NFL Thread

Guest LdE1986

Glorified Trent Dilfer? :blink:

...well, I suppose. He's got a ring and Peyton doesn't :P

But anyways, that's not even being polite to Brady. If you cannot see the comparisons between Montana and Brady then you are damn near blind. So what if he doesn't have the strongest arm in the world? So what if he doesn't have an O-Line that could protect the President? So what if he doesn't have the type of players Manning has around him? Do those things make him a bad Quarterback? No. Even with people that are highly unlikely to go too many Pro Bowls, he quietly puts up some great numbers during the year, and to add to that, he wins what counts in the NFL. You could crush the passing yards in a season record, but if you don't win the Super Bowl, what really have you accomplished? Wow, you got a nice bonus for that record there, but ya' know what? A SuperBowl ring, or perhaps 3 of them is worth more to a person, it's more valuable, more meaningful to a person than breaking a damn record will ever be, more than likely.

And if Aikman's overrated, what's Tom Brady? How about healthy? Aikman got hurt constantly with his concussions (though, so did Young, but Aikman's a pussy anyways), but Brady had what one injury? And that was in the playoffs, where he played the next week. Brady is consistent with his performance and nevers get nervous abuot things, well at least, he doesn't show it. And Aikman, well, if I had an O-Line where each of them line up looking like Semi's, then I think I would have great sucess too. And even with that line, Aikman got hurt, which is almost pitiful.

And the Pats will most definitely make the playoffs. I mean, it's not like their division is what it used to be. Sure the Jets and Bills will be contenders barring any injuries to some key stars and the Dolphins will be an improved team, but the Patriots are...well the Patriots. They could very well do what the Niners did and win 5 within a 13 year span if it keeps up.

So to call Brady a "Glorified Trent Dilfer" or calling Aikman better than Brady is laughable, because not only has Brady done this with no stars (up until the acquisition of Corey Dillon, who's still not what you would call a true star, he's a good RB, but not a true star) and what Aikman has done with the Irvin's, the Smith's, the Johnston's, and that massive O-Line he had. Aikman and Kurt Warner are in the same boat, both beneficial in their careers to a strong O-Line and great talent around them. Brady makes his teammates better, instead of vice versa.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I like about Brady is that he came from virtually nowhere, I mean I'd never heard of him till the Pats made the playoffs (form the first superbowl). And he was drafted 6th round or something? He's one of those players I just enjoy watching play, he never seems to lose control fo the situation.

Glorified Trent Dilfer? :blink:

...well, I suppose. He's got a ring and Peyton doesn't :P

But anyways, that's not even being polite to Brady. If you cannot see the comparisons between Montana and Brady then you are damn near blind. So what if he doesn't have the strongest arm in the world? So what if he doesn't have an O-Line that could protect the President? So what if he doesn't have the type of players Manning has around him? Do those things make him a bad Quarterback? No. Even with people that are highly unlikely to go too many Pro Bowls, he quietly puts up some great numbers during the year, and to add to that, he wins what counts in the NFL. You could crush the passing yards in a season record, but if you don't win the Super Bowl, what really have you accomplished? Wow, you got a nice bonus for that record there, but ya' know what? A SuperBowl ring, or perhaps 3 of them is worth more to a person, it's more valuable, more meaningful to a person than breaking a damn record will ever be, more than likely.

And if Aikman's overrated, what's Tom Brady? How about healthy? Aikman got hurt constantly with his concussions (though, so did Young, but Aikman's a pussy anyways), but Brady had what one injury? And that was in the playoffs, where he played the next week. Brady is consistent with his performance and nevers get nervous abuot things, well at least, he doesn't show it. And Aikman, well, if I had an O-Line where each of them line up looking like Semi's, then I think I would have great sucess too. And even with that line, Aikman got hurt, which is almost pitiful.

And the Pats will most definitely make the playoffs. I mean, it's not like their division is what it used to be. Sure the Jets and Bills will be contenders barring any injuries to some key stars and the Dolphins will be an improved team, but the Patriots are...well the Patriots. They could very well do what the Niners did and win 5 within a 13 year span if it keeps up.

So to call Brady a "Glorified Trent Dilfer" or calling Aikman better than Brady is laughable, because not only has Brady done this with no stars (up until the acquisition of Corey Dillon, who's still not what you would call a true star, he's a good RB, but not a true star) and what Aikman has done with the Irvin's, the Smith's, the Johnston's, and that massive O-Line he had. Aikman and Kurt Warner are in the same boat, both beneficial in their careers to a strong O-Line and great talent around them. Brady makes his teammates better, instead of vice versa.

Guest Faded Sanity

Truth and Rumors As seen at Spors Illustrated dot Com

Some pretty interesting stuff going on in the league now that the off-season has started.

The Packers are conducting business as if they think Brett Favre will be their quarterback in 2005. Favre hasn't told the Packers whether he's going to retire this offseason, but more signs are pointing to him playing in 2005 barring unforeseen circumstances. Both coach Mike Sherman and GM Ted Thompson have talked several times with Favre's agent, Bus Cook, in recent weeks, and though neither has spoken directly with Favre since the Packers' last game, Sherman said assistant coaches Tom Rossley and Darrell Bevell have been in regular contact with him.

-- Green Bay Press-Gazette

Jerry Rice retire? Someday. Maybe. When (if) Rice does retire, it will be as a 49er. It probably will be one of those ceremonial deals where the player signs a token contract with the team with which he spent his glory days, then immediately retires with full pomp/circumstance/honors. Immediate plans? Play another season for somebody? "I'm gonna sit down, give it some serious thought, see what happens," said Rice, who played for the Raiders and Seahawks this past season. "I'm gonna leave all my options open."

-- San Francisco Chronicle

Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper did not back off his comments questioning the Vikings' patience with Randy Moss, and he indicated his displeasure with the receiver's late-season antics. "It's not my decision," Culpepper said of the speculation that Moss could be traded this offseason. "If he's there, I'm cool. I'm just tired of answering all the questions about him. That's all people want to ask me about. That's my last Randy Moss question I'm answering." Pressed on the subject, though, Culpepper made clear that he wants Moss to remain his go-to receiver. "I want him as my teammate," Culpepper said. "But it's not my decision."

-- St. Paul Pioneer Press

When asked if he could coach Moss, the Jets Herman Edwards responded, "Absolutely."

-- Newsday

Yes, former longtime Browns wide receiver Kevin Johnson now plays with the Ravens. And yes, Johnson left Cleveland on stormy terms. But if the Ravens trade for Moss and part ways with Johnson this off-season -- a very real possibility -- don't rule out a potential Johnson return to the Browns.

-- Cleveland Plain Dealer

The Ravens remain in negotiations with Gary Baxter, the team's biggest offseason priority, and while the sides may not have agreed on a contract yet, they are in accord on one issue. Baxter is indeed a cornerback.

-- Baltimore Sun

Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert didn't completely reject the idea of giving multi-year contracts with big signing bonuses to players at the same position this offseason. The Steelers may be faced with that dilemma, with four-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Hines Ward expecting a contract extension and Plaxico Burress approaching unrestricted free agency in three weeks.

-- Pittsburgh Tribune Review

If the team is unable to satisfy Burress, who has said he doesn't expect to be back, Colbert and coach Bill Cowher will seek a replacement in free agency and the draft. It might be easier to find one in the draft. The free-agency class of wide receivers isn't especially deep this year. It includes Jerry Porter of the Raiders, David Patten of the Patriots, Corey Bradford of the Texans and T.J. Houshmandzadeh of the Bengals. The Patriots' David Givens is a restricted free agent, who would cost a seventh-round draft choice to sign.

-- Pittsburgh Tribune Review

If the Cowboys wanted to, they could re-sign quarterback Vinny Testaverde today, his agent said.

-- Fort Worth Star-Telegram

If the Cowboys do not sign Drew Bledsoe -- if he is cut by Buffalo -- and Testaverde returns to the Jets, these are the quarterbacks the Cowboys possibly could pursue until Drew Henson or Tony Romo is deemed ready to be the starter: 1) Drew Brees, Chargers: Keep dreaming; 2) Matt Hasselbeck, Seahawks: He's intriguing, but might require a long-term commitment; 3) Kurt Warner, Giants: His best years appear to be behind him; 4) Mike McMahon, Lions: An interesting prospect; 5) Kelly Holcomb, Cleveland Browns: Deserves another look.

-- Fort Worth Star-Telegram

The Eagles made their first off-season decision yesterday by using their franchise tag on defensive tackle Corey Simon.

-- Philadelphia Inquirer

The Eagles have until March 2 to tender an offer to restricted free-agent running back Brian Westbrook.

-- Philadelphia Daily News

Wide receiver Jerry Porter still hasn't signed a contract offer he received from the Raiders and likely will entertain offers from the league's 31 other teams once free agency starts March 2.

-- Contra Costa Times

The Redskins hope that their defense will stay largely intact. Free agent cornerback Fred Smoot appears likely to depart, but team officials continue to negotiate with linebacker Antonio Pierce, defensive lineman Joe Salave'a and linebacker Lemar Marshall, among others. Signing Pierce has been the Redskins' primary objective, and the middle linebacker said he believes a contract will be completed by the first week of March.

-- Washington Post

Whispers that Barry Stokes might be finished because of a nagging back problem are unfounded, and the veteran offensive lineman expects to return to the Giants next season.

-- New York Post

Patriots secondary coach Eric Mangini is scheduled to be in Cleveland today to talk to team officials regarding the Browns' defensive coordinator opening. Mangini was in Miami last night meeting with coach Nick Saban regarding the same vacancy on the Dolphins.

-- Boston Herald

The Raiders hired former All-Pro defensive linemen Keith Millard as an assistant defensive line coach, and he'll work with assistant Sam Clancy.

-- San Francisco Chronicle

A purchase agreement between Arizona businessman Reggie Fowler and Vikings owner Red McCombs seems to be inching closer to reality.

-- Minneapolis Star Tribune

Interesting articles.

As for the whole Brady thing, I fucking hate him. But to say he is only good because of his coachign staff is retarded. The kid is obviously a talented QB,a nd is VERY composed. I mean he was asleep in the locker room before their Superbowl against the Rams. ASLEEP. Anyways, I don't see why the Pats would get too much worse, although I hope they do as it would just help my team (Steelers).

As for the whole Buress thing, I would hate to see him leave. But I am sure they can find a good replacement who would be more than happy to join a team like Pittsburg (Jerry Porter anyone?)

Well it's soon to be official, Walter Jones looks like he will be signing a 7-year deal with the Seahawks for 50 million dollars with a 15 million dollar bonus. This came from ESPN so I'm not sure if it's final, but I expect some sort of announcement to be made about it later today if it's true. If it is indeed correct, that means the franchise tag might either go to Hasselbeck or Alexander, and I'm guessing Alexander. Hopefully one of them will take a pay cut to allow both players to be on the team, but I'm guessing that's not going to happen. Not sure what Mike Holmgreen would like, but I'm taking a guess that he likes Hasselbeck more than Alexander. That's my little spin about all of it.

Guest Bluesman

Moss is being traded to the Raiders for LB Napoleon Harris, the 7th overall pick in the draft, and a late round pick next year, according to ESPN News.

It's nice to see the Vikes were so desperate to get rid of him to allow for them to get ass raped. The Bucs gave up more to get Gruden, what a fucking joke.

Moss is being traded to the Raiders for LB Napoleon Harris, the 7th overall pick in the draft, and a late round pick next year, according to ESPN News.

It's nice to see the Vikes were so desperate to get rid of him to allow for them to get ass raped. The Bucs gave up more to get Gruden, what a fucking joke.

I think Moss will fit well in Oakland and if the deal goes down then Minny will be getting a very good return also. Harris is a good LB and the 7th overall pick is well, a 7th overall pick. Does anyone know if Ricky Williams is coming abck to the league? Last i heard he owes the Dolphins $8.6 Million. Where is he gonna get that type of money, I'm guessing football is his only option. The Raiders could use him.

Sounds like the Raiders are getting a pretty good deal, and I'm sure Moss will fit into their style of play very well.

I'm just glad the Hawks locked up two of their offensive powerhouses in Walter Jones and Matt Hasselbeck, while still keeping(at least for the moment) Shaun Alexander. Hopefully this year they can get rid of the Rams in their head and breakout of the "Heartbreak team" mold.