Warner Brothers to release its entire slate of 2021 movies on HBO Max

livid

4 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

That being said, Christopher Nolan should shut up. His insistence that Tenet -- a movie nobody who saw it seems especially passionate about other than Tom Cruise -- should only be seen first in a traditional multiplex theater (IIRC they didn't even let it be shown at drive-ins if they were in states where regular theaters were closed) is I think part of how we got here.

So, I saw Tenet at a drive-in theater. I was talking to Maxx about it the other day that I need to see it again because the sound mixing is so bad that it was harder to hear through the car stereo than it would be probably at a theater. But even then people have complained about the sound mixing. Part of me thinks he's insisting on people watching it in theaters to cover for this poor sound mixing, but it's not like it's the first time he's received these complaints... 

I love going to the movie theaters. I think it's a fantastic experience for the most part and it certainly dissuades me from getting distracted while watching something, to your point. Experiencing big events at the same time as other people (like the Avengers movies) is just such a different feeling than watching it at home. However, the prices at movie theaters have become exorbitant and some of the experiences GA mentions are certainly true. So, I could see both sides of the argument. I know that theaters aren't going to go anywhere because there's still a fervor for events that would keep them afloat in some capacity or another, but I reiterate that Chris Nolan needs to STFU cause being afraid of change is what's going to bury his career if he doesn't adapt. Look at Martin Scorsese now working with Apple+. That's another one that was complaining before reading the tea leaves.

• Like 2

I love going to the movies. It's honestly the one thing I've missed the most with stuff getting shut down. It's not always perfect and people are generally annoying but the experience can't really be replicated. I have a pretty nice TV too so it's not like it's something where I can't get a nice viewing at home. It's just not the same.

Theaters aren't going anywhere anytime soon though. Until there is a viable alternative to releasing movies in theaters that nets studios billions of dollars, they do not have the incentive to do away with it. 

Which is something Soderbergh made mention when he was asked about it. He might be a tad biased since he has a deal with HBO Max but I thought he was a lot more level-headed about it than Nolan's comments (which didn't surprise me at all).

https://www.thedailybeast.com/filmmaker-steven-soderbergh-on-hbo-max-the-death-of-cinema-and-vibing-with-meryl-streep

• Like 1

I mean, what's the alternative to WarnerMedia's plan, though? These films are in the can, or some almost are, and in a lot of places across the country, theaters are among the businesses that are shut down due to the pandemic. Would Christopher Nolan rather let his latest blockbuster sit on a shelf for a year or two while we deal with this, or does he want them to actually release movies and encourage people to go crowd together in a theater when medical professionals are telling us to social distance?

Like, yeah, I know, theaters are great and all, it's awesome to see stuff on a huge screen, blah blah blah. And I know once Warner does this, like the Hollywood Reporter says, it's hard to put the genie back in the bottle. But it's a goddamn global pandemic, you kind of have to adapt to the new (temporary?) normal.

I'm an antisocial person anyway so I much rather overpay to see a new movie in the comfort of my own home. I would throw $30 at Disney right now if they put Black Widow on Disney+. Hell, if HBO Max charged extra for these movies, I'd pay to see stuff like Dune.