Arsenal Thread

TMM

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arsenal lost a pivotal member of their team, losing Viera was like losing two or three players there and the fact they no longer have a spine is showing. They've lost Viera, Henry has had injury problems and does very little away from Highbury anyway and the back four are often shambolic.

I think Wenger is a twat and he get's on my nerves BUT it's not necesarily his fault the team are sliding. They're not doing well but I'm sure it's only a blip and they will again be challenging for the top 4 at the end of the season. Let's face it Fergie has lost the plot and he's still putting up a fight...

I'd suggest that Wenger doesn't know how to pick his team up after big defeats - Vieira or no Vieira. Look at the collapse after the 49 streak, or the patchy recent form. Characters like Seaman, Keown, Adams etc gave Arsenal a huge amount of resiliance and that character is absent from the current team. Whether that's because there is a distinct lack of British players is open to question.

Man Utd have the likes of Scholes, Neville, Giggs etc who care about the team, Chelsea have a group of Terry, Lampard, Cole etc. Arsenal have a captain in Henry who, while undoubtedly the best striker in the world (Ronaldinho not really being a striker), doesn't seem a natural leader, and players in Fabregras and Senderos who lack experience.

Perhaps Wenger has done all he can for Arsenal - his team were once unbeatable and his 'mind games' once infallible.

It wouldn't be impossible but I don't think it will happen myself. Wenger and the club would first have to admit they made a mistake, which they haven't been keen to do (of course it's arguable as to whether or not they did make a mistake in selling him). I also thought Vieira might have something to prove in Italy after being sold by Milan, and therefore keen to stay with Juve for a while. On top of that age isn't on his side. Realistically we'd only get a couple of years out of him before we'd have to start thinking about replacing him again. I'd rather we spent the cash on someone who's established (or there abouts) whilst young enough to run the team for a good while.

As usual there's a lot of speculation, papers claim we've more-or-less got a number of people (Theo Walcott being one). Whatever happens we do need to sign someone, preferably a defensive midfielder.

Edited by supergrass

A great thing that would help if Vieria ever di come back, we could sign two Defensive Midfielders, Vieria being one and the other someone we could mould into the new Vieria. As you pointed out his age is going against him, should he come back he could teach the new player(s) whilst helping Arsenal.

Thats whats majorly killing us is our Midfield, we have no muscle in their are infants Flamini and Fabregas get bullied.

Bringing him back would be a great move for us, when he went I knew we would miss him, but didn't realise just how much. This season has been awful for us so far, and we could do with a bit of inspiration back in the midfield. We need to sign new defenders aswell. Im not a massive fan of Laurens, and we need better backup for Toure and Campbell, because Cygan and Sendros are fucking awful. The squad need depth and hopefully Wenger will bring in a few new faces this January.

Vieira wont go back. He's said in many live reports that he too is loving it out in Italy, and he's got the likes of Thurham alongside him anyway. He's already said he wants to win the Champion League with Juventus too. Cant see there being hardly any chance of him leaving anytime soon what so ever, he's as happy as can be from what I've watched in live interviews.

Apparently Juventus dismissed this stuff over wanting Pires too, which is a shame. I still like him alot, I'd love to see him come over to Juve. Still, seems unlikely now, but hopefully the reports are wrong and we do give an attempt to get him.

Pires has six months left on his current deal, so he's now free to talk to other clubs should he want to. We've offered him a one year deal, since he's over 30 - but he wants two.

Should we give him two? If he leaves, will Henry follow?

The club has a policy regarding the contracts of players over 30 and it shouldn't be broken for anyone. I think Pires has definitely got one more good year in him, after that nobody knows. What use will it then be to have somebody on £40,000-a-week plus who might not be playing. It could end up just draining our somewhat limited resources.

If Pires is so confident he's got two more good years in him then he shouldn't have a problem in playing a year, proving himself, and signing up for another year. Bergkamp has done it for a long time now. The club aren't trying to con Pires, they're looking after themselves. As it's been said nobody is bigger than the club or its rules so I think one year at a time should be fine.

I don't want to see him leave, but I don't want our wages to be potentially stretched in a year or two.