Summer Transfer Window Thread 2015

Rich

We need defenders more than we do attackers but I'll be pleased with Borini, he was good for us on loan. Wasn't the agreed fee with some Italian sides meant to be £4million though? This is £7m with £10m add ons based on performance etc.

Edited by FrostyPickle_3:16

Liverpool and Everton have joined Arsenal in the pursuit for Yarmolenko.

The Gunners apparently have had a 32M pounds bid rejected for Inter's Mauro Icardi.

Nottingham Forest have accepted a 7M bid from West Ham for Michail Antonio.

It's a massive gamble but to be honest, no team would let us sign their top striker without us paying over the odds. They know we have the money to do it.

City just spunked 50 odd million on a player who is unproven in the PL, regardless of how he's done at Wolfsburg. This isn't me comparing the two players as I'm aware he's done well there, but again, United aren't getting anyone on the cheap, and neither are their rivals. 

'Unproven in the Premier League' and spending £36mil on a 19 year old who's made 50 career appearances are two very different things. De Bruyne is also definitely proven, he got nearly 30 assists last year, it's not as if the gulf in quality between the Bundesliga isn't negligible. He's not going to forget how to play football because he's now playing in England, with a better team.

Fees are going up but that's absolutely crazy money for Martial. That's almost Raheem Sterling money, only he's a year younger, way less experience and isn't English. 

But it's the type of money United are going to have to pay for any promising forward nowadays. The money we paid for Memphis is also "crazy money". Using Thauvin as an example, Newcastle got him for roughly £12m - you can bet that if it were Man Utd who wanted him, they'd have held out for much more than that.

I would rather spend £36m on Martial at 19 than £15m for Austin who's 26 (?) and would offer nothing different to what we already have. It's clear we needed to sign a forward. Could this have been done earlier? Obviously. But Monaco clearly weren't going to budge on the price they had in mind for Martial. That's probably why Spurs never ended up getting him.

It's a massive gamble but to be honest, no team would let us sign their top striker without us paying over the odds. They know we have the money to do it.

City just spunked 50 odd million on a player who is unproven in the PL, regardless of how he's done at Wolfsburg. This isn't me comparing the two players as I'm aware he's done well there, but again, United aren't getting anyone on the cheap, and neither are their rivals. 

'Unproven in the Premier League' and spending £36mil on a 19 year old who's made 50 career appearances are two very different things. De Bruyne is also definitely proven, he got nearly 30 assists last year, it's not as if the gulf in quality between the Bundesliga isn't negligible. He's not going to forget how to play football because he's now playing in England, with a better team.

Fees are going up but that's absolutely crazy money for Martial. That's almost Raheem Sterling money, only he's a year younger, way less experience and isn't English. 

But it's the type of money United are going to have to pay for any promising forward nowadays. The money we paid for Memphis is also "crazy money". Using Thauvin as an example, Newcastle got him for roughly £12m - you can bet that if it were Man Utd who wanted him, they'd have held out for much more than that.

I would rather spend £36m on Martial at 19 than £15m for Austin who's 26 (?) and would offer nothing different to what we already have. It's clear we needed to sign a forward. Could this have been done earlier? Obviously. But Monaco clearly weren't going to budge on the price they had in mind for Martial. That's probably why Spurs never ended up getting him.

I understand that inflated prices are parcel of dealings with top clubs, but that being said it's still stupid money involved. I don't anybody can say United overpaid for Memphis. He cost roughly £11mil cheaper than Martial, only he has a World Cup under his belt, is more experienced and had nearly a 1 in 2 goal ratio from midfield. 

He could be a world beater but he's not going to offer much this season. At his age, it'll be a tough ask to deliver immediately.

Sunday - Van Gaal: 'We're not going to panic buy'.

Monday - *blasts £36m on an unproven striker with a 1 in 5 strike rate and has to pull him out of the French squad to have a medical*