Arsenal Thread

TMM

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An average age of 19 or something, right?

Bahahaha. Bye bye Chelsea in a few years. Forever, seemingly.

I'm sure Chelsea aren't worried. They'll just buy all the other promising players on the planet.

By the time our kids are fully ready in a few years, I'm sure Roman Abramovic will have gotten bored and bought something else.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A Chelsea romp :P

What kind of team are Arsenal putting out on Sunday? Are they sticking to the younger players?

We're sticking with the players that got us there, so Henry is 99% assured not to be in the squad. Almunia will be in goal and probably Aliadiere and Baptista up front. Also Clichy, Toure, Denilson, Walcott, Flamini and Gilberto will probably start.

Wenger said he is only playing those players who have already appeared int he Carling Cup this season. So that excludes Henry. Lehmann is suspended anyway. Players that HAVE played so far....

GK: Almunia, Poom

DEF: Clichy, Toure, Djourou, Senderos, Connolly, Traore, Eboue, Hoyte,

MID: Flamini, Song, Denilson, Randall, Fabregas, Diaby, Hleb, Gilberto, Rosicky

FOR: Walcott, Adebayor, Aliadiere, Baptista

UNUSED SUBS: O'Cearuill, Simpson, Merida, Garry, Lansbury

Eboue is out with an injury, while Clichy and Hoyte face late fitness tests. Other than that, it could be a strong side.

The likes of Connolly and Randall are unlikely to feature, Song is now on loan at Charlton, and Alumnia will definately start ahead of Poom. Clichy will be left back unless he fails the fitness test, in which case Wenger has said Traore will deputise. Wenger has said Hoyte will start unless he fails his fitness test, in which case I'd expect to see one of Toure and Djourou playing at right back, with the other accompanying Senderos in central defence.

Midfield is anyone's guess. Walcott is likely to start on the wing, either right or left. I can't see Wenger not selecting Fabregas. Any of Flamini, Gilberto, Denilson, or Diaby could play alongside him. And even Baptista has been playing alongside him as an attacking midfielder. So any of those five are an option. The remaining wing could be occupied be either Hleb or Rosicky. However it wouldn't surprise me a great deal to see someone like Flamini pushed out on the wing if Wenger really wants to stick by fringe players.

The two players playing upfront will be depend on Baptista. If he plays as an attacking midfielder then it will obviously be Aliadiere and Adebayor upfront. If Wenger goes with a different option in midfield, then I think it could be Baptista upfront alongside Aliadiere, pushing Adebayor out onto the bench.

EDIT: Typo.

Edited by TheArsenal

• 2 weeks later...

Henry ruled out for the remainder of season

By Richard Clarke

Thierry Henry will not play for Arsenal again this season.

The French striker damaged groin and stomach muscles in Wednesday’s 1-1 draw with PSV Eindhoven and, as a consequence, will miss the next three months of domestic and international football. Arsenal hope to have him back to full fitness for the start of the 2007-08 campaign.

“Thierry Henry will be out for a minimum of three months,” said Arsène Wenger on Friday afternoon.

“Unfortunately this means he will now miss the rest of this season both domestically and internationally, but we are confident that he will be ready for the start of next season.”

[ Friday, March 09, 2007]

As strange as it sounds, I'm kind of happy that he's injured. We're battling for 3rd, and truth be told I think we'll get it without Henry anyway, and this way Henry can heal up, rest and be 100% for next season. Plus it gives Baptista and Aliadiere a chance to prove that they're Arsenal-calibre players.