Book Recommendations

thuganomic

Try something from Phil K. Dick, i got to him because of "Do androids dream of electric sheep ?" (blade runner you know ^^) and found out he has a lot of very good storys, no idea if Novel already falls under the term "book" in english.

http://www.philipkdick.com/

Ore try scrolling to this sides Top 100 list, might not be all fitting your requirments but i bet something is inbetwen.

http://gutenberg.net/

Edited by Michael Matzat

Here are three books that I found enjoyable:

Survivor - Chuck Palahniuk

Choke - Chuck Palahniuk

those two were recommended to me by CSAMH

Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk

I recommend the 3rd which I have CSAMH also to thank because I never would have known about the book if it wasn't for the two above recommendations.

all three of these books are good and anything else by Chuck Palahniuk is probably good too but I havn't got to them yet.

Here are three books that I found enjoyable:

Survivor - Chuck Palahniuk

Choke - Chuck Palahniuk

those two were recommended to me by CSAMH

Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk

I recommend the 3rd which I have CSAMH also to thank because I never would have known about the book if it wasn't for the two above recommendations.

all three of these books are good and anything else by Chuck Palahniuk is probably good too but I havn't got to them yet.

Palahniuk = my favourite author. Survivor > Choke, though, but both are badass.

I thought Fight Club was done by Irvine Welsh?

Nope.

I need to clarify some things about Ed McBain:

First, he's got another series out that features a private detective character. The books are easy to recognize, because they all have names from nursery rhymes or fairy tales (one is called `The House That Jack Built'). They're not as good as the 87th Precinct books.

Ed McBain also writes as Evan Hunter. I don't remember which is his real name and which is the pseudonym, though. The interesting thing about this is that sometime this year, and novel was released that was co-authored by....Ed McBain & Evan Hunter. The way he did it was he wrote parts of it in the style he uses as McBain, and parts in the style he uses as Hunter. The back cover even has two pics on it: One of him dressed in a suit (McBain) and one of his dressed more casually (Hunter).

I haven't read the book, but I did almost check it out at the library on two different occasions.

His most famous work as Evan Hunter is The Blackboard Jungle, which was made into a movie back starring Glenn Ford back in the mid-50's.

And for the record, he has a final 87th Precinct book written and locked away in a vault titled `The End', which is to be published after his death.

If you're into sports and detectivity, I'd recommend anything by Harlan Coben. I'm not entirely sure what order they run in, but it doesn't really matter. "Fade Away" and "Darkest Fear" are my favourites. he's also got books out called "Deal Breaker," "Drop Shot," and "Back Spin" Definitely worth a read, even if it's not for a class...

"Go Now" by Richard Hell (the same Richard Hell of Richard Hell and the Voidoids) is a good one. It's a story about a junkie named Billy living in New York, it's basically about he and a girlfriend of his driving from NY to Las Vegas. It's a good read, lot's of strange happenings occur throughout it.

• 1 year later...
Guest Bosstown Boy

I found this topic.. Even though it's been around since 2004.

Anyone have any suggestions for a non-fiction book for me?

Maybe a historical book or something like that?

War of the Flowers by Tad Williams is a good, unusual style fantasy novel.

Anything by James Elroy, but particularly The Black Dahlia (which is being made into a movie atm) or American Tabloid.

Michael Crichton's Sphere or Jurassic Park (either of them) or Timeline.

Dune by Frank Herbert is one of my favourites. It's quite long-winded though, and there's a lot of pseudo-religious and "drug" experiences in there, which may not be your kind of thing. It's science fiction by the way, plus there's the option to read the also excellent second and third books if you want to carry on after the initial one.

EDIT: And I've just realised how old this topic is... :o

Edited by Scott McFly

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace is my favorite contempary piece in years.

But as far as classic literature I am always trying to push Richard Braughtigan. If you love Kerouac, Burroughs, and other beat writers Braught is your man. His books are so textured, and laced with hidden meanings. You could literally analyze the same work for years and come up with something different every day.