NHL Agrees to Two-Year Deal With NBC

sahyder1

NHL Agrees to Two-Year Deal With NBC

NEW YORK - NBC will broadcast NHL games the next two seasons under a revenue-sharing deal, replacing ABC as the league's broadcast partner.

The deal, announced Wednesday, will call for NBC to broadcast seven regular-season games beginning in January and six playoff games in regular Saturday afternoon time slots. The network also will televise Games 3-7 of the Stanley Cup finals in prime time.

The two-year agreement may be renewed for an additional two years at NBC's option. The deal is subject to approval by the league's board.

For NBC, which last did NHL regular-season games 29 years ago, the deal represents a move back into televising major professional team sports. In recent years, the network has focused on events like the Olympics, Triple Crown horse racing and Notre Dame football while competitors had the NFL, NHL, NBA and major league baseball.

"We're acquiring a major, established sport that is rich in tradition," said Dick Ebersol, chairman of NBC Sports, "and we're doing it in a way which fits our strong historical commitment to financially sound deals which offer significant upside for both parties."

Still, the network is not a neophyte when it comes to hockey. The NHL's first broadcast deal, to air Stanley Cup playoff games, was with NBC in 1966.

The NHL also has a cable broadcast deal with ESPN, which the league is trying to renew.

NBC also has a revenue-sharing deal with the Arena Football League in which the network paid no rights fee.

This better involve Bob Costas in some way. Nice to see NBC get one of the 4 major sports back. Because ABC has just screwed up the NBA.

Guest bruins72

Providing that there is NHL hockey next year, this really won't affect me. We've got a local network (NESN) that is owned by the Bruins (and the Red Sox) that shows all of their games except for the few that the national networks pick up. I get to see all my Bruins games no matter what.

The reason for the lack of games is probably because of the likelyhood of a shortened season.

No point in agreeing to broadcast 40 games if the season turns out to only be 40 games.

Guest The Man They Call Puke

Here's an idea: fuck off. If you don't like hockey then there is no need to come in here and post about it.

You fuck off, excuse me for not liking hockey like most of america.

You're excused.

Now go to Starbucks and run over a faggot with your SUV. (Y)

Excuse yourself for being ignorant like most of America about stuff that isn't American and get the hell out of the thread. Admit the game is too fast for your brain to follow and move on. Simple as that. No need to comment on hockey related stuff.

Here's an idea: fuck off. If you don't like hockey then there is no need to come in here and post about it.

I would like to quote.

|| that close from a warning for trolling. **reads after Pukes first statement** Ok, now you are warned.

I think ABC has made all the sports MORE watchable, although the NBA with NBC was the best. Marv calling Jordan's playoff games was memorable, and some of the Superbowls.

I think this is good for hockey, but if ESPN is cutting their schedule in half, it's bad for hockey.