Arsenal Thread

TMM

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The News of the World has a rumour in it today that if Arsenal were to get Tevez it would only be on a years loan - and not a permanent move due to the high transfer fee (£28m was quoted)

As great a player as Tevez is, he comes with to much baggage and bollocks. Apparently if we did loan him, we'd be loaning him from Kia Joorabchian and neither West Ham or Corinthians, so I'm still hoping for Anelka.

Arsenal's Spanish midfielder Cesc Fabregas is not interested in a move to Real Madrid or Barcelona.

The 20-year-old was rumoured to be attracting both clubs after reports he was unhappy with Arsenal's £16.1m sale of Thierry Henry to Barca last week.

But agent Joseba Diaz told BBC Sport: "These stories are normal but there is absolutely no truth in them whatsoever.

"Cesc is happy for Thierry as they are friends. But he can't wait to start the season, he is a key man for Arsenal."

Reports in Spain had suggested Fabregas was considering his future at The Emirates Stadium after Henry's exit from the club.

But Diaz says the future is bright at Arsenal and Fabregas wants to be a part of it.

He added: "Thierry was a very important player for them and it is normal that now he is no longer there, everyone thinks it is very bad news for the club.

"But Arsenal are going to buy a lot of good players and they are going to be a major team both in the Premier League and Champions League.

"Without Thierry, Cesc is one of the best players at Arsenal and this is fine for him, he is happy with the responsibility.

"At the moment Cesc is on holiday, but he is very excited about the new campaign."

Fabregas joined Arsenal from Barcelona in 2003, believing his first-team opportunities would be limited if he stayed at the Nou Camp.

The loan deal could actually work out, it'd be similar to what Liverpool have with Mascherano. An 18-month loan deal with the option to buy at the end for a fixed amount, around £18million I think.

I thought they signed him outright, and that was why his name was never brought up int he Sheff Utd/West Ham saga??

• 7 months later...

Was gonna post this in the Premier League thread but I found this first....

So an article in The Sun today points out that last time Arsenal won the league there was a spooky coincidence with this year's title race...

Feb 10th 2004 - Henry scores in the last minute to net his 19th goal of the season to give Arsenal a 2-0 win and send them 5 points clear at the top of the league.

Feb 11th 2008 - Adebayor scores in the last minute to net his 19th goal of the season to give Arsenal a 2-0 win and send them 5 points clear at the top of the league.

Coicidence? Omen?

• 2 months later...
Edelman makes shock Arsenal exit

Arsenal managing director Keith Edelman will leave the club "to seek pastures new and embark upon fresh challenges".

Edelman departs after eight years at Arsenal in which he played a key role in their move to the Emirates Stadium.

He was responsible for commercial and administrative activities and oversaw Arsenal's turnover breaking £200m.

"Under Keith's stewardship the Club has achieved record profits and the Board owes him a debt of gratitude," said Gunners chairman Peter Hill-Wood.

"Keith has played a major role in the growth of the club since he joined in 2000.

"In that time we have successfully implemented the move from Highbury to Emirates Stadium that has underpinned the future of the business and confirmed our position as one of Europe's leading clubs."

Edelman has fiercely and repeatedly rejected claims that Arsenal require outside investment to compete with Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool - their closest Premier League rivals who are all foreign-owned.

Arsenal have been subject to takeover rumours with Red and White Holdings Limited, which is jointly owned by Russian billionaire Alisher Usmanov and London-based Farhad Moshiri, upping its stake in the club to 24% to become the largest shareholder ahead of director Danny Fiszman.

American billionaire investor Stan Kroenke, meanwhile, holds a 12% stake.

Edelman is reported to hold only a nominal number of shares but his exit could spark fears of a fresh takeover bid.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Arsenal," said Edelman.

"It has been a very exciting period for the business and I am proud to have contributed to the club's many off-field achievements over the past eight years, not least the Emirates Stadium project.

"Now that we have completed our second season at Emirates, I believe it is the right time to seek pastures new and embark upon fresh challenges."

After his arrival at the north London club, Edelman completed the first strategic partnership Arsenal had entered into since forming when a 10% stake was sold to Granada Media for £77 million.

He oversaw Arsenal's re-branding and crest redesign and was later engineered a new sponsorship deal with Nike, valued at £130 million over 10 years.

With the stadium nearing completion, Edelman completed one of the largest football sponsorship deals, with Emirates Airlines for over £100 million, including naming rights to the ground.

"The board has already initiated the search for a new managing director and will update shareholders and stakeholders when appropriate," read a statement from Arsenal Holdings PLC.

"In the meantime, director Ken Friar, who has a wealth of football-based experience and business acumen having previously occupied the role of managing director (1982-2000), will assume the position of acting managing director."

Not great news. He's resigned, but the Arsenal site says the club is retaining him for a year to ensure a smooth transition into the stewardship of the next Managing Director. Thoughts?

• 4 months later...

Arsenal named their youngest ever squad for the Carling Cup game against Sheffield United - average age just 19. The 18 players that were named in the squad included 13 teenagers, and consisted of:

12. Carlos VELA (Age 19)

16. Aaron RAMSEY (Age 17)

17. Alex SONG (Age 21)

19. Jack WILSHERE (Age 16)

20. Johan DJOUROU (Age 21)

21. Lukasz FABIANSKI (GK) (Age 23)

24. Vito MANNONE (GK) (Age 20)

26. Nicklas BENDTNER (Age 20)

35. Francis COQUELIN (Age 17)

38. Jay EMMANUEL-THOMAS (Age 17)

40. Kieran GIBBS (Age 18)

41. Gavin HOYTE (Age 18)

42. Henri LANSBURY (Age 17)

43. Fran MERIDA (Age 18)

46. Abu OGOGO (Age 18)

47. Mark RANDALL (Age 18)

50. Jay SIMPSON (Age 19)

56. Emmanuel FRIMPONG (Age 16)

The starting eleven including seven teenagers and five players who were making their first start for the club.

Final score: Arsenal 6 - 0 Sheffield United.

Two goals for Bendtner, Hattrick for Vela, and one goal for Wilshere. Absolutely amazing performance from the kids.

Edited by TheArsenal

Just got back from the game, needless to say Vela was fantastic. His second goal was ridiculous, flicked it over the defender then chipped the ball over the keeper. His first goal was very 'Henry'.

Wilshere and Ramsey have a touch of the Hleb's about them, very good on the ball, incredibly fast feet, just need to work on the final ball which will obviously come with experience and being a part of the team. To be honest I fully expected us to beat them considering they weren't on the best run, but 6-0 surpassed all expectations.

• 1 month later...

Gallas has been stripped of the captaincy! I'm so happy, this has actually got me looking forward to the weekend a hell of a lot more than before. I'm hoping and praying that this means Cesc as new captain and hopefully Gallas gets sold in January/the summer.

• 1 month later...

Latest news:

Wenger - I am not interested in Shay Given

Arsène Wenger is NOT planning a bid for Shay Given.

The Newcastle goalkeeper's disillusionment with life "on and off the pitch" at St. James' Park was revealed in a statement by his lawyer, Michael Kennedy, on Friday. The statement also linked Given with three clubs, including Arsenal, but Wenger dismissed the speculation at his pre-match press conference.

"We have not made any enquiry about Shay Given," said the Frenchman. "I have a high regard for him as a player but we do not look for a goalkeeper.

"I don't believe it helps you [when players link themselves with clubs] but as well I believe it is what we call in this job 'normal business' and we have to deal with that.

"I don’t know who he has spoken to at the Club but it is not me. It doesn’t annoy me and it is part of agent’s statements.

"I believe that what is important is what happens inside the Club. You want the inside of the Club to deal well with what people say and what the comments are."

Wenger cools Arteta and Arshavin rumours

Arsène Wenger refused to be drawn on his transfer plans when he faced the media for the first time in 2009.

The transfer window opened on New Year's Day and the Arsenal manager has already been linked with a number of players, including Everton midfielder Mikel Arteta and Russian international Andrei Arshavin. Predictably the topic loomed large at his pre-match press conference on Friday but Wenger remained tight-lipped.

"Mikel Arteta is a very good player but we have not made any enquiry about him at all," insisted Wenger.

"There is no progress [on Arshavin]. If there is any progress made you will be informed, I promise you. If we buy a player you will be informed."

Wenger - My long-term future is at Arsenal

Arsène Wenger has rubbished speculation linking him with Real Madrid and reiterated that he has a “long-term future” at Arsenal.

Wenger has been in North London for over 12 years and will take charge of his 705th game in charge against Plymouth on Saturday. And, speaking at Friday’s pre-match press conference, the manager confirmed that he has no intention of moving on just yet.

When asked about reports linking him with the top job at the Bernabeu the Frenchman ruled out any move away from Emirates Stadium and insisted he was happy to work within the “restrictions” in place at his current club.

“I believe I have shown my commitment to this Club,” said Wenger. “I accepted when we built the new stadium to stay to commit my long-term future to the Club under restrictions.

“I don’t think anyone can doubt my commitment here. You can question my decisions and I accept that, but not my commitment.

“No [no one has spoken to my representatives], because I represent myself.”

• 6 months later...
Samir Nasri has sustained a fractured fibula during this morning’s training session at the Club’s pre-season training camp in Austria.

The midfielder will be out of action for two to three months. Everyone at the Club wishes Samir a speedy recovery.

Great. First training session of the training camp in Austria and someone breaks their leg. (N)

Samir Nasri has sustained a fractured fibula during this morning’s training session at the Club’s pre-season training camp in Austria.

The midfielder will be out of action for two to three months. Everyone at the Club wishes Samir a speedy recovery.

Great. First training session of the training camp in Austria and someone breaks their leg. (N)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Break_a_leg

Oh sorry. I thought it was Eboue <_<