Ni no Kuni

LUKIE

I'll likely keep English because I generally prefer English in Miyazaki films, and thusfar the game hasn't disappointed. It's just... Ollie, please, please stop talking like that.

ZJ: Yours sucked in second stage? Mine rapes and pillages everything in its path. Seriously, I've scarcely used my others for fear of angering him. My poor lemur's practically useless at the moment in comparison, but I like him so I'm keeping him for now.

My Mite on the other hand is kitted out with awesome equipment, and to prove his beastliness recently his shield auto-blocked an attack during a side-quest mini-boss battle, and afterwards he proceeded to make that creature regret everything it had ever done. Seriously, got a "Nice!" on his first retaliatory shot and pretty much ripped the thing to shreds before his stamina ran out.

So proud of the little guy.

I only played about half an hour yesterday. So untill now this issent much more than a movie to me... but god damn is it gorgeous. This music, the art.... i hope more games get this art direction now. This is so much what i loved about my old SNES RPGs "grown up" into this console genneration.

ZJ: Yours sucked in second stage? Mine rapes and pillages everything in its path. Seriously, I've scarcely used my others for fear of angering him. My poor lemur's practically useless at the moment in comparison, but I like him so I'm keeping him for now.

My Mite on the other hand is kitted out with awesome equipment, and to prove his beastliness recently his shield auto-blocked an attack during a side-quest mini-boss battle, and afterwards he proceeded to make that creature regret everything it had ever done. Seriously, got a "Nice!" on his first retaliatory shot and pretty much ripped the thing to shreds before his stamina ran out.

So proud of the little guy.

Yeah. He fell behind my Lemur (which I preferred to use in random battles due to its higher attack speed) and eventually I passed it onto an ally. I think once I started to prefer others who had slight advantages I decided to stop giving Mitey as many treats and new weapons so it kind of snowballed. He's brilliant again now in third stage though.

There's multiple rewards. Some cost one completely merit card, other cost 3 or possibly more. There's no real benefit from each big enough to warrant getting it straight away, so just go with whatever you feel would help you best. I think I went for making it easier to sneak up on enemies first.

I've just been getting them in the order they're listed myself, mainly because I'm hitting everything I can along the way so I've actually got a large number of merit cards cashed in thusfar. If I weren't doing that I'd probably just aim for what I want, pick & choose and all that.

That said, my favorite is the jump ability. It's nearly useless except for when you're in battle and your familiar is too short to reach the golden orb when it appears, but it's like its description says... it's really fun. I don't know why but I am addicted to mashing O while running.

Steamed through it this weekend and managed to finish it.

Some tips for those playing:
- When you're on the third row of merits - GO STRAIGHT FOR UNLOCKING OLLIE'S POTENTIAL. It makes a shitload of difference.
- Carry around plenty of MP restore items. I'm talking a minimum of 25 at all times, if not more. You never know when you'll desperately need it, and they can be more useful than HP restore items if used correctly.
- Do Horace's riddles as soon as you can. One of the spells he gives you is tremendously useful in the final battle, and is generally the most useful spell in the game.
- Once you have fully powered up Mornstar, you can finally unlock the purple chests. The game doesn't tell you that you can, but you can. Go around and collect the items, because they are very useful.

The game itself was awesome, and I'm looking forward to the post-game now.