Hamster's completely arbitrary list of top 20 PS3 games he owns

This is my list. My list is based on personal preference and has no use to you. However I wish to put this list together.

I think I did a similar list a year or two ago, but tastes change and new games are released.

Those of you who know me will already suspect that there may be some weird stuff on the list and games that, according to most critics, don't belong on there. Well, tough.

So, my rules are that I must own the game physically, on disc.

I just counted that I have 59 games. If this seems high please do not judge me. I got my first PS3 (RIP) 6 years ago, pretty much on release. That means 10 games per year including the year and a bit I worked at Gamestation (cheap games, trade-ins etc), Christmas/birthday gifts and when Japanese games were really cheap a few years ago.

I don't really trade in games or sell them unless I really want to because I'm a bit of a hoarder/collector and like that I have the games around just in case I want to take a photo of a lion or have a round of golf or whatever.

The complete list of games that I will be rating from are....

Ico*

Shadow of the Colossus*

*I will not be including these as I still count them as PS2 games.

Afrika

Assassin's Creed

Assassin's Creed 2

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Beijing 2008

Biohazard 5

Bioshock

Bladestorm

Brink

Buzz: Quiz TV

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

CoD: Modern Warfare 2

CoD: Modern Warfare 3

Dead Rising 2

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Dishonored

Dragon Age: Origins

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Everybody's Golf

F1 2010

Fallout 3

Farcry 2

Grand Theft Auto IV

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue

Heavenly Sword

Heavy Rain

International Cricket 2010

Little Big Planet

L.A. Noire

Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect 3

Metal Gear Solid 4

Mirror's Edge

Modnation Racers

Motorstorm

NBA Live 10

Pro Evolution Soccer 2011

Race Driver: GRID

Red Dead Redemption

Rock Band

Rock Band 2

Singstar

Singularity (picked up very cheap, not played yet)

Skate

Soul Calibur IV

Sports Champion

Tokyo Jungle

Tomb Raider: Underworld

Topspin 3

Uncharted

Uncharted 2

Uncharted 3

Warhawk

Wet

20: Afrika

!B8nco4wBWk~$(KGrHqIOKnMEy15K7Ib5BM3k9tOe9g~~0_35.JPG

American company Cabela released a series of Big Game Hunt games where you'd shoot animals with powerful guns and no doubt head home, dragging the carcass behind you, to your virtual fat wife and stupid friends, drink a few cans of watery beer and then boast about all the people you've shot for trying to break into your house/homestead.

Japan doesn't work like that so instead Sony went in the direction of you playing as a photographer going to Africa and driving around to get pictures of different animals at watering holes, in grassy savannahs and, as special "end of section" bonuses, the big cats hunting.

It's flawed but it's a great change of pace. The animals are beautiful and I would have probably played it even more if my copy wasn't in Japanese. Also the hippos are scary when you get too close.

6a00d8341ce76f53ef00e55491fe958833-800wi.jpg

TLDR version: It's different and looks pretty.

19: Wet

19333_1283766552.jpg

It's ugly and a bit clunky in parts (especially when just walking and climbing around) but Wet is a LOT of fun. The action is fast and flows really well as you slide, wall-run, slow time, target two different targets at the same time with your two guns, hack and slash with your katana and swing around, linking combo kills together. During the action it feels very good. The voice casting is also top notch (Dushku, McDowell and Alan Cumming). Rubi's a pleasing main character and some of the levels are very fun (the car chase, the stylistic red/white/black levels). The "rockabilly grindcore" music is frenetic and fits the mood perfectly. Also, the cover is brilliant.

wet-videogame-ruby-sword-swing-screenshot-big.jpg

TLDR version: Ugly in parts but helluva lot of fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKg6CVki5hk

18: Pro Evolution Soccer 2011

PS3_PRO_EVOLUTION_SOCCER_2011.jpg

I've been a Pro Evo fan since the early ISS days and while I don't get the latest version EVERY year (although most years having a winter birthday means it's a simple pressie to ask for) I've noticed that every year on the PS3 they've gotten better and better after a clearly wobbly first year (the year when people generally agree that FIFA overtook it). Most of my Pro Evo '11 play has come from the Pro game, taking my player through Spain, Netherlands, England and to the (once) mighty A.S. Monaco while leading the line for Japan in our plucky but doomed-for-failure World Cup challenges.

There's not much to say really. It feels like football, the AI is good and every goal feels brilliant, even bundled in toe-pokes.

5154153975_10f436ae60.jpg

TLDR version: It's footy. I like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8FNkit3wBc

17: Modnation Racers

619QmWkSEeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Oh look, it's the Playstation's Mario Kart. Only in my mind it's better. The cars handle perfectly, the tracks and characters are fun and the difficulty level ramps up pleasingly without so much of the "cheating" you get from other game AI.

Also, at least when I played it a lot for a while, the online community was really good and there are plenty of added characters, cars and tracks to play on and choose from. You can upload tracks and race on them with randoms. Brilliant.

Oh yeah, the tracks. This is the best thing about the game - design a track, build it out with a simple to use and pretty powerful design tool, practice run it, tweak it and then upload it for others to play. My own creations included a Monaco/Alps-esque James Bond style track, a Wipeout up and down mental city track and a ridiculous spirally jungle track. There's a lot of scope here for creating short cuts, jumps, hidden paths, power-ups and so on. Brilliant and means that the game never runs out of replayability.

1043505-modnation_racers_01_super.jpg

TLDR version: Making tracks is the best thing ever.

16: Everybody's Golf

1107072_300x300_1.jpg

One of the earlier games I got for my PS3 and one that had an excellent online mode to go with it - tournaments, four-balls and so on. You'd level up online too which was good and, even when you were outclassed, competing for a top 20 or top 10 position in a tournament was really good fun.

Anyway, graphically Everybody's Golf was great for the time and still holds up well. I'm not a huge golf fan but quite enjoy playing it on the computer and pick the more complicated stroke option which is carried out well. There are enough courses and enough different players to give you the feel for variation and the courses, while sensible, are varied enough in style and "geography". My first EG game was back on the PS1 and I've followed it through the PSP and onto PS3. I also prefer the gameplay and physics to the more serious (Tiger Woods etc) golf games.

You should be able to pick it up cheaply now and it's worth it.

evgolf-2.jpg

TLDR version: I don't usually like golf but Everybody's Golf is easily the most enjoyable golf game.

I want Afrika!

It's actually decent practice for other stealth games. It requires patience and careful aim, so if you're getting your steam punked in Dishonored, there ya go.

I do the same thing with Madden as Hammy does with PES. Simple present and it'll likely get more playtime than I care to admit.

Modnation Racers had terrible load times, but I didn't care. It was pure, distilled fun. Can't wait to see what the team does with LBP Karting.

American company Cabela released a series of Big Game Hunt games where you'd shoot animals with powerful guns and no doubt head home, dragging the carcass behind you, to your virtual fat wife and stupid friends, drink a few cans of watery beer and then boast about all the people you've shot for trying to break into your house/homestead.

It's like he grew up right beside me. :crying:

Should be rather cheap on ebay. But it´s very restricted and the initial trailer they put out had a lot more detail than the game i got sitting here.

For some reason, Afrika was watered down for the overseas market. The Japanese version is the proper version but the international version had worse details and less good stuff. It IS mission focussed so you go somewhere, take the pictures you need and head back to base again, rather than just roaming around forever and ever but it managed to keep a level of real interest.

Just sometimes because of the Japanese I had no idea what pose I needed the animal to be in to take the picture.

The hardest early on was getting a photo of a hippo with its mouth open and looking ready to charge. Basically YOU had to upset it so that it looked like that.

I remember that, yes. Fucking Hippo. Also the save games tend to be about 1gb big. >_>

i got Hakuna Mattata, i think it´s chinese or Korean. I got this version because it had the English language. But it´s not like you miss much exept some very basic info about the animals.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane