American Horror Story

S.V. Ellis

Anybody else watch this? I felt like it was a pretty good pilot but I dunno if I can see it going past a season or two. Obviously that's just judging from the 71 minutes it presented but still. Standout part was a really well performed fight between the bitter husband and wife leads.

If you haven't seen it its a show about a family who move from Boston to LA into a house that has a ghost who apparently kills people who live in it? A lot of the shots made me feel like I was in a college student's Nine Inch Nails fan video.

I'd personally give it a few episodes but I dunno know how well it'll do.

I enjoyed this new show a lot. I actually heard nothing about it before watching it. I like being surprised when a new show turns out to be good. I'll continue to watch and I do hope they don't run out of material to fast, though once the characters figure out something is wrong, what stops them from leaving house...?

I am not sure what to think about American Horror Story yet. It is really creepy and odd and kind of goes all over the place which I am not big on, but it is interesting. It is like everyone has free roam of their house too and I really hate that creepy neighbor. I will continue to watch to see what develops, but yeah...very weird show. < posted this in the general thread

And yeah...I guess maybe the normal financial issue of moving maybe? And why does the dad run his job out of his home? I see many...many problems to come just for that.

• 2 months later...

I'm enjoying it, but I'm having a really hard time figuring out how they're going to do a second season of this.

Agreed. I was talking about that last night with a friend. Really feel like they blew their load too soon with a lot of stuff. I think really the only way they can keep the show interesting for more than a second season would be to get a new family in the house.

I'm enjoying it, but I'm having a really hard time figuring out how they're going to do a second season of this.

Agreed. I was talking about that last night with a friend. Really feel like they blew their load too soon with a lot of stuff. I think really the only way they can keep the show interesting for more than a second season would be to get a new family in the house.

I'm assuming that's where they are going. It would make sense to make it an anthology of sorts with a new family each season. They could even go into the past if they wanted.

ok...that season finale was just full of WTF.. o_O

ok...that season finale was just full of WTF.. o_O

Yeah, so it looks like we won't be going to the past or people are probably going to get pissed. Next season we have 3-year old Michael the Antichrist, the Harmons trying to scare people out of the house and Tate trying to get back on Violet's good side again.

A lot of people hated the finale. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm one of them. It just felt anti-climactic. I thought that the previous episode was a million times better and most likely would have been a much better finale. But, that's just a personal opinion.

Verrryyy interesting...

"American Horror Story" brought its first season to an end Wednesday night (Dec. 21) leaving the viewers wondering what is going to happen with the Harmon family and their supporting characters in Season 2. Executive producer Ryan Murphy spoke with the press Thursday and spilled all the details (without spoilers) for next season.

"The only thing I guess I will say about that is next year of the show, every season of the show, will be a different haunting," says Murphy. "What you saw in the finale was the end of the Harmon house and the second season of the show will be a brand new home or building to haunt, I guess is the proper way to put it. Just like this year, every season of the show will have a beginning, a middle and an end."

"That being said, what we're going to do with the actors is some of them will be coming back," Murphy continues. "and also new faces on the show, but [the returning actors] will be playing completely different characters. Completely different creatures and monsters, etc."

Murphy also says that this idea of an "anthology show" was the "design of the show from the beginning," which he thinks is a "cool, interesting way to tell a horror show."

Along with the new haunting, Murphy says there will be a new theme for the show.

"Every season also, along with being a new haunting, will also have a new overriding theme," says Murphy. "The theme of this year, as I've said many times, was 'infidelity.' Next year will have a different theme and a new cast of characters to go with it."

We won't have to wait to long to find out who makes up the new cast and what the new storyline will be. Murphy says the full cast and the storyline for Season 2 will probably be announced in February.

Don't worry - not all the faces from Season 1 will be gone, but mum's the word on which ones may return and in what capacity. But it won't be the same as the first season.

"Connie and Dylan will not be playing the leads on the show," says Murphy. "Their stories are done. People that will be coming back will be playing completely new characters."

"I love those characters and I mourn them, I will miss them," Murphy continues. "But I think the aspects of the show everyone loves, the mysteries and the love stories, will all be there in the second season, albeit with new actors and new characters ... I just hope that people who love the show, I can say with 100% optimism I think they will love the second season, perhaps moreso, based on what we have cooked up."

If you were a fan of the true crime aspect of the show - Mena Suvari as the Black Dahlia, for example - don't worry. That won't be going away.

"We will always have characters or real-life situations based on American true-horror crimes. I'm not interested in doing another house, just a house story. We're not going to move to Maine and do another haunted cottage," says Murphy. "There are all different types of American horror stories to tell."

"I'm really interested in serial killing stories or true crime stories or prison stories, so that's the thing. You can see as long as we all do our good work and people are continually interested, that every year on the show is almost a little miniseries in itself and can be a completely radically different type of show," he continues.

But there is one topic that is off limits.

"I wouldn't do a season about vampires," Murphy laughs. "But everything else is fair game. What we're planning now is very different from the California house approach."

We can hardly wait to find out.

So, basically, if I understand that correctly, each season is stand alone. That's actually really interesting, and I'm intrigued about how the structure of the show will work. Especially with returning actors playing new characters. I also am intrigued about the earlier sentence about next season being a new home or building to haunt. I guess there's a chance that it won't even be the same house. I'm putting my trust in the creators though.

What do you mean there's a chance? He says it won't be the same house, point blank.

I think it's an excellent idea, and with it in mind, it makes the finale seem quite a bit better, and explains why things seemed to be wrapping up so quickly. I'm really excited to see what actors they can get attached to the next season, and what type of horror they'll move onto.

I love the reactions people are having about how there's loose ends that will never be wrapped up. Go watch any anthology series.

Reading that, I changed my mind about the finale. I liked it, but as i said it was full of WTF. Now knowing that was the end of the Harmon family story, it does make far more sense then initially appeared. What he says about it being an anthology show, with a different location each season, is actually what I thought the show would be. i didn't think every season, but I figured it would be something like The Outer Limits or the Twilight Zone, focusing on one story for an episode or two then moving on.

Keep in mind, I didn't read any of the press prior to watching the show. I just wanted it based on the ads during SoA