Project Cars.

FLiam

As a guy who logged hundreds of hours on Burnout Paradise, but nothing much else since, what are your thoughts on picking this up for my PS4?

You can't really compare the games. CARS is a real simulation heavy racing game, Paradise was an arcade racer.

But from all i've played, I love the game.

I typed out a big long post that for some reason didn't post when I clicked it.

Can't be bothered typing it again but the tl;dr version is;

This game is amazing. Found Karts super easy, but oh my god I suck at Superkarts.

Online is even more fun than the career mode. Even managed to hold my own in a touring car race, finishing 7th after an epic 3 lap battle with a guy for 6th.

Hard to say again, very different games. I prefer this for actual competitive racing but Forza for its wider range of cars.

I skipped the whole Karting stages, I didn't find them fun, more of a chore. They just don't feel *right*.

However since moving onto the Formula Rookie class, I'm having a great time with the game. It can be very punishing though without a rewind button which I have grown to abuse in Forza / F1 games. If you make a mistake, that's it.

One thing they have really nailed down and impressed me in this game is the sound. It's incredible. Hammering around a track in the Mustang NASCAR looking thing, and you hear every rattle from inside the car to the bodywork scraping against the track. Complete realism.

The only little thing that annoys me is how easily a lap time gets ignored because you go off track. I can understand it for corner cutting but if I run slightly wide and go off for less than a second I don't see why my time shouldn't be recorded.

The only little thing that annoys me is how easily a lap time gets ignored because you go off track. I can understand it for corner cutting but if I run slightly wide and go off for less than a second I don't see why my time shouldn't be recorded.

I find the same thing infuriating, but those are the actual rules unfortunately. Turning penalties off should fix that though.

I tried my hand at Formula A cars and decided that this game isn't going to be for me long term. Even with traction / stability control on I struggle to keep the car in a straight line. Formula Rookies I'm fine with!

I find the same thing infuriating, but those are the actual rules unfortunately. Turning penalties off should fix that though.

I tried my hand at Formula A cars and decided that this game isn't going to be for me long term. Even with traction / stability control on I struggle to keep the car in a straight line. Formula Rookies I'm fine with!

If you're using a steering wheel and you're experience ''swerve'' whilst going on straight lines, it might be a smart thing to up your steering deadzone to 1-5. This sometimes happen with certain wheels and it can make your car very unstable at high speeds because the minute movements of the wheel ends up being translated into back and forth sways that ends up becoming heavier and heavier as you go faster.

Another suggestion generally is to enable a racing line, it's so much easier learning tracks and cars if you got a general gist on how far off you need to start braking.

At the moment I'm using a controller on the Xbox One and have tinkered with some of the settings, but can't quite find the right one so far.

I did some searching through some forums but a lot of setups "that work well" seem to be setup for absolute experts! I'm even struggling with the Clio's at the moment. Maybe I'm just terrible at racing games.

I'm not actually sure what the control settings actually mean, I mean, what's the deadzone mean exactly? And control filtering etc?

At the moment I'm using a controller on the Xbox One and have tinkered with some of the settings, but can't quite find the right one so far.

I did some searching through some forums but a lot of setups "that work well" seem to be setup for absolute experts! I'm even struggling with the Clio's at the moment. Maybe I'm just terrible at racing games.

I'm not actually sure what the control settings actually mean, I mean, what's the deadzone mean exactly? And control filtering etc?

Well, i'm no expert at the setups either. But I do know that the ''deadzone'' is how much of a... well deadzone there is in your controller input. Like if you move it left or right, how far it needs to go to actually be registered as an input.

This is helpful because some gamepads and steering wheels are very sensitive to steering input, so upping the deadzone a little bit gives you some leeway when it comes to keeping the car straight when you actually want it to be straight. With the deadzone at 0% it will register every movement into the game, so on sensitive wheels and controllers it might cause the car to be very unstable on straights and cause you to sway back and forth on the track.

Well, i'm no expert at the setups either. But I do know that the ''deadzone'' is how much of a... well deadzone there is in your controller input. Like if you move it left or right, how far it needs to go to actually be registered as an input.

This is helpful because some gamepads and steering wheels are very sensitive to steering input, so upping the deadzone a little bit gives you some leeway when it comes to keeping the car straight when you actually want it to be straight. With the deadzone at 0% it will register every movement into the game, so on sensitive wheels and controllers it might cause the car to be very unstable on straights and cause you to sway back and forth on the track.

Ok cheers for that. To me, the deadzone needs to be a bit higher for me then. I'll give it a whirl.

I just drove a car instead of a kart for the first time. Here is a linguistic interpretation of my first few laps.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Like 2

I've not had much use with these yet, but they seemed a bit less twitchy. Reddit seems to think highly of them.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=439605295

Control filtering is basically how accurate your inputs are. At 0,the game responds to every tiny movement. The higher the number the more it kind of averages out your inputs, so it should be smoother. Too high though and you'll basically be trying to steer a boat.

Ok, so I have learned to love the superkarts. There are insanely fast nimble and you can do some crazy stuff in high speed corners. On the other hand, they are about as stable as a 60's middle american country as even the slightest bit of kerb will throw you to the other side of the nation. Of course, AI being bullshit they just fly across the kerb (and grass) like it's made of asphalt.

AI is too much of an asshole to really race in karts, they don't care for you and will ram you all the way to next week because you're apparently not going fast enough despite beating them by a second or two every lap. So I assume that AI Karts are just a big motorized ICBM driven to fuck up your lap/race. I've had a few moments where I was literally t-boned off of the apex and whilst my kart flies into the dirt never to be seen again, the one that rammed me somehow ended up getting a better position rather than being wiped out too.

Another thing... Fuck Caterham 7's and everything they stand for. They invited me for a tournament, and in one practice session they had made me into a sniveling mess who had no racing ability whatsoever. It's like wrestling a whale across a gas-station and they are designed to just lose their tail even when you're trying to ease them through a corner. I plain hate them, it might be because i'm used to quick and light karts with massive downforce, but I just don't like road cars. I prefer a good car(kart) designed for racing.

So here's where I lost my mind. That C7 tournament was in the middle of my season, between the UK nationals which I dominated in Superkarts and the world-championship Superkarts... And those Caterham's did such a huge number on me, that I never got back into the groove of driving those Karts. The Caterham's killed my driving mojo, and as a result I had 5 terrible rounds that caused me to finish 11th of 12th in the Superkarts championship. I couldn't restart, because I disabled restarts so that i can't cheat my way to easy championships.

So to my eternal chagrin, i'm going into season 4 once more in Superkarts, having to drive the same tracks again just like last season... But I won't do it today, I'm just too annoyed with the C7's ruining my sense of driving to really focus on doing Superkarts...

Hopefully tomorrow I can just blitz through the Superkarts and hopefully for Season 5 I can step into a proper racing car. None of those Karts, and none of those road cars... I need a purpose built racing machine.

Ok, so I have learned to love the superkarts. There are insanely fast nimble and you can do some crazy stuff in high speed corners. On the other hand, they are about as stable as a 60's middle american country as even the slightest bit of kerb will throw you to the other side of the nation. Of course, AI being bullshit they just fly across the kerb (and grass) like it's made of asphalt.

AI is too much of an asshole to really race in karts, they don't care for you and will ram you all the way to next week because you're apparently not going fast enough despite beating them by a second or two every lap. So I assume that AI Karts are just a big motorized ICBM driven to fuck up your lap/race. I've had a few moments where I was literally t-boned off of the apex and whilst my kart flies into the dirt never to be seen again, the one that rammed me somehow ended up getting a better position rather than being wiped out too.

Another thing... Fuck Caterham 7's and everything they stand for. They invited me for a tournament, and in one practice session they had made me into a sniveling mess who had no racing ability whatsoever. It's like wrestling a whale across a gas-station and they are designed to just lose their tail even when you're trying to ease them through a corner. I plain hate them, it might be because i'm used to quick and light karts with massive downforce, but I just don't like road cars. I prefer a good car(kart) designed for racing.

So here's where I lost my mind. That C7 tournament was in the middle of my season, between the UK nationals which I dominated in Superkarts and the world-championship Superkarts... And those Caterham's did such a huge number on me, that I never got back into the groove of driving those Karts. The Caterham's killed my driving mojo, and as a result I had 5 terrible rounds that caused me to finish 11th of 12th in the Superkarts championship. I couldn't restart, because I disabled restarts so that i can't cheat my way to easy championships.

So to my eternal chagrin, i'm going into season 4 once more in Superkarts, having to drive the same tracks again just like last season... But I won't do it today, I'm just too annoyed with the C7's ruining my sense of driving to really focus on doing Superkarts...

Hopefully tomorrow I can just blitz through the Superkarts and hopefully for Season 5 I can step into a proper racing car. None of those Karts, and none of those road cars... I need a purpose built racing machine.

I echo the Caterham hate. They don't grip to the track at all, and I found in qualifying that the tyres don't heat up either. They stay cold, which is odd.

I'm on season 5 and still stuck in Formula Rookie. :(

• 2 weeks later...

After spending a second season in Superkarts I managed to win the championship and FINALLY got to leave the karting scene behind me.

Having had enough with open wheel cars, I decided to not sign with Formula Rookie and instead go with the Clio Cup. And I must say, the Clio's might not be as awesome braking wise or speed wise, but they are really stable on the tarmac and are a far cry from the squirrely karts I had been driving before.

I'm not as fast as the AI right now, but it's a car that really lends itself well to seeking it's limits and I hope that I'll enjoy my season in Clio Cup more than all the seasons of karts combined, because fuck Karts royally with a huge wooden ladle with spikes on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Have been playing a bit on and off. Somehow got into GT3 after abandoning a shitty Clio Cup season, so that's nice. Now got to drive the McLaren 12C-GT3, and it's a crazy experience to learn the ropes in that car when the first race is Laguna Seca with the ridiculous corkscrew at the top.

Basically the gist is, I spun out a lot, crashed even more, and generally got pissed off enough to just skip Laguna Seca. Now I have been driving around Watkins Glen, and after frustration and being pissed off a lot (especially at the rain), I am finally starting to master the car, and when you're in the zone in the 12C-GT3, it's a crapload of fun to drive around Watkins because it's a pretty smooth track to drive when you finally get down how to properly feather the throttle in the sweeping corners and make sure the backend doesn't slide out.

Turn 1 is still a bit of a terror for me, because for some reason the car just loves to lose itself and smack the inside wall when i'm coming out of that corner with too much throttle (despite having the car straightened out). But it's a damn fun track to drive around. My best result being 6th place in Q1 of the US GT3 cup (100% AI). I could have gotten pole, but I lost the car at one of the last corners and was properly distraught by that.

Project CARS is still iffy for me. The AI is way too ballsy and insane for my tastes, and they simply don't seem to notice you and will push you off the track if you get onto their line. But when you just get into a groove and aren't battling AI Cars, the game is a blast to drive. It's just loads of fun to be able to master tracks lap by lap and feel yourself improve slowly... Then try a different car and realize you gotta learn it all over again. The cars are great, the tracks are a blast too, if they could just fix the AI and the annoying setup bug (Setup not saving when returning to pit), I'd play it constantly.