The Remedy Connected Universe Thread (and also the Max Payne series and Quantum Break I guess), R.I.P. James McCaffrey

Hellraiser

Talk about everything Remedy Entertainment in here. The Control and Alan Wake games take place in the same world. Quantum Break doesn't because the IP is owned by Microsoft and neither do the Max Payne games as that IP is currently owned by Rockstar.

I'm kinda disappointed with the ending of Alan Wake II. I have to agree with Yahtzee' take on it (Spoilers for Alan Wake 1 & 2 as well as Control incoming:

Spoiler

In the end, absolutely nothing is resolved. I know that they like to keep things vague with their endings with a lot of loose ends to be tied up in future DLC or games. But with the original game, we at least knew that Alan's plan succeeded and Alice was freed from the Dark Place. And with Control, we saw Jesse shut down the slide projector and cleanses her brother from the Hiss. Whereas Alan Wake II ends on a cliffhanger. They could have at least told me whether Alan and Saga managed to re-write reality to save Saga's kid. know that there are two story DLCs coming in the future in which they will probably tie up some of these loose ends. It is still frustrating that they just left us hanging after waiting 13 years for this game. It is an awesome game otherwise.

Edited by Hellraiser

I recently tried playing Alan Wake on Steam after it being on my "I should get around to playing" list forever and I can't say I loved it. 

I found the combat to be kinda clunky and not very fun, and the VA for Alan always seemed to put the emphasis on the wrong word.

I remember I really liked Control, until I got to a certain point boss fight, couldn't beat it and stopped playing.  I keep intending on picking it up again sometime

I've come across more than one person who spoke fondly about the first Alan Wake, tried to replay it and then soured on it quickly. I thought it was a good game that could, and probably should, have been great.

Alan Wake 2 is well regarded by critics and seems to include more of the features originally planned for the first game, such as a semi-open world and a larger amount of live action content. It's something I find quite intriguing, both in a way that reminds me of FMV cutscenes in the 90s and an appreciation of Remedy's characteristic oddness.

• 3 weeks later...

The Final Draft New Game + mode for Alen Wake 2 has been unlocked with the most recent update. And yes, you have to play through the entire game again to get the real ending.

A video with all the important new content for everyone who doesn't feel like doing that:

Spoiler

Edited by Hellraiser

James McCaffrey, the voice of Max Payne, Alex Casey as well as Tom Zane in the first Alan Wake game, has passed away at age 65 from cancer.

https://www.tmz.com/2023/12/18/max-payne-star-james-mccaffrey-dead-dies-cancer/

Confirmed by Remedy:

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Sad 3

• Hellraiser changed the title to The Remedy Connected Universe Thread (and also the Maxx Payne series and Quantum Break I guess), R.I.P. James McCaffrey
  • Hellraiser changed the title to The Remedy Connected Universe Thread (and also the Max Payne series and Quantum Break I guess), R.I.P. James McCaffrey