What is the greatest game series of all time?

RPS

1 hour ago, =BK= said:

Mario, Zelda or Pokemon.

Nintendo kinda rule at games.

Nintendo are the king of series. Even what I think are second tier are still better than most, like Donkey Kong and Metroid. 

For me I'd be hard press to pick a favourite from Mario, Zelda, GTA or Football Manager. But if you twisted my arm I'd have to go with Football Manager just because of the amount of hours sunk into the game over the years.

And an honourable mention to Time Crisis because I adore light-gun games and I think TC is by far the best out there. I even had the G-Con guns and a pedal when I was a nipper. And a second honourable mention to TimeSplitters. I would rim a tramp to get a HD remake or a new game.

Nobody has mentioned Resident Evil, yet?

Resident Evil 1, 2, and 3 are some of the best games of that era, and it defined the PS1's insane game library with (at that pont) amazing graphics and storylines. It lost its way after 4 with 5 and 6 being duds, but RE7 was just classic Resident Evil again.

Also, Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross, Both have an amazing at times legit emotional story, and Chrono Cross is a downright beautiful game that used the PS1's technology in the best way. GIVE ME CHRONO BREAK!

Edited by Jasonmufc

Also in terms of racing franchises, Need for Speed has to be the greatest one even though they have lost their way for longer than they have had their way. My first racer was Need for Speed 2: SE which blew my young mind. Then I got NFS3: Hot Pursuit, that gave everyone everywhere the chance to play cops vs robbers with cars!

Porsche Unleashed only had one brand of cars, but the progress in the racing was amazing going from 1950 all the way to 2000 with all the cool Porsche cars that showed up in those 50 years. Hot Pursuit 2 perfected Cops Vs. Robbers racing.

Then came Underground 1, Underground 2, and Most Wanted. The very peak of the Need for Speed series, right in the middle of the Street Racing hype, and the games were brilliant. Perfect arcade handling model, and the customization options were mind-blowing, being able to take a Mazda RX7 and pimp it out in looks and speed, kid me was in love.

Of course, afterwards the rot set in quite quickly. Carbon was a decent title, but ProStreet and Undercover weren't good. Shift 1/2 tried to bring simulation into the genre, which worked admirably, but it couldn't stack up to Forza or Gran Turismo.

I don't see NFS getting back to their level, but together with Gran Turismo they have defined what racing games had to be. Need for Speed on the arcade side, and Gran Turismo on the more straight-laced sim-ey side.