Mary Tyler Moore Passes Away

HailtotheYo

Sigh. I was just reading earlier that she was in "grave condition" and told GoGo that she'd probably pass away any time now. I always loved her on the Dick Van Dyke Show and her stuff on there is what got me to check out the Mary Tyler Moore Show. Absolute legend, brilliantly funny, and on a more selfish note, probably the first celebrity crush I ever had.

I just remember being pretty young and watching The Dick Van Dyke Show in syndication and thinking her and Dick Van Dyke were so funny together, even if I didn't get the jokes 100% of the time (or even 95% or 90%).

• Like 1

Ah, man. I thought she was gonna make it after all.

In all seriousness, I always liked the Dick Van Dyke Show, and just recently started watching the MTM show thanks to a marathon I caught the other day, and it was pretty awesome, too. She definitely changed both television and comedy for women. And who could ever forget her shocking heel turn at WrestleMania VI, when she voiced her unabashed support for Rhythm & Blues?

• Like 1

Don't you start 2017.....

Definitely a legend in TV history who paved the way for a lot of women in comedy. I grew up watching a lot of Nick at Nite so I've seen plenty of the Dick Van Dyke Show and Mary Tyler Moore Show among other classic shows. From what I've heard, she was in pretty bad shape the past couple years, so its a bittersweet loss. RIP MTM. :(

10 hours ago, Cloudy said:

Sigh. I was just reading earlier that she was in "grave condition" and told GoGo that she'd probably pass away any time now. I always loved her on the Dick Van Dyke Show and her stuff on there is what got me to check out the Mary Tyler Moore Show. Absolute legend, brilliantly funny, and on a more selfish note, probably the first celebrity crush I ever had.

I just remember being pretty young and watching The Dick Van Dyke Show in syndication and thinking her and Dick Van Dyke were so funny together, even if I didn't get the jokes 100% of the time (or even 95% or 90%).

Seriously, this...100%.  I mean....come on...

TCpLTkh.jpg

She was beautiful.

Also @Cloudy, its funny you say you didn't get the jokes even 90% of the time.  Dick Van Dyke always said he wrote the show so it wouldn't feel "dated".  There were never references by name to the President for example.  Granted, they used typewriters, but at the time the size of computers was expected to grow, not shrink, so you can't fault them for that. 

Dick Van Dyke actually puts it best

“My first question was, ‘Can this girl do comedy?’” Van Dyke told the interviewer. “After that I said, ‘She’s a little young for me.’ I got to be on hand and watch her grow into the talent she became. She was just the best.” Van Dyke’s doubts quickly gave way to awe; describing how Moore—a trained dancer, with only a handful of acting parts to her name—fell in with trained comics like Rose Marie and Morey Amsterdam. “But Mary just picked it up so fast. She had us all laughing after a couple of episodes. She just grabbed onto the character and literally turned us into an improv group, it was so well-oiled. That show was the best five years of my life.”