Your favourite Roald Dahl book/story?

Liam

I actually recently got the Dahl collection in order to read the couple I never had done - primarily The BFG (good) and James and the Giant Peach (ehh...).

The one I have most fond feelings for from my childhood is Fantastic Mr. Fox. I don't think I can dislodge that as my favourite.

Less nostalgically, the trio of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda and The Witches are better books. It's difficult with CatCF because I feel like the story has been done to death (not only in films, but it's probably also the most commonly-referenced in other cultural media) and am therefore kind of bored by it...but I try not to be unfair.

The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me is criminally underrated, I should also say.

Finally, I really enjoy just what an awful life lesson everything that happens in George's Marvelous Medicine is. :lol:

• Like 1

I think the BFG has to be my favourite. The fantastical nature of these giants that run around stealing people out of their windows was just amazing when I was younger.

All are fun. I do really enjoy CatCF and George's Marvelous Medicine. May need to give the latter a repeat read.

As for shorter stories, Lamb to the Slaughter and The Man from the South are both really dark.

I always enjoyed Danny, the Champion of the World. As a child, I highly doubt I had a clue what was going on. Though, reading it years later... it's a pretty crazy story for something presented as a children's book.

• Like 1

I'm a librarian and we're all doing a big Roald Dahl thing for the summer reading challenge but I honestly don't remember reading any as a child. Possibly because my mother steered me away from them. 

I should probably fill the gap at some point. 

1 hour ago, Vamp said:

I'm a librarian and we're all doing a big Roald Dahl thing for the summer reading challenge but I honestly don't remember reading any as a child. Possibly because my mother steered me away from them. 

I should probably fill the gap at some point. 

You should.

I loved The Twits and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I really enjoyed his autobiographies Boy and Going Solo too, they're excellent reads for kids as a bridge between adult books and typical kids stories.

33 minutes ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

It's the boring choice but Charlie was always my favorite. Probably a combination of the book and the movie. Gene Wilder not Johnny Depp

Never Johnny Depp. Let's forget that movie happened.