Hamster's completely arbitrary list of top 20 PS3 games he owns

15: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2

ModernWarfare2_BoxImage_Playstation3_big.jpg

Spoiler alert: I'm only putting my favourite game from each "series" on the list so don't expect MW1 or MW3 to come in higher up.

I've gone off "realistic" military shooting games recently. I'm finding less pleasure in pretending to be a soldier in horrible situations that are actually happening around the globe. I didn't even finish the Modern Warfare 3 solo story (I saved one night on the London Underground mission and haven't gone back to it since).

However I DID play MW1 and MW2 a lot on line at the time and number 2 probably the most of all. Graphically it's a good game. Mechanically it's become the poster boy that other games take their control layouts from. The multiplayer maps were good and the character setup options were good too. The problem is that I got the game here in Japan and all my online experiences were with Japanese players who are FAR FAR better than those back home and have some kind of obsession with researching every level and knowing every corner, so they come around the corner already aiming at where a hiding player may be. It made it tough but then winning or performing well became pretty rewarding.

Call-of-Duty-Modern-Warfare2.jpg

TLDR version: I don't play FPS wargames anymore but if I did it would be this.

14: L.A. Noire

_-L-A-Noire-PS3-_.jpg

I believe L.A. Noire was referred to as an adult game. Not in the way of Grand Theft Auto with the running over of hookers, driving to San Francisco in a van full of weed or gangland shootings. When I heard that you got to play the detective solving crimes I was interested.

Year it's linear and each case is pretty much a "you need to go here, here and here but you can choose which order you do it" but it tells a good story and the whole questioning aspect is excellent. The facial graphics are great and the game couldn't have been done until the last few years.

It never goes for cheap shocks, it just tells a good, grown-up story, even succeeding in making naked female corpses totally serious and not a case for titillation. Some missions are better than others, some mechanics are stronger than others but as an overall package it provides an excellent twist for Rockstar's gaming C.V/resume.

la.noire.05.lg.jpg

TLDR version: Solving crimes is more interesting than doing them!

Honestly, I quit L.A. Noire halfway through. It was an alright game, just nothing really grabbed me. I'd recommend skipping it, but Hammy loved it, so it is probably worth considering.

• 5 weeks later...

13: Fallout 3

7484648.jpg

It took me a few hours to really get a good feel from the world of Fallout. After playing Oblivion for so long and wandering the lush fields, rivers and forests, interacting with randoms, barbarians and animals alive ("interacting" with animals snarf snarf), the post-apocalyptic world of Fallout felt barren and harsh. Then suddenly one night I was immersed, enjoying those lonely trudges through the barren lands, the small enclaves of people huddled together in small villages and the odd appearance of a trader or robot.

I loved the start from childhood, really enjoyed the story too (for the most part) and graphically it was very nice. Certain "missions" (like the linked dreams in the black and white dream world) were really clever and fun to play through.

The action wasn't always the best but it was ok. VATS was interesting and mostly worked. As a package I sank a lot of time into it and really enjoyed it. Also, the soundtrack was perfect.

fallout3_dogmeat.jpg

TLDR version: Bethesda know what they're doing.