The Montreal Aftermath: WWF 1998

WWF Monday Night RAW - Feb. 23, 1998

Show Rating: 75

RAW TV Rating: 5.08

Nitro TV Rating: 5.83

IPB Image

COMING SOON: WRESTLEMANIA XIV! MARCH 29, 1998!

• DX opens the show!(Rating:85)
    • HBK and Hunter open the show outside the arena with Chyna holding a bound and gagged Paul Bearer hostage.
    • HBK congratulates HHH on his IC title shot against Ken Shamrock tonight, and wishes him luck.
    • HBK talks about how he's been able to outsmart Kane since Day 1... and tonight, he was going to put an end to Kane's title shot.
    • HBK grabs the gagged Paul Bearer and taps him on the head. He says that if Kane wants to see Bearer again, he'll do as HBK says and walk out into the parking lot at the end of the show.
    • HBK shoves Bearer out of camera range and says that he's not a man who lays down for anyone... he's going to take care of Kane... TONIGHT! Oooh.
  • Full Throttle def. Savio Vega & Miguel Perez(M:74 C:53 O:56)
    • Sexton Hardcastle and Roderick Steele are out. They fire up the crowd, and are half alright.
    • Bad TV day for the WWF, the shows was a bit off during the matches.
    • Full Throttle beat Los Boricuas in a well-contested match.
  • #1 Contendership Match: Taka Michinoku def. Scott Taylor, Suicidal Kidd, Mr. Aguila (M:92 C:70 O:72)
    • This Fatal-Fourway match has been made to declare who the number one contender to the WWF LightHeavyweight Title is!
    • Good match as all four individuals put in a show.
    • The LHW division is certainly coming into its own, with Suicidal Kidd getting a hearty amount of boos, and Taka becoming a quick fan favorite.
    • Highspots galore, bodies everywhere.
    • The finish comes when Aguila dives outside to hit a plancha on Taylor. Taka Michinoku successfully hits a Michinoku driver on Suicidal Kidd for the three-count.
    • Brian Christopher shows up with a grimace on his face and stares down Taka.
  • Ahmed Johnson def. Tom Brandi(M:58 C:58 O:51)
    • Ahmed vs. Brandi! Smell the heat!
    • Ahmed destroys Brandi in the ring, nice.
    • Jim Cornette is out and he distracts Ahmed while Kurrgan runs (walks very briskly) to the ring.
    • Ahmed sees Kurrgan, however... and he stares down the giant!
    • Cornette plants his tennis racket into Ahmed's back! OUCHIES!
    • Kurrgan grabs Ahmed... and tosses him outside!
    • Kurrgan grabs the top portion of the steel steps and throws it into Ahmed! Ahmed goes down HARD!
    • Kurrgan and Cornette celebrate their little victory while staff rush into ringside to check on Ahmed.
  • Rhodes has a proposition(Rating:87)
    • After a commercial break, Dustin Rhodes walks out. He doesn't have Charlie Scaggs with him.
    • Rhodes is in civilian wear, he asks for a mic.
    • Rhodes calls out Vince, saying that he's tired of playing Vince's games
    • Rhodes says that Vince wants him to suffer, then he'll give him a chance. If Vince is a true man, he'll walk out of here and confront him.
    • Vince is out... with about a dozen cops.
    • Vince starts barking out orders for the cops to arrest Rhodes.
    • Rhodes stops the cops and asks Vince to hear him out... hear his plan.
    • Rhodes posts a challenge... at WrestleMania XIV: Vince's Associates taking on himself, Charlie Scaggs and another wrestler in a six-man tag match.
    • Rhodes says that if Vince's Associates win... Rhodes and Scaggs will kiss McMahon's ass and will gladly go back to being Golddust and Flash Funk... heck, they'll job to anyone Vince wants... even the Brooklyn Brawler.
    • A big grin spreads on Vince's face.
    • BUT, if Rhodes and his team win... then Vince will have to give Rhodes and Charlie Scaggs full priveleges as WWF Superstars.
    • Vince widens his grin and says that he's got a deal! Vince says that starting next week... Rhodes and Scaggs will be back in action for the WWF, until WrestleMania, that is. Of course, Vince says that he doesn't know who Rhodes is going to get to team up with him, considering Vince McMahon IS the wrestling industry. But before anything else, Vince says that Rhodes is NOT a part of tonight's event and orders the cops to arrest him and throw him out of the building.
    • Rhodes fights back! But is soon overpowered. he's handcuffed and taken out of the arena to the boos of the crowd.
  • Jacques Rougeau def. Hawk(M:67 C:70 O:62)
    • It's Jacques! OY! Taking on HAWK-A-RRRRRRRRRUSH!
    • Good brawl. The crowd was into it.
    • Pierre and Ray were in Jacques' side, while Hawk had Animal.
    • Big schmozz as Ray distracts the ref, while Animal confronts him. Pierre slips a mountie's baton into Jacques, who hits Hawk in the head with his back turned.
    • Hawks drops like a log and Jacques covers for 3.
    • BONZO-GONZO! Staff run in to seperate the teams. The staff are quite busy these days.
  • Farooq draw Chainz(M:88 C:60 O:66)
    • Farooq has the Nation with him. Chainz has 8-Ball and Skull. Oooh.
    • A surprisingly good brawl from both guys... perhaps there is hope for Chainz!
    • It soon turns into another SCHMOZ and the Nation and the DOA are at each other's throats!
    • The 4 on 3 advantage is working for the Nation... but here comes Rocky, and the crowd pops big!
    • Rocky has a flapjack with him! The Nation are soon cleared out of the ring! Farooq and company are outside
    • Rocky grabs a microphone... has he joined up with the DOA!?!?
  • Rocky wants a MATCH!(Rating:78)
    • Rocky calls Farooq out! Rocky says that he didn't like being in the Nation anyway. He wasn't a black-power bitch (bleeped), he was higher than that!
    • Rocky says that he had a dozen Harleys in his mansion in Miami, and he gladly gave each and every single DOA member a brand spanking new bike.
    • Rocky says that after kicking ass tonight, he wants some revenge for last week. He wants Farooq one-on-one inside the ring!
    • Farooq ignores him as the Nation retreat backstage
    • Rocky calls Farooq a yellow sonofabitch (bleeped), and he poses with DOA to the crowd's delight.
  • HHH interview!(Rating:91)
    • HHH is backstage, being interviewed by Michael Cole.
    • HHH talks about having the opportunity for DX to hold all the gold. HBK as WWF Champ, himself as the IC Champ.
    • He says that things are going to plan... and tonight, the entire world is going to see why DX IS the premiere group in the WWF.
    • He says that he's going to take the title away from Ken Shamrock, and humiliate him in the ring.
    • Cole then asks if he's worried about JJ showing up.
    • HHH laughs and says that JJ couldn't scare a mouse if he wanted to.
    • HHH says that if JJ does decide to show up tonight, he was going to get more of what he got last week! A severe beatdown!
  • Intercontinental Title: Ken Shamrock def. Hunter Hearst Helmsley(M:86 C:82 O:75)
    • Shamrock is out. Big response from the crowd.
    • HHH walks out, Chyna's not with him (presumably guarding Bearer)
    • Big match, the crowd was hot, the match was great... but the video production was weak. It was a severely off night.
    • Shamrock had the advantage towards the end of the match, but HHH evened things up by grabbing the ref and shoving him into the turnbuckle to knock him out, and then hitting a low blow on Shamrock.
    • HHH signals for the pedigree! But wait... JJ's music starts playing! The intro lights go on, and HHH is distracted, he stares into the entranceway for a moment.
    • The crowd pops as JJ shows up from the crowd brandishing a guitar! JJ has got a big ass bandage on his forehead. HHH turns around... KABONG! HHH is DOWN, and hurt!
    • JJ jumps out, Shamrock comes to... and is quick to grab HHH's ankle!
    • The ref wakes up... sees HHH nearly crying as he is screaming for the bell to be rung. SHAMROCK WINS! SHAMROCK WINS!
    • HHH's ankle seems to be severely damaged, he's clutching it dearly. JJ smiles as he raises the borken guitar to the crowd and Shamrock clebrates. Big, big pop!
    • JR says that we're going to cut backstage, where Kane has been sighted!
  • Shawn Michaels CANNOT STOP Kane!(Rating:92)
    • In the parking-lot, we see a broken Chyna laying on top of a limousine! Shawn Michaels is there, and Kane is there as well! It seems Kane might have taken Michaels by surprise and outsmarted him!
    • Michaels however reveals a steel pipe and SMASHES it into Kane's mask! Kane reels, but is not fazed!
    • Michaels can't believe it! We hear Paul Bearer in the background "YEEEES! YEEEEEEEES! SAVE ME, KAAAAAAANE!"
    • Michaels delivers a superkick! It lands cleanly on Kane's JAW! But Kane is NOT FAZED! Kane grabs Michaels by the throat!!! CHOKESLAM ON THE CONCRETE FLOOR! MICHAELS IS DOWN! BIG CHEER FROM THE CROWD, FOLLOWED BY STUNNED SILENCE!
    • Kane grabs Michaels and lifts him up... HE TOSSES SHAWN INTO A CAR!!! The car's windshield breaks from the impact!!!
    • Security, staff and EMTs run into the parking lot, it takes about 20 men to hold Kane back... with Bearer screaming "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! KAAAAAAAAANE!" Michaels is being attended to by the EMTs! JR says that the monster Kane has destroyed Shawn Michaels!!!
    • Show ends with a shot of Shawn Michaels being attached with a neck brace. And Kane being held back by a ton of men.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just My Fucking Luck. :(:angry:

Feb. 25, 1998 - Wednesday

Credit: www.wrestlingrumormongers.com

SHAWN MICHAELS COLLAPSES DURING PRESS APPEARANCE!

WWF Champ checked into rehab

During a schedule WWF press appearance yesterday, Michael Shawn Hickenbottom a.k.a. Shawn Michaels, the reigning WWF Champion collapsed on stage. Panic soon struck the members of the press as several roadies quickly rushed to the wrestler's aid.

An emergency unit soon rushes to Michaels' aid, and he is stretchered out of the location into a nearby hospital. Michaels' medical condition is reportedly ok, but Police Officials have questioned Michaels for drugs found on his person during the routine check-up at the hospital.

Michaels has apparently volunteered to check into drug rehabilitation as part of an apparent cover-up to avoid any legal charges to be pressed against him. It is uncertain if Michaels will be out by the time Wrestlemania rolls along.

Michaels was slated to defend the WWF Title at Wrestlemania XIV on March.

You really are having a hard time of it aren't you. The only thing I can see for you to do is possibly have HBK hand teh belt over to Hunter, and Have Hunter vs Kane vs Jarrett at Mania. I can't see anyone apart from those three having the belt really.

You really are having a hard time of it aren't you. The only thing I can see for you to do is possibly have HBK hand teh belt over to Hunter, and Have Hunter vs Kane vs Jarrett at Mania. I can't see anyone apart from those three having the belt really.

Edited by wrestlingsuicide

Firstly... my sorry Wrestlingsuicide. I forgot Ray was the manager. Just a brain explosion on my part.

Great Raw. Loved the development of the Dustin Rhodes storyline (could we see the return of Austin...it is a 6-man match. He wouldn't have to wrestle much)

As for Michaels. That's a big blow, and I'm interested to see how you work the storylines into the situation. I think that the idea of Kane/HHH/Jarrett would be good for Wrestlemania.

Also, I'm not sure that the Rock and DOA go together.

Firstly... my sorry Wrestlingsuicide. I forgot Ray was the manager. Just a brain explosion on my part.

Great Raw. Loved the development of the Dustin Rhodes storyline (could we see the return of Austin...it is a 6-man match. He wouldn't have to wrestle much)

As for Michaels. That's a big blow, and I'm interested to see how you work the storylines into the situation. I think that the idea of Kane/HHH/Jarrett would be good for Wrestlemania.

Also, I'm not sure that the Rock and DOA go together.

Man that gotta suck. I have been reading over the past few hours, and was getting really excited about the Kane/HBK match. Seriously though, its like this game is out to get ya :P

But man, I hope you comeback with something twice as good now. I mean Whatever doesn't kill ya, only makes you stronger. ;)

At least you have a good explanation for HBK's absence after the brutal by Kane on Raw.

It's also a great chance for HHH to step into the spotlight. I think a really good angle would by for Triple H to defend in place of Shawn and somehow beat Kane. Have Triple H hold onto the title until HBK comes back. Then have a storyline where Triple H refuses to hand the title back to Michaels and then build from there.

WWF Shotgun Saturday Night - Feb. 28, 1998

Show Rating: 72

TV Rating: 0.04

• Full Throttle def. The Godwinns (M:75 C:55 O:65)
    • More fodder for the new talent as Sexton Hardcastle and Roderick Steele rise up the tag ranks.
    • Full Throttle hits the Sonic Boom on Phinneas to grab the pinfall win.
  • Kurrgan interview (Rating:81)
    • Kurrgan is in the studio with Jim Cornette. Michael Cole talks about how Ahmed Johnson seems to have found Kurrgan's number.
    • Cornette explodes, and says that Ahmed Johnson doesn't stand a chance againt Kurrgan!
    • Cornette talks about power, strength and fear... and that Ahmed will know the meaning of these words pretty soon.
    • Kurrgan grabs Michael Cole by the collar and then says some incoherent words at the camera before storming out with Cornette.
  • Associate Robert def. Tom Brandi (M:69 C:56 O:62)
    • Bob Holly is in the ring with Tom Brandi.
    • He makes short work of Brandi and grabs the win with a leg-drop off the top rope.
  • Replay of HBK beatdown by Kane (Rating:79)
    • Bit replay of Kane destroying HBK at RAW.
    • Cole says that HBK is in serious medical condition, and has been confined to an unkown hospital for the past few days.
    • Cole says that HBK's title defense might be in jeopardy if he doesn't return soon.
  • Brian Christopher def. Scott Taylor (M:83 C:66 O:74)
    • And we get a nice LHW match as our main event tonight.
    • Good overall action. The crowd was more into Scott Taylor than Brian Christopher... which says a lot about our current LHW champ.
    • Christopher gets the clean win over Taylor after hitting him with a solid piledriver.
    • Cole reminds us to watch Heat and RAW for updates regarding HBK's condition. With that, he ends the show.

(Up next, the monthly review)

February, 1998 Recap

Extreme Championship Wrestling

ECW continues to impress as they carry their momentum from January into the second month of 1998. Paul Heyman and his boys have been able to put on a consistent show, albeit targetted for their own specific audience. ECW's funding is running low, however, and there are constant rumors that Vince McMahon will soon be taking over the ECW prodct through a massive buy-out. Of course, these remain rumors, as Vince is continuing to put in money into Heyman's ECW through cooperative loans. There is talk of sharing ECW talent to perform in WWF shows, but that is still unconfirmed at this time. It should also be noted that after an inability to pay his fees, ECW has recently released Mick Foley from any contractual obligations. Foley now remains in limbo, as he has severed ties with WCW, WWF and ECW all in the span of 4 months. It will be interesting to see when and if Foley returns to a major wrestling company.

World Championship Wrestling

WCW's popularity is slowly ebbing away, despite all trends show that there is going to be a big boom in wrestling during the upcoming months. A raging feud between Bret Hart's Canadian Allaince and Hollywood Hogan's NWO has kept the company busy lately. There are persistent rumors that Ric Flair will not be renewing his contract with WCW, and might soon be jumping ship. WCW and WWF officials, however, refuse to comment on the topic.

World Wrestling Federation

With the aftershocks of the Montreal Incident behind them, the WWF attempts to establish a new crop of wrestlers with which to rest their hopes on. February opened with a successful In Your House show that featured a massive 8-man elimination tag that saw feuds emerge between Jeff Jarrett and Hunter Hearst Helmsley, and Shawn Michaels and Kane. Emerging from a solid rebooking were Dustin Rhodes and Charlie Scaggs, set in a feud with Vince McMahon and his Associates (little used midcarders like Bob Holly, Barry Windham and Bart Gunn) February also saw the expulsion of Rocky Maivia from the Nation of Domination, and his alliance(?) with the DOA. Kurrgan found a nemesis in the returning Ahmed Johnson, while the tag team division has expanded with the resurgent Quebecers and the new blood Full Throttle thrown into the mix with the New Age Outlaws and Legion of Doom. The LightHeavyWeight division saw an increase in popularity as Taka Michinoku and Suicidal Kidd put on one great match after another. However, the WWF also suffered a decrease in audience viewership, much like rival WCW.

Owen Hart, after several months of being paid to sit at home, was finally given his release from the company. It is believed that Owen will be joining WCW after his 1-month no-compete clause runs out. Apparently, the WWF are concerned about paying Owen a huge sum, when they could be invested in other opporunities.

A fierce blow to the WWF would be the eventual Drug Rehab of current WWF Champion, Shawn Michaels... throwing the WM14 Main Event down the toilet. Vince and company will have to work hard to make a believable scenario in which Kane will be able to challenge for the WWF Championship. With WrestleMania only less than a month away, it is going to be an interesting 4 weeks for the WWF.

Top 5 Faces:

1. Kane

2. Steve Austin

3. Rocky Maivia

4. Dustin Rhodes

5. Jeff Jarrett

Top 5 Heels:

1. Shawn Michaels

2. Vince McMahon

3. Hunter Hearst Helmsley

4. Suicidal Kidd

5. James E. Cornette

Suicidal Kidd makes a surprise appearance. It seems that the fans love to boo him but they also love watching his matches.

Guest Jorden Vandal

Wow, that's an awesome re-cap of the things going on right now in the industry. If your money is staying high enough I'd love to see you just continue to fork money out to Heyman and then sign some of his guys to open deals so they can work for both you and Heyman. I think the industry would have been alot better with ECW staying open, rather then selling to the WWE.

As far as letting Owen go, it's a shitty move just cause he's so good and there's so many possible storylines for him and the other wrestlers to be put into. But, I realize the whole Vince screwed Vince part of it and why he was sitting out his contract and you wanted to stay within the original story for the company.

Good to see you stick to that.

Anyways, it's a great read so far and I love how you do the shows. I personally don't have alot of time to put into results for my diary and I wish I would have thought of this way or adopted it from you as I feel it does a fine job giving the specifics but wouldn't take near as much time as full blown results.

Great job so far.

WWF Sunday Night Heat - Mar.1, 1998

Show Rating: 74

TV Rating: 5.46

• Charlie Scaggs def. Albert (M:69 C:52 O:60)
    • Cole and Kelly welcome us to HEAT!
    • Cole says that Vince McMahon will have a live announcement tonight, aired via teleconfernce from Titan Towers!
    • Scaggs is BACK in a WWF ring! He's going up against some fat bald guy named Albert.
    • Suffice to say, Scaggs wins via a 450 splash. Hoorah.
  • Jeff Jarrett Interview (Rating:82)
    • Cut to a taped interview of JJ
    • JJ says that he has no idea what McMahon's announcement will be.
    • JJ says that HBK got what was coming to him, it was bound to happen.
    • JJ then talks about getting HHH, and that HHH was going down the same road as HBK did.
    • JJ says that he can't wait to get into the ring with HHH, kick his ass and then dismantle whatever was left of DX. He was going to make it his own personal mission to take DX down. One guitar shot at a time.
  • Animal def. Carl Oulette (M:62 C:68 O:66)
    • Animal w/ Hawk, Carl Oulette with Ray and Jacques
    • Animal was in control, until Ray tried to interfere. The entire thing fires back on Oulette, and Animal grabs the quick schoolboy pinfall.
    • BRAWL! HELTER SKELTER! BOOYAH.
  • Kane w/ Paul Bearer Interview (Rating:73)
    • Kane is with a now free Bearer
    • Bearer says that Kane destroyed shawn last week, and that he would stop at nothing to get the title.
    • Bearer says about how DX kept him locked inside a cage... and that Kane gave Michaels the true meaning of pain.
    • Bland, bland, bland. It was a boring segment.
  • Ken Shamrock & Marc Mero def. Recon & Sniper (M:69 C:56 O:62)
    • Mero is apparently back, after a sever beatdown from the Nation a few weeks ago.
    • Shamrock and Mero KILL the Truth Commission. They rack up the win.
  • HHH Interview (Rating:83)
    • HHH is w/ Chyna, taped interview.
    • HHH says that Shawn was still hurting, and he didn't know when he'd be coming back.
    • HHH says that he knows that Vince is going to force Shawn to fight.
    • HHH talks about DX, and how they didn't give a flying fuck what Vince or the fans though.
    • HHH then says that Kane and JJ are going to get theirs... soon.
  • Rocky Maivia & Chainz def. D'Lo Brown & Mark Henry (M:72 C:62 O:67)
    • Rocky is out with Chainz. Rocky has a nice big ass bike. Wow.
    • Nice match, overall. Chainz and Henry dragged most of the action down a bit.
    • Rocky hits a massive spinebuster on Henry, while Chainz hits D'Lo with a clothesline.
    • Rocky gets the cover on Henry. But here comes the Nation! And here comes DOA! HELTER SKELTER AGAIN! Officials hit the ring and isolate both sides.
  • Vince McMahon's special announcement (Rating:89)
    • Vince McMahon is live from Titan Towers, to make his announcement.
    • Vince says that in light of the condition of Shawn Michaels, he had no choice but to declare the WWF Title as VACANT.
    • Vince says that tommorow night, a special 10-man battle royal will take place to determine which WWF Superstar Kane is going to be facing at WrestleMania.
    • Cole says that this is a HUGE announcement, and reminds us to watch RAW tommorow night! Show ends.

I'm looking for Triple H to walk out of that battle royal as the one facing Kane, even though I think you're looking to set up a Jarrett/Hunter match. It just seems like it's the only heel left in the right position for this shot.

I like this diary, but one thing I've noticed over the last little while has to go with the fury of which the fueds are drawn out. You go from all out hype, and then they slowly dwindle, then you try and give them heat again, but after the first dwindling, there isn't really a lot of heat going to bring them back. An example is the Dustin/Skaggs against McMahon storyline. It was going so well, but by adding the associates, you've driven this to complete low card status, and took the heat out of it, for me anyway.

I'm gona say that it's gonna be:

Rocky Maivia

Faroqq

Triple H

Ken Shamrock

Jeff Jarrett

Marc Mero

Kurragen

Ahmed Johnson

Then there are 2 spots I'm not aure of, I supose realisticly, someone could turn up from WCW/ECW such as Ric Flair or Stone Cold could make his return, but I really don't know. Looking forward to finding out.