a play of this today, because there's no way that I'll be loading up Dishonored at midnight when I've got XCOM pre-loaded and ready. It's just ridiculous that I now have to do things Steams way, despite the fact that I didn't plan on involving the program in any way. Fair enough with a game like XCOM, where I purchased it on Steam, but this is just stupid. If it weren't for the fact that I'd feel like I'd blown a ton of money (and the worry that Steam would get pissy if it realized) I'd just torrent the games and play them now.

If it's not out there until tomorrow.. why do you have a retail copy?

I ordered it online and it arrived today. Shopto has done that with all my orders, which is why I use them. With PS3 games, because there's nothing to stop me playing it early, I end up having the game the day before. Which is useful as I can't play on weekends.