Bottom: Hooligans Island

ZJ Penn

This probably doesnt mean much to anyone outside the UK and not much either to the majority in it, but the bbc confirmed a new series of Bottom based off the hooligans island live show.

Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson are writing it with a view to be shown in 2013. Im very excited for it. Its one of my favourite shows of all time and I hope it doesnt deviate too far from the original episodes.

Any other fans on here?

I grew up watching Bottom, and as hokey and silly and dated as it is, it almost always still makes me laugh. I'm not necessarily looking forward to a new series, and some shows need to be left alone, but at the same time, if they're suitably self-aware and self-deprecating about it, it could still be fantastic. And more Rik Mayall on TV doing anything other than shilling beer is fine by me.

Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson’s Bottom reunion series Hooligan’s Island has been scrapped, RadioTimes.com can reveal. A BBC spokesperson confirmed that the comedy project, which was announced in August, will no longer be going ahead, but declined to comment further.

Adrian Edmondson gave an interview on Ollie Winberg’s BBC Radio Essex programme over the weekend, during which he was asked about the progress of the series and said: "There isn't a Bottom series four. There isn't anything.

“We started working on something and we realised why we stopped working together. It wasn't working.”

Elaborating on why he chose to back out of the project, Edmondson explained: "Because I enjoy other things more.

“I'm aware that people think comedy's easy to do and write and everything, and it relatively is to be honest. But once you get to a certain age you want to do things you really enjoy, not just things you can do."

The show would have seen Bottom characters Richard Richard and Eddie Hitler transplanted from their Hammersmith flat to a deserted tropical island, an idea first explored in Rik and Ade’s 1997 Bottom live show, which was also called Hooligan’s Island.

Link.

It doesn't surprise me, to be honest. Ade mentioned years ago that he had to stop working with Rik as Rik had "changed" after his quad bike accident, and you could sort of tell the (many, many) crap parts of the later Live shows (all the "Richie is gay" jokes, for example) were due to that shift in dynamic.

Oh well. Back to hospital dramas and beer adverts.